[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doing shit for the rightime reasons. Even if I don't want to.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: parcels.jpg (63 KB, 400x298) Image search: [Google]
parcels.jpg
63 KB, 400x298
Title says it all really. I do things because I know they are right. Just sometimes I don't want to.

One example:

>eBay purchase
>seller sends me wrong item
>they email me asking to return it
>open parcel anyway
> $160 value
> mfw I only spent $20
>could just keep it, their mistake. Not like they can do anything about it.
>actual item arrives
>don't really want to return the other parcel
>doing it anyway

I kind of want to keep it, and I know I could get away with it too.

Does that make me a bad person?

Just because I'm going to send it back, I'm not necessarily cancelling out the voice telling me to keep it.

What do you guys think? Am I a bad person inside and just denying it by doing what is right?

What would you do?
>>
Depends what the $160 package was, anon.
>>
>>17284708

You could try keeping it. You might get a court summons through the letter box one day though. See what happens, you could get away with it I guess
>>
>>17284708
This is what morality boils down to. Do you do the right thing out of social guilt, or personal guilt?

If it is only ever social guilt, then you are likely a bad person who simply doesn't want to be caught (leading to isolation etc.) Bad however, is relative - if you consistently have feelings of wanting to murder someone, that is a far different bag of worms than the urge to shoplift.

Now, personal guilt - if you genuinely feel bad for doing bad things, then you are likely a good person. On top of this, if you are compelled to do nice things for others with no expectation of a reward, that is another strong point in the favour of a good person.

But this isn't exactly fair, as most people experience a mix of both, constantly and somewhat interchangeably. For example, a good person would never hurt a dog. But lets say they are having the worst day of their life and want to scream at something living - they might just terrify a dog by screaming at them, and then feel guilt and remorse later. But in the presence of peers, maybe this person decides to not shout, because it isn't socially acceptable - it's twofokd morality. The threat of being socially isolated is a handy backup for when a good person might lose themselves for a moment.

It's messy, but always go with what feels right to you. If that is social pressure, fine, do the right thing for a shallow reason. No-one would think less of you. But don't fight your true nature out of spite - if you genuinely feel bad for doing a bad thing, it will eat away at you until you make it right.

Tl;dr - do the right thing for whatever reason feels right to you.
>>
>>17284717
Gundam model kit.

>>17284724
Thanks. I think that was what I needed to hear.

Less self doubt, make a decision and stick to it, regardless of what other people would say or think.

As long as I'm not intentionally screwing someone else over.
>>
You can either contribute to a making good society or contribute to a making a shit one. Look at the vast difference between how nice cities are around the world, it's mostly cultural.

Your intentions don't mean much, especially when you're trying to do logical backflips to justify something. Your actions are what actually has an impact.

I think your best excuse/justification here is actually shear stupidity.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.