[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I be a pilot and if so, how?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: ERAU_DB_BannerLogo_0811.jpg (230 KB, 2101x1801) Image search: [Google]
ERAU_DB_BannerLogo_0811.jpg
230 KB, 2101x1801
Subject says it all.

I'm 19 years old, male, living with mom, enrolled in Western Washington University with 105 credits under my belt, working toward a degree in archaeology with the idea of having a career working in the field someday. The reason for wanting to work in the field is because I like being outdoors and I love history. The first thing I wanted to do as a child was be an archaeologist, but I've only very recently started considering it again. The only issue is that it seems like archaeologists don't make a lot of money and the field is fairly competitive. this doesn't work super well for me as I plan on having a family someday soon and want my wife to be able to not work so as to take care of the kids. This leads into my other passion.

Like every other millennial, I love to travel. I figure the job that best allows for a life of travel while also being able to support a family is being a pilot. I started researching how to become a pilot a while ago and it seemed like the military was the best way to go. However, I have some medical issues on record from when I was younger that if the military ever found would immediately dismiss me. Which leads to the sudden realization I had today.

I got married to my friend a few months back so I could get free college. This has been working pretty well at my current university, but I realized today that I could go to any aviation school in the country for free and become a pilot that way. I heard that Embry-Riddle has 90% job placement rate upon graduation.

So this is a pretty recent idea of mine and I would really appreciate some advice on the issue. I don't really know the quickest and best way to become a pilot, but this seems like a good start. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tl;dr Should I go to Embry-Riddle to become a pilot since it's free for me or should I do something else?
>>
>>17286064
My friend goes to Embry-Riddle. He'll be a junior there next year. If you really want specific questions, I can relay them to him to answer.
>>
>>17286064
my cousin went to Embry-Riddle, he says the travel is nice but the job itself is shit. Other than take-off and landing you have nothing to do and just sit there bored out of your mind for hours, on most planes you can't even stand up or move.
>>
>>17286140
Don't most jobs end up being pretty boring? Seems like the pay, benefits, and time off are all pretty sweet.
>>17286119
I'm wondering if you have to do anything besides go to school do well in order to get a job. Do I also need to do some kind of extra curriculars of some sort in order to get a job?
>>
>>17286153
My friend is president of a plane enthusiast club there, but he does it for fun. From what he tells me extracurriculars aren't required for a job, but doing things related to the job won't hurt. And flying on your own time, too.
>>
>>17286176
Okay, sweet. Does he have any big tips for me? I've been thinking about calling an airline and seeing if I can ask a hiring manager exactly what they're looking for, is this possible?
>>
>>17286064
pilots dont work 9 to 5, you will be gone a couple days at a time, at least in the big leagues with real pay

schools that teach you like that with all of those hours are like 60k so you are saying free? it sounds too good to be true to me, but if it is, then just the value of the education would be with you forever, no matter what you end up doing
>>
>>17286201
If you could include your email or something, I could give it to him so he could email you personally. I think that would be the best and fastest way to get your answers.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.