[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What really hurts worse /adv/, emotional pain or physical pain?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
What really hurts worse /adv/, emotional pain or physical pain?

Idk but I've had the extreme of depression and I've had blisters, paper cuts and bad headaches. I think I'd rather suffer severe, heart wrenching depression for life than feel the physical pain of a paper cut at max. intensity for the rest of my life. I feel like people are actually kind of proud of their depression like Van Gogh, he used it to make art. But when you have a foot full of burning blisters, you can't think of anything else.
>>
>>17286682
You aren't in grade school anymore. Not everything can be compared on a quantifiable scale.
>>
>>17286804
You're not an asshole ever, not every reply is catty and conceited.
>>
aah to be young and naive

you're really fucking clueless if a papercut gets you scared. you dont know chronic diseases/ serious accidents (both of those easily lead to depression)
>>
>>17286820
See >>17286824

I'm not even being an asshole. Just telling you the truth.
>>
>>17286824
So you really would better tolerate a whole body of paper cuts better than depression?

Are you in pain now? Because if you were, you can't even think anything but "ow" and when you're depressed you can still think and even fake happiness.

>>17286845
Idk why you take it so badly, just answer me instead of belittling me.
>>
>>17286851
you're so fucking stupid and underage its not even worth discussing the topic, just let it die

>hurrr guize is a paparcut worse than being sad
>>
>>17286851
We're belittling you because being underage is against the rules. Grow up.
>>
>>17286867
You're insulting, woo hoo. I feel sorry for you.

And the thread is emotional vs physical pain, idk why you must be petty.
>>
>>17286870
see>>17286872
>>
>>17286682
As for which hurts worse, I cant say. that varies from person to person.

But with Physical pain, you usually have a set way and sometimes can tell how long it will last. You may even adapt to it and get used to it. With Emotional, there really isnt a set way to get rid of that, and it can last for fuck knows whenever
>>
Depends on how long the physical pain lasts. I mean, getting your eyeball sliced with a razor blade every hour is much worse than going through a breakup.

Usually, emotional pain lasts longer and it's like a blanket, making everything in your life "heavier". Whereas with physical pain, it's usually focused on a single part of your body and the pain doesn't last too long. But if the physical pain lasts really, really long, like to the point where you want to kill yourself to end the suffering, then I'll take 1 emotional pain please.
>>
>>17286888
Look outside, I know that you'll recognize
it's summertime~
>>
Think about it this way.

Would you rather I cut you with a knife, or cut a close family member/friend instead?

Now you have your answer.
>>
>>17286984
Is this a question with an answer? I'd rather you cut me than anyone else, even someone I hate doesn't deserve to be involved. How dare you pose such a scenario, but if enough pain is inflicted I'd want it to end and would sell out my family perhaps, in a moment of weakness...
>>
If I inflicted enough maybe you would sell them out. To you, you are the most important thing in the world, your survival comes above all others needs, that's how we're made, we're not perfect, we're just human and live as such.

However, given the CHOICE you'd rather receive the pain on behalf of someone dear to you and spare yourself the emotional damage.

I'm giving you a very black and white scenario for you to decide upon an answer. If we begin to get into different amounts of pain inflicted than the matter becomes many different shades of grey.
>>
Okay, so the question is what hurts more.

What is the baseline?

If we're going off of pain equivalency, well then they're equivalent.

If we're comparing something like chronic depression to stubbing your toe, then we have to ask what kind of sample size we're extracting the data from.

A stubbed toe will result in acute pain for anywhere between 0-2 seconds, and an ache for anywhere between 0-20 minutes.

The physical stress caused by depression will cause a dull aching sensation for as long as the individual is afflicted.

So in that scenario, a stubbed toe wins in acute and immediate pain, but depression would win in terms of overall pain.

If we're talking about what is more debilitating overall, then I'd say depression is also significantly more debilitating than a stubbed toe.

If we're talking something more serious like say a broken bone, then it's kind of the same story. You're going to have a period of acute pain, a period of dull pain, and then that's it. Over a long enough period of time, the acute pain of breaking a bone could be surpassed by the pain of depression. It's a smaller amount of pain over a much longer period of time.

I personally prefer physical pain. Physical pain doesn't often impede me too much, it's usually very short lived, I can ignore it to an extent, and it can usually be treated.

When I was younger, I used to pretend to be a, "Stuntman" and allow my classmates to throw me off of objects, and into things. I'd do frontflips off of snowbanks and land on my ass on concrete. I'd dislocated ribs, sprain ankles and wrists, break fingers... To me, that hurt less than being alone, and always being excluded from everything.

The problem with depression though, is that when you're depressed enough, physical pain doesn't even matter. You become so separated from yourself that you don't even care anymore. Any physical pain you feel is just more but temporary pain.

I can't really tell you what hurts more, man.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.