[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a 20 year old girl and I feel really uncomfortable around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: Sad-Sunflower.jpg (595 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Sad-Sunflower.jpg
595 KB, 2560x1600
I am a 20 year old girl and I feel really uncomfortable around the opposite sex..
I don't mean guys that I am sexually attracted to (although this is significantly worse), but just men in general. I really have no idea why.

I am quite socially awkward in general, but I feel that I connect with girls so much better and basically have nothing in common with guys and nothing to talk about with them. I have gotten along with guys in the past but there's always an uncomfortable feeling inside that doesn't really allow me to be 100% myself. I am always worried that they will think I am weird, or stupid, or just not understand why I talk about or care about the things I do. I know this is irrational... But it's always on my mind :(

I'm not sure what to do to overcome this. Maybe it doesn't help that I never really had any men around me growing up and the relationship with my dad is not good.

I know this is going to interfere with me finding a boyfriend in future if it carries on. Sigh.
>>
Remember that men and women are more or less the same barring a few key physical and psychological differences (Like wanting to have sex with the opposite sex, for instance).

I know it's not much, but believe it or not it's that simple. People aren't so different, you've just got to give them a chance to show you.
>>
>I am always worried that they will think I am weird, or stupid, or just not understand why I talk about or care about the things I do. I know this is irrational...
It's not irrational; it's accurate. To the average male, you're essentially just a hole with legs. If you just accept that reality, you'll find things much simpler and less stressful.
>>
>>17285904

(Disclaimer: Female's advice)
Start by talking to men online (obviously don't send them nudes or do something stupid like that when they beg you). Preferably asexual ones or ones who are just there to chill such as yourself. Some men are just really normal people.

Sure, there's not always something in common, but you can find universal things to talk about such as:

-food
-pets
-movies
-music
-politics
-books

Ran out of ideas. Maybe try making friends with gay men first?
>>
>>17285933
Also kind of what this anon said.
If a guy likes you, it's his job to prove he's not there just for a fuck. Don't raise a finger until you like him too.
>>
>>17285904
>am quite socially awkward in general
>and the relationship with my dad is not good.
You answered your own question.

You never met a man who you had a positive relationship with.
>>
>>17285934
Thank you. Yeah that makes sense. I know they're normal and I know they are also just as nice as girls. I just need to find a way of not getting intimidated or feeling anxious in their presence. But you're right, the universal things makes sense. :)
>>
>>17285904
well, what happens when you interact with guys you're sexually attracted to?
>>
>>17285951
The truth is, I pretty much avoid guys I am sexually attracted to... But if I am around them I just withdraw completely to the point where they probably think I dislike them. That's why it sucks so much.
>>
Guy here. I think you just lack experience communicating with men. I know this feeling because I was the same with girls when I was 14-17. I had a distant mom, and I never had any common interests with them and didn't know what to say.
You just need to face your fears and gain some experience. Some will be douches, some will be nice to make themselves feel good, some will actually be decent. Kind of like girls.
>>
What are you afraid of?
>>
>>17285965
are you at least semi-attractive?

find ways to communicate with guys. force yourself to. do you know how many socially autist males there are on this board that don't have the balls to approach girls? all of them. you just happen to have a vagina and somehow found yourself in a similar situation.
>>
>>17285982
Experience probably has a lot to do with it. I've never really been close with someone of the opposite sex, the closest I have been with was a boyfriend I had when i was 16 who was physically and mentally abusive towards me, so that was not a great experience in the end.

>>17286029
That's a good question.
Maybe it's them not liking me for who I really am. I'm afraid to open up, because they will see my flaws..and i'm afraid to disappoint.
>>
>>17286049
Don't assume that all girls have it easy. Social anxiety affects both genders equally for many different reasons. (Whether I am attractive or not, it's a mental thing.)
>>
>>17286051
so you've had bad experiences with the men that were close to you. this isn't new.

you're not going to please everyone. just bUrself and find the ones that enjoy you for who you are.

or just become a gigantic slut that feeds off the attention. you'll find a meek, insecure dude to settle down with after you're done.
>>
>>17286061
even unattractive girls have it easy compared to their male counterparts.

the only females that are truly lost are the absolute bottom of the barrel but there are so few of those that no one really cares.
>>
>>17286051
Yep. Bad experience can taint the opposite sex. But you always need to remember that there are billions of men and a few bad experiences shouldn't be generalized. If you are afraid of showing who you are, try gaining experience where you can be honest without consequences and learn, like online. If you want, I can give you my e-mail, or skype and we can chat a bit.
You shouldn't be afraid though. If people like you, they will overlook your flaws. If they don't, they will look for flaws, even if they don't see one. What you should learn is how to filter out those people who are only there to validate themselves and make you feel bad and insecure.
>>
>>17286126
Thanks for the advice.
I'm usually on skype. I could add you I guess
>>
>>17286144
my skype is mullanon90
>>
>>17285904
I'd be curious to hear your voice. I can offer advice or readings (fairly adept at a few forms of divination). Down to let me hear your voice?
>>
>>17286284
Hmm probably not...
>>
>>17285949
How are you feeling now? There are guys in this thread, I'm a guy and I'm talking to you OP. What is the difference between here and in person? Figure that out and use it to your advantage. Also, the best therapy for anxiety (what you basically have) is exposure, do it more and you'll be more comfortable/ relaxed/better at it
>>
>>17286341
I've been trying to expose myself to it more, today I had a particularly bad day and needed to talk about it.

It actually feels okay talking here... not scary as such but it is very different in person for me. I guess I just feel exposed a bit. There's no time to think before speaking and things of the like which usually results in things going a bit pear shaped.

But I think exposure is key now I just need to pluck up the courage and actually do it!
>>
>>17286371
What happened to you today?
>>
>>17286384
I don't really want to go into detail because it made me feel like shit, and i've just been thinking about it way too much. It involves work and a male colleague that I have to be around all day as I am his dental assistant. As you can imagine we are in a confined space together all day and things feel very intense for me.
>>
>>17286403
Did he approach you?
>>
>>17286406
Not sure what you mean by approach?
>>
>>17286447
Made some inappropriate comment.
>>
>>17286459
Basically, yeah. It's hard enough as it is with me having to be around him all day. IDK I feel like i'm losing my mind sometimes.
>>
>>17286467
What did he say?
>>
>>17286470
Like I said, not going to go in to detail because it makes me feel like shit so yeah
>>
>>17286487
Did he criticise you, or wanted to fuck you?
>>
find someone you like and get into a relationship

your self confidence will sky rocket if you and your partner can be upfront and honest. learning about the opposite sex is really amazing. its great, i became extremely self-aware this way

don't put the opposite sex on a pedestal because while you are nervous during social interactions with the other sex they are probably more nervous than you are

we r all human
>>
>>17285933
>To the average man, you're essentially just a hole with legs

Fuck you stereotyping, feminazi cunt
>>
>>17286586
Ok, three holes. Some men are creative.
>>
>>17286586
She's not wrong, though.
>>
>>17285904
TLDR: You had bad experiences with guys and with your already existing conditions, it makes interactions with the opposite sex difficult at best.

Piggybacking off literally everyone else in this thread, exposure is the only way to fix this. The only problem is the fact that I highly doubt you are going to put any effort into taking this advice.

Set some small goals for yourself because I can tell you already are frightened by this advice.

Dont half ass this if you expect any changes to occur.

Also you do realize that sexual harassment complaints were created for the event that happened today.
>>
>>17285904
That's funny, I have pretty much the same problem as you, but with reversed genders. Wanna practice talking?
>>
>>17285904
Your behavior is completely normal. Women shouldn't have male friends.
>>
>>17286647
Yes she is, it's not men's fault she has poor taste
>>
OP is a lesbian
>>
>>17288032
>Also you do realize that sexual harassment complaints were created for the event that happened today
Brexit?
>>
>>17285904
I'm also a 20-year-old girl but for me it's other girls. I think it's because I'm afraid I'm going to be judged.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.