[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Ubuntu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: lin.png (880 KB, 1979x2186) Image search: [Google]
lin.png
880 KB, 1979x2186
How do I install Ubuntu. And do I need to do something special or the dual boot option will come up by itself
>>
download the .iso from the site, put it on a usb stick with something like win32diskimager
restart your computer boot from USB
it will display you your windows installation and give you the option of dualbooting
you will have to set up your partitions, let it run and it works pretty much out of the box.

could first run the demo version before installation to make sure it will work and safe your windows installation.

Also: find out, if you have an UEFI or CMOS installation of windows, that has to match
>>
>>17284997
I have UEFI
>>
And also what is win32diskimager
>>
>>17285029
a program to copy .iso (which are normally meant to be burned to CD/DVD) on a USB stick and make it bootable.
because windows isnt equipped with a tool for doing that.
>>
>>17285047
Download it form here ? https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
>>
>>17285052
looks good, just read in a post there, that this is a new take with less bugs: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dotnetdiskimager/

but anything should do what you need
>>
>>17285067
Someone said this one is better https://sourceforge.net/projects/dotnetdiskimager/
>>
What do you think ?
>>
>>17285079
>>17285137
doesnt matter, probably both will do the job.
in that case just try the newer one and have a backup option available
>>
This is what I use to install the ISO:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Dual-boot is an option that comes up during the installation process. Just follow the prompts- Ubuntu is very user-friendly.
>>
>>17285254
I used that when i tried to install Debian but I got stuck at the : Detect and Mount CD-ROM part. It kept telling me : An installation step failed , the following step is : Detect and Mount CD-ROM
>>
>>17285275
I had the same problem with Ubuntu. You're better off getting a DVD and burning Ubuntu to that rather than a USB stick. I tried two USB's a total of 5 times and each install failed. Put it on a DVD and installed on the first try.
>>
>>17285802
DVD or CD
>>
>>17286025
I think both but i am not sure
>>
For the larger distros of Linux, you'll have to use a DVD. A CD only has about 660 megabytes of data, and some distros are well over 1 gigabyte.
>>
>not using debian or gentoo
>>
>>17286516
So it only matters on the size. So if it's 250mb( the distro) it's better to use CD-ROM
>>
>not posting this on /g/
>>
r3333ddit can help you.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.