[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't suicide socially acceptable or at the very le
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: chemist-with-vials.jpg (52 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
chemist-with-vials.jpg
52 KB, 1000x666
Why isn't suicide socially acceptable or at the very least more supported by letting people suicide correctly and painlessly?

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/01/06/top-11-professions-with-highest-suicide-rates/
>>
>>17282859
Primarily because most people suicide over temporary issues or problems they simply need help with chemical imbalance, life coaching, etc. Allowing suicide would open the door to an easy way out of most problems as well as resulting in a lot of murder/borderling murder of people pressuring other to suicide.

Though there is some merit in letting Elderly dying with honor so to speak. Canada is actually making a big move to legalize it.
>>
>>17282859
Because it is a permanent solution to a momentary problem.
People who kill themselves are pretty much always mentally ill and not in the conditions to decide what to do with themselves.
>>
>>17282859
I accept it as you're weak.
>>
>>17282859
This but also the fact that raising children is like a loan to society, and you at leadt owe us that much.
>>
see above, plus death has an impact on people. not to say that suicide is necessarily always selfish or unjustified or that someone who commits suicide wasn't suffering; but the people left behind are going to be upset by it and suffer emotionally for a while as well. in short, it's disruptive. obviously people who were close to the deceased are more bothered by it, but even classmates, coworkers etc. who may have only been acquainted with the person will usually feel something. they don't just go about their day like worker ants even though it looks like it. it still weighs on your mind. so I think societies discourage suicide partially as a larger effort to stave off unnecessary deaths.
>>
>>17282878
How does it make you weak?
You every try jumping off a building ?
>>
>>17282874
How can one ever be so lost that they are no longer "allowed" to even make their own choices? I'm sorry but that's just a shit fucking argument. No one is ever or will ever be in a place where they have the right to make decisions for someone other than themselves, except in those situations where the subject of argument is one who is entirely incapable of communicating their desires (i.e. someone in a coma or in a vegetative state).

This is all just my opinion, and I mean no offense to anyone, but I just don't see how that argument is valid in any way; that's not to say that any of the other arguments made in this thread are invalid though, just that one.
>>
>>17282874
>Because it is a permanent solution to a momentary problem
You cannot know that. I hate this phrase.
You are just assuming the default is wanting to live not wanting to survive. A lot of people don't like living.

>>17282873
This guy on the other hand makes good points

>>17283114
So it's better to live 80 years on average suffering than cause people pain for a few days?
>>
Because society has been conditioned that way. Deep down nobody gives a fuck and the whole risk to yourself thing is actually a meme and it's more of a risk to others situation if you kill yourself.

You an hero and all those people who know you and care about you will be going to grief counseling because often times they blame themselves for your death (If only I talked to him more, maybe I could've stopped this etc). They take your suicide to heart and by killing yourself you've effectively shitted on all those around you that know you. Which costs money. Money for funeral, money for counseling, money lost because you wanted to be a fuckwit and now all your friends and family are taking stress leave off work etc.

Suicide drains people. Ever heard Spock say that the needs of many outweigh the needs of one? Because killing yourself over what is really just petty shit 90% of the time is fucking stupid and while you may have peace, you just disrupted the peace that the other people around you used to have.

That's why it's seen as selfish, and that's why you're an asshole for thinking of it.
>>
>>17283226
>So it's better to live 80 years on average suffering than cause people pain for a few days?
first off, idfk, ask society. I didn't decide that.

second, yeah classmates and coworkers and shit will move on by the end of the week, but most people's families won't. their friends won't. some people never really recover from the death of someone close to them.

your tone makes it sound like you think I buy into the whole "SOOISIDE IS TEH SELFISH N NOBODY SHUD DO IT DURR" guilt trip shit. I don't. I think that yes, sometimes it is selfish. I also think it's selfish to ask someone to stay alive when they're suffering constantly with no end in sight and they don't have whatever internal fortitude some people have that allows them to be happy in spite of suffering a lot. but most people see things in terms of themselves, even when they are also trying to think of others. and if most people think a certain way, that becomes a prevailing viewpoint. hence various societies' attitudes toward suicide.
>>
>>17283444
Oh ok, i misinterpreted you.

>second ... them
Very few people never recover, most people that care move on but wish things didn't happen the way they did.

Personaly, i think it's wrong to demonize suicide but it should never be accpeted as a common place.
>>
>>17283444
> ask someone to stay alive when they're suffering constantly
Turning the life support machine off is a means to an end. My father had to do it on his mother and he said it was the hardest thing he's ever had to do in his life, and this is a guy that was in the military.

At least, that's what I hope you're talking about. Mentioning anything else that involves muh feelings omg i want 2 die :( will devalue your manhood.
>>
>people should have the right to kill themselves
>there's no other way
Wrong. So fucking wrong. There are plenty if ways to treat suicide. Therapy and medication are both effective options. As for their "right" I'm not going to say that they don't have the right to do what they want. However, we can't just live in a society that accepts suicide as something that's completely normal- that's fucked up
>>
>>17283495
>therapy and medication
>effective
Nigga say what?
>>
because stupid pieces of shit think it means you'll go to hell
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.