[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best trades to learn for decent career progression?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: goggles.jpg (48 KB, 540x632) Image search: [Google]
goggles.jpg
48 KB, 540x632
I live in the UK, fucked my A Levels up, now I guess my only chance is a practical trade because no University will accept me. I don't want to be a failure for the rest of my life.

Which trades are the best to go into? So far I've heard about Plumbing and Electrical work.

I am willing to learn anything that can make me money. I failed school because I got extremely bored with the homework and the constant everyday grinding just to pass tests - we didn't actually learn shit, just the words/definitions and calculations we'd need to do to pass the exams.

I am also considering the military. Is it worth going to the military to learn a trade? I think if I joined the military I would like to have the chance to go abroad, and some trades seem like they don't really deploy, unless i'm wrong.
>>
I also fucked up my A-Levels, but I did 2 years of college to get good grades and then went on to a top 10 university. I have friends that have gone on to Oxbridge postgrad courses, or lined up jobs at banks etc. You don't have to do that, you can do pretty much anything.

I think you have to know what you want in this country to get anywhere, because otherwise you'll get stuck in the shit.
>>
>>17278352
Yeah that's a big problem for me. I don't really know what I want. I'm 18 so this is basically my first real year in the 'real world' and everyone seems to know what they want, i'm just wandering around looking for some sort of guidance. Even my parents don't have any useful advice.

The only thing I've been interested in since a young age was the military, so I might just say fuck it and apply as an officer, if I fail to get in as one I will go in as a soldier.

What was your goal in life?
>>
>>17278356
I don't have a goal beyond material possessions and travel at the moment, I'm not sure what to focus on within my field.

Don't worry, no normal person has a clue. The juniors in the industries are still desperately trying to figure them out (at age 22-25). My parents didn't have a clue either. If you do get an interest or a dream company, pursue it for a while. Otherwise just pick a vague direction and keep figuring it out.
>>
>>17278356
Not the same guy but remember that you can always do more later. There are plenty of colleges that offer courses for adults, so if you decide you want a change of career later on down the line you can easily get the knowledge you need.
>>
Heating/air tech, to add to your list.

Trades aren't your only recourse, though. You can enter an associate's/certification program at a college in a practical field. For instance, my brother is 24 with his own house and debt-free right out of college with a job in computer drafting. He only went for 2 years and got an associate's degree and his work is paying for more schooling if he wants to get it.
>>
>>17278418
I'm in the UK, they really only offer bachelors degrees and apprenticeships as far as I know.

I'm trying to get a good apprenticeship but nobody gives a fuck about me since i'm a failure at school and there's 100 other people with better grades
>>
>>17278939
What are you doing to search for apprenticeships?
>>
>>17278942
gov website has apprenticeship listings, i've been applying to the decent ones on that

Are there any other resources I should know about? I've been looking for engineering apprenticeships
>>
>trades
>making money
If you want to make money go into finance. Trades are a safe route, but won't make you money.
>>
>>17279002
how would I go about getting into finance? I can't really go to university without retaking my A levels again.

What's your recommendation?
>>
>>17279007
>I am willing to learn anything that can make me money
>I am unwilling to go to university
Sorry, I missed that part. You can learn everything there is to know about finance through the internet, university is meant for networking and a way to get your foot in the door with employers, even for internships.
If you want a career that will actually make you money, you'll want at least some form of higher education.
>>
Join the military. Great way to be mature yet immature at the same time, and you can learn a variety of trades, see the world, and being in the military (at least in America) means a certain level of priviledge after you leave. Everything from benefits to preferencial hiring for employers. Oh, and free formal education (maybe?).
>>
>>17279042
>I am willing to learn anything that can make me money

well I kind of meant that in regards to a trade

If I feel like it's worth it I will go to university to study a course after retaking my A Levels, bear in mind this adds at least 1 year onto my degree due to my a levels.

What courses would I be looking at for a decent career in finance? Accounting? Banking and Finance?

What exactly is a career in 'finance'? Not trying to sound dumb, I just mean it's a damn big field and I have no business education so it's all alien to me right now
>>
>>17279098
I'm in the UK so I don't think we get the free university thing after the military, but it seems like my easiest option so far. Do you think it's realistic to be in the military for 5-6 years and then get a degree after that, and build a career then? I would be around 25-26 when leaving the military if I did 6 years, plus the time needed to build my fitness up.

So add onto that 4 years for education (A Levels + bachelors) and I'd be 29-30 before even starting a career :/
>>
>>17279116
Well, I'm a Yank, but yes. Here's why:

You'll have a career, just not a civilian one. Plenty of people enlist later than 18/19. I know people that have enlisted at age 21/22 and love what they do. People who either needed a change or quite frankly had no other options.

Idk about the UK but here depending on your job within a branch you can attend school while you serve. Upon a quick Google, it seems the British military DOES offer some form of a paid-for Bachelor's degree as well.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.