[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's really the asshole here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: bobby hill.jpg (7 KB, 222x249) Image search: [Google]
bobby hill.jpg
7 KB, 222x249
Part 1:
A friend asked me about an artist they're trying to commission. He thinks the artist is being an asshole. Here's the convo:

Friend:
"Hey. I decided to hire you. However, I can't do $800 for 12 pages, I have a low budget. How about $600 and I'll extend the deadline from 2 months to 6."

Artist:
"The $800 is firm, I'm afraid. The length of time is more beneficial for me because I do work full time, yes, however you must understand the amount of work it takes to create these books, no matter the content or length. Mr. Friend, I'll extend you this: if there's something in my style you really like, and really need to have, and you're not just shopping for comic artists, do yourself and the project a favor and allocate the funds that appease the artist. I by no means intend to come off standoffish or full of myself and I apologize if I do, but this isn't just another thing I do; it's a craft I respect highly, and $50 per page for having penciled, inked, AND colored, isn't even a debatable figure.
So I say again, take the time necessary to allocate the funds, if there's someone else that'll work cheaper, then by all means, but my price, already discounted might I add, remains firm.
Think it over, and let me know what you think! Cheers!"

I'm also an artist and I know this guy's artwork is really good. I told my friend that I agree with the artist and that he's being reasonable. I also told him that unfortunately there's a lot of artists who get asked to work for peanuts because a lot of people think artists are inferior.
>>
He then told me he had asked two other artist about this guy and that they thought he was being an asshole.

I said I was sorry for them.

Then he got a little upset and told me that I was the only one talking about money and that no amount of money is worth dick if you act like one.

Finally I asked what he was really asking me about; the artist's demeanor or about his pricing.

He said his demeanor, to which I replied saying that since the convo was mainly about pricing I assumed it was about money.
>>
Whoops, that's it. Forgot to add Part 2 to that one.
>>
the arrist does sound 'stand offish' but there are certain things you cant do without sounding standoffish.

its kind of like giving advice to a guy on an app like tinder. even if you do it as nice as possible they still call you a bitch because how could they possibly be wrong?

ultimately it doesnt much matter these are all just opinions. he came to you for your opinion and it didnt change his opinion.

you came to us for our opinion and it wont change his opinion.

its a never ending chain you guys created here. neither is really wrong, he tried to shop around, but the guy is either too good or too arrogant for that price and either way its his price so yeah.
>>
Your friend is the asshole. No debate.
>>
Your friend isn't wrong, it's an opinion on how the artist acted. As you said, he wasn't asking if the price was fair. The price can be fair, and the artist can still act like an asshole. I don't see exactly how it would make your friend really the asshole (unless there's something he did in response to the artist that you left out of the story).
>>
>>17285632
the artist sounded a tad unfriendly, but your friend is the asshole here. artists have to struggle with this attitude of "i'll pay you less but you get more time/something for your portfolio/coverage/whatever" all the time. so I kind of understand him
>>
>>17285661
addition:
I mean, the artist proposed a deal and made his conditions clear - your friend didn't agree. so there was no collaboration. nothing to be upset about; that's how business works, right. if your friend thinks he should get a special deal or w/e he is in the wrong
>>
>>17285632
Yep, artists can set whatever price they like for their work. Martin Shkreli was an asshole because the drugs he raised the price on was literally used to save people's lives. This guy's art is a luxury, so he can set whatever price he likes, and if your friend doesn't like it, he can just not buy it,
>>
Thanks for your input. I was just not sure about my position in the conversation or if I handled it correctly. I have to admit my friend does tend to undervalue artists, but I often feel like I can't get my point across to him. Slowly but surely, I guess.
>>
>>17285784

interesting. he wrote the comic i presume, right so hes mad that he cant pay someone for something he cant do?

maybe explain it that way.
>>
>>17285632
Your friend goes to a store where something is priced $800. He says he doesn't want to pay $800 and offers less. The storekeeper says Sorry, the $800 is a firm price and can't be changed. Your friend is offended.

Who is the asshole?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.