[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>been at workplace for 6 months, work 50 hours a week >requested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: g6q9Axbz_400x400.jpg (9 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
g6q9Axbz_400x400.jpg
9 KB, 240x240
>been at workplace for 6 months, work 50 hours a week
>requested Friday off, granted
>there's three other assistants in this office, one of which who'll have to cover me Friday
>assistant #1 gets a heatstroke and may not come into office until next week
>assistant #2 has a panic attack and may come back next week as well

Would it reflect badly on me if I still take the day off?
>>
It will.

Just take Monday off instead.
>>
>>17285907

depends on what your are taking off for. if its something you kinda pre paid into or an important family thing, yeah it could. whats the full situation, why are you taking it off?
>>
>>17285907
>panic attack
>takes a week off

wew lad
>>
Did they explicitly tell you to come in? Most work places need to give 24 hour notice if they change the schedule, otherwise take your day off guilt free. It might reflect badly on you if they're the type of people who take time off like a personal affront, but they shouldn't be able to do anything to you from a legal standpoint.
>>
>>17285914
It needs to be Friday.

>>17285915
To be completely honest, an old friend is visiting from out of state and we made very specific plans. I even said so on my vacation request form; maybe I should've lied.

>>17285918
She has the most seniority here and is the kind of person that likes to wallow in her own stress.

>>17285925
No, they didn't. But we don't really follow labor laws at this place, so vacation days (or, I guess, being allowed to take unpaid time off without being fired) is just a nicety from the owner.
>>
>>17285907
>panic attack = vacations
Holy fuck
>>
>>17285941
Seems to be a pretty chill workplace, just ask about it.
>>
>>17285941

Then I would take the day off. I was a supervisor af UPS for 4 years and, while being short staffed always fucking sucked, it sucked even more if I had to pull an employee off off previously agreed time off. Their performance would be shitty and their attitude would be poisonous to the work environment. I had other employees who could compensate. They would be pissed off of course, but only for that day. There's a long lasting resentment born from not honoring my promises as a supervisor that all employees feel.

In return, perform so well when you come back to show how the owner's "nicety" pays off. Also, if he or she is the bitchy type, offer to cover the shift of someone else when the time comes.

On a side note: does the owner remember giving time off or will he or she receive a nasty surprise tomorrow?
>>
>>17285970
It is chill. The owner doesn't care how many days I take off; my concern is overloading my fellow assistants. If #1 and #2 are out, #3 assistant will have to cover everyone, including myself. I could at least help split the work.

>>17285976
I am reminding her again today and again tomorrow.
>>
>>17285907
OP here. Update, panic attack assistant came back today but not even sure why. She can barely talk, how do I politely broach the subject of asking if she's coming in tomorrow? "Hope you feel better, are you coming in tomorrow"? It's pretty hard to conceal my frustration over this.
>>
>>17287071

>hello, how are you holding up?
>range of answers from I'm fine to its rough
>That's good/I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad time. At least were almost at the weekend huh?

Hopefully you'll get an answer with something like "I'll tough through it" or "I don't think I'll make it. I need time off."
>>
>>17285907

If you requested weeks in advance, no it will not look bad. It is one of management's jobs to make sure shifts and tasks are covered when things like this happen. It also depends if they called you and asked you to come in.
>>
>>17287071
"you still got me tomorrow right?"
make sure you make gestures to show her you plan on being way too fucking drunk to be there.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.