[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got a pc question for you guys: I have an x58 platinum motherboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1455865407087.jpg (193 KB, 600x808) Image search: [Google]
1455865407087.jpg
193 KB, 600x808
Got a pc question for you guys:

I have an x58 platinum motherboard and windows 10 won't boot with a 780 gtx in it (a 3.0 card).

It makes it to the windows loading screen and stays there forever. The 780 works fine in another machine that has a 3.0 slot, it is being powered correctly in the other machine, the psu is good, the 2.0 slot is good as I tested it with a 6780, and the machine boots fine when the 6780 is in it.

I don't know what else to do. Is there some setting in bios that I have to change so the card will be "recognized?" Is this just windows 10 being gay? Again, POST is fine, it just stays on the win 10 loading forever.
>>
Try booting it in safe-mode and manually installing the driver. Shift+F8.
>>
>>17283646
Did you recently update the drivers? Is it a new win10 install?

What OS did you use previously on that machine?
>>
Go to /g/, they'll be better for this.
>>
>>17283653

Got a uefi bios and ssd, shift+f8 is a no-go.

>>17283657

I wiped the amd drivers and shut down. It isn't a new win 10 install; apparently I couldn't do one if I wanted to because the install disc I created is being ignored by the strapper.

>>17283664

/g/ is shit and everybody knows it.
>>
>>17283682
>It isn't a new win 10 install; apparently I couldn't do one if I wanted to because the install disc I created is being ignored by the strapper.

You should be able to boot into safe mode or repair an install from your install media. If your computer isn't giving you the option to boot from whatever your install media is, that's most likely an issue with your UEFI boot device settings.

Windows will also automatically offer you the option of a safe mode boot if the boot process hangs (or is interrupted) too many times (usually three or more).
>>
>>17283707

It freezes on the "please wait" screen when trying to boot from my media.

Also, the three reboots thing to go into recovery mode screen just has the dots spinning forever.
>>
>>17283822
Install your other video card, install the Nvidia drivers, put the GTX 780 back in, and see if it will boot.

This video card works ok in this machine with a different OS? Have you tried booting, say, Ubuntu? Or Win 7?
>>
>Windows 10
>>
>>17283855

It won't let me install the driver, I get an error which states "cannot find compatible hardware" and it closes itself.

The 780 works find in my ubuntu, win 7 and my other win 10 machine. It really seems like the issue is that it is in a 2.0 slot, but the whole of the internets is telling me that shouldn't matter and that the card will just not be able to pass its normal bandwidth.
>>
Gotta go to sleep, guys. Thanks for the help, if I can't figure it out by tomorrow night or for whatever reason the 3 in the 2 is the issue then I'm just going to buy a new mobo, cpu and ram... this shit is almost ten years old anyway.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.