[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to get into HEMA (historical European martial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: 1464105714075.jpg (10 KB, 255x238) Image search: [Google]
1464105714075.jpg
10 KB, 255x238
Is there a way to get into HEMA (historical European martial arts) without surrounding myself with >pic related?

It just seems like a fun way to get really fit and learn a skill, if an impractical one, at the same time.
>>
For the record, it's not the ethnocentrists or nationalists that bother me so much as the fedoralords. Southern Califag here, if that helps at all.
>>
never heard of HEMA

is it some of meme special snowflake thing?
>>
>>17282401

not really no. thats just something you gotta deal with.

the truth is you are going for the most fedora of all martial arts, and acting like you're superior to them. sure maybe you arent fat with bad facial hair, but personality wise you arent that far off.

if you wanna do it, do it, stop worrying about what other people are doing for the exact same reasons you are.
>>
>>17282409
It's like kendo for white people.
>>
what is HEMA exactly? I thought a lot of that shit that knights used got lost/there are very little records of the actual technique they used
>>
>>17282414
>the truth is you are going for the most fedora of all martial arts, and acting like you're superior to them.
But I am, famalam
>>
if you don't want to make mail with fat racist shitheads then you should not get into the art of making mail with fat racist shitheads. Pretend you're not a white supremacist and go do karate or whatever instead
>>
See if you can find an actual fencing school that also teaches historical arts. You'll still run into a few fedoralords, but not nearly as many. You'll have to pay for the classes, but that's part of what keeps the fedoras out.
>>
>>17282530
I don't see why it has to be racist innately.
>>
>>17282401
Sport fencers are generally even more autistic. HEMAfags can still function in normal society but they're also very nerdy (for lack of a better word). If you really are interested, then go for it. Avoid the sperglords and spergqueens and enjoy the sport.
>>
They don't participate in HEMA because they're neckbeards, they're neckbeards because they particpate in HEMA.

Go at your own risk. You've been warned.
>>
>>17282406
What part of socal tho? LA or SD?
>>
>want to do a fedora activity
>thinks he's better than other fedorafags
>>
>>17283807
>swordplay is autistic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-aL49F0Jc

You'll never be as based as this guy
>>
>>17282401

Argie here.Doin HEMA at local gym.No fedoras, only nerds and average people.

Also, they couldnt do HEMA because you need physical training only to be on your feets in a fight.
>>
>>17282401
Not really, but if it makes you feel any better you get to wail on them with a fucking sword.
>>
>>17283943
>if it makes you feel any better you get to wail on them with a fucking sword.
This.
>>
>>17282633
A lot of stormfags do it to "get in touch with their roots"
>>
>>17282598
This does cost (and it can be a lot depending on what schools you have nearby) but I did this and it was honestly a fucking blast. Sport fencing looks dorky but it's incredibly fun, an amazing workout, and a lot of schools do offer historical fencing lessons as well. Mine had them back to back on Sundays -- followed up an hour-long fencing lesson with an hour-long HEMA lesson. I was fucking exhausted afterwards but it was completely worth it.
>>
>>17282418
Very little is not the same as nothing. Also, HEMA encompasses more than that particular era you have in mind. Renaissance era fencing, for example, has some manuals and plate engravings still around
>>
>>17283800
LA
>>
>>17285374
I used to train with a group in the valley, in like glendale or something. Good guys, all about the history. Super geeky fun.

I stopped so i could have more time to drink, though.
>>
>>17282418
There are manuals, they're just a bit vague in places. Basically, you try to follow the manual and fill in the gaps with what makes the most sense. This isn't some weird sport or art, this was lethal combat. The most effective and simple ideas were usually the ones that made it. Should I spin my sword around and do 20 fancy moves while going from this stance to that? No, because that would get you killed. Small movements from A to B, effective strikes and no fancy bullshit.
>>17282401
From experience, if you join a good group/club you'll be fine. The neckbeards usually drop out fairly fast because they simply can't deal with the physical exertion. The people who remain are still nerds/geeks but in a good way.
>>
>>17283818
BASED FEDORA
A
S
E
D

F
E
D
O
R
A
>>
>>17282633
It may not be innately racist. But if it attracts a bunch of racists, then those are going to be your training partners.
You could just go, and train, and not socialize with them at all outside of your training.
>>
>>17285458
Wow, you have no clue. Fascinating that you'd base your entire opinion on 1 incorrect stereotype.
>>
>>17285416
>I stopped so i could have more time to drink, though.
I can't blame you. What was the group called?
>>
>>17285458
Haha what kind of shit is this. You honestly have no idea what you're talking about and it would be better for you to quit while you're ahead.
>>
>>17285559
Academy of Arms

I recommend it, it was a great time, not overly competitive group of guys, geeky, active.
>>
>>17285559
>>17285609
t. Polfags
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.