[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /adv/ Committing to a major has been tough for me and I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Twitterdce7de3.jpg (115 KB, 605x598) Image search: [Google]
Twitterdce7de3.jpg
115 KB, 605x598
Sup /adv/

Committing to a major has been tough for me and I've always wrote off medical school, but now it seems appealing.

Considering i dont really care about my major or rather, nothing draws me in... what would your suggestions be in regards to my major as a pre med student?

Ideally it would not be something so difficult that it'd ruin my GPA, but on the other hand id also like it to be something useful in case i decide to not go the medical route or if it doesnt work out for whatever reason.

I realize interest typically plays a big role in this type of decision, but like i said, i dont really feel like I'd be more happy choosing one thing over anither in this regard... im more concerned about the job market/salary, stuff like that.

Im also wondering if anybody knows a good resource for figuring this type of stuff out. I mean, i have about 2 years of worth credit and its kinda all over the place so i figured that maybe there are certain majors im closer to if that makes sense?

Anyways thanks in /adv/ance
>>
>>17280109
Get a 4.0 doing rote memorization in psychology for bachelor's and get into medical school easy. You can always go to law school if med school doesn't pan out.
>>
>>17280113
hmm yeah maybe this... i mean, i know i kinda said im not really considering interests, but as far as interesting majors goes i'd say this one is up there...

only bad thing is that i hear it's pretty shit on its own... like i generally hear people choosing this major to get into med school or dental etc... but i just dont want to be stuck after college, not wanting to continue with education and having a useless degree...

thanks for the input, will check out the requirements for this major and consider it.
>>
>>17280129
You just gotta be mindful.
If you dont get a 4.0 in something as simple as bachelor's in psychology, how will you do remotely well in med school?
>>
>>17280161
well the thing is im already in the middle of my schooling lol so i mean my GPA is already on a path... 4.0 means an A in all classes right? Well most of my grades are A but i have a few B grades as well... so i think im somewhere between 3.6 and 3.8....

anyways, i'm not really worried... at the end of the day i can get in with less than what i already have (not that it will drop), and I might not even want to go by the end of it all lol that's why im considering a major that could be somewhat of a 'fallback'
>>
>>17280109
I did neuroscience when I was in college. I'm now thinking about trying to get into medical school and I'm set up pretty well for it, but also a lot of other things.

What appealed to me about it at the time was that it required (at my school, and many others) a very broad field of study; I had to take high level philosophy, computer science, biology, chemistry, and some pretty cool classes on the brain and human behavior and stuff. I never felt like I was locked into one shitty field and I got to be "literate" in a lot of different methodologies people use to understand the world. A lot other majors *try* to do this with bullshit like distribution requirements, but the one that I had actually demanded a truly well rounded education, and I really enjoyed it.

Wasn't crushingly hard either, although there are some science classes like organic chemistry that are usually designed to fail people out (which I think is a stupid way to teach anything in the internet age) but that was only my experience with 2-3 classes out of like 16 that I took for that major.
>>
>>17280307
thanks for the input!

really great to hear from you anon coz i actually love neuroscience and had been reading cognitive science type books in highschool for fun. sounds like an interesting major.
>>
>>17280307
Lol on second thought, i looked into this major and it seems like a lot of work... i mean if i were to just go for it and not care about my gpa i'd be ok with it, coz it's interesting and well rounded as you said... however since i want to apply to med school and could use the best GPA possible, i dont think this is a good choice for me :P
>>
File: Roofing.jpg (59 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
Roofing.jpg
59 KB, 499x500
By the way in case this makes a difference, my current "default" major is electrical engineering... im not too far into it, but i can already see that it's gonna be a pain in the ass x)

Psychology seems a lot easier however, Eeng seems a lot more practical in terms of the 4 year degree itself, without considering the med school route...

either seem fine for med school though
>>
>>17280399
I think neuroscience is going to be less work than EE, breh.
>>
>>17280458
i feel jew breh but honestly im leaning more towards psychology....

and neuroscience would be my second choice...

at this point EE is kinda off the table, just mentioned it as a means of providing some background info that may be relevant or may not be relevant, cosmically speaking of course.
>>
>>17280468
OK. Well, back when I was in undergrad all the pre-med tryhards had this spiral bound thingy that told them what they needed for applying to med school. Find that or something similar.
>>
File: garyfairy.jpg (161 KB, 750x732) Image search: [Google]
garyfairy.jpg
161 KB, 750x732
>>17280492
interesting... i know there are requierments for applying to med schools, and that this depends on the school you're going to but its generally always pretty similar...

I looked up a couple schools and found the one i wanna go for, and checked the requierments, its not much more than i already have done.... my only real concern at this point is what major to choose... lol i mean like i said psychology is my favored one from what i've researched but i'd love to find something that seems as easy, with as few extra courses needed aside from what i have, except more practical than psychology... i mean its interesting subject matter so it aint bad at all but if i could find a major with all that plus being useful independent of med/law school, that'd be ideal af desu senpai.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.