[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to deal with trans person with mental illness? Me and her
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: tn.png (275 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
tn.png
275 KB, 640x1136
How to deal with trans person with mental illness?
Me and her been friends for a while, best friends.
We haven't talked in a few months and she comes back, lord and behold she wants to be a guy.
I either want to cut it off or tell her why it's not a good idea to changes sex, what should I do?
Pic related, bitch put a conversation of what I said that triggered her
>>
>>17277899
That was a bitch move for them to put up that conversation. At this point, she doesn't respect you enough to keep your conversations private. Do you want that kind of person in your life to begin with? The other thing is that masculinity is partially something you're born with, and something you learn. It's not all born behavior. Still, I think you're better off explaining your position and then finding out what she responds. If negatively, then just cut it off.
>>
Cut if off man. They'll probably kill themselves in the next 2 years anyway so rip the bandaid off now and get the feels out of the way.
>>
>>17277899
You take them to a psych ward.

Did she ask you if it was cool to post your conversation for everyone to see?
>>
For the record, I disagree that being masculine is something innate, culture plays a big role even just determining what being a (proper) man entails.

I wouldn't bother trying to say how you feel. Obviously you're not going to convince her and she will just take more offense.

Just cut contact. If anything, mention that you feel there's irreoncilable differences, and/or that you do not appreciate her broadcasting your personal conversation.
>>
>>17277918
OP here
No.
I was a 230lbs fatass back when we were good friends. I've lost 30lbs since then, much more active and when she ended up talking to me a few months down the line, I felt like my old self that I really fuckin hated.
>>
File: carnbarn.png (10 KB, 272x216) Image search: [Google]
carnbarn.png
10 KB, 272x216
>>17277899
Op here again
She hasn't blocked me yet, so I'm going to give myself one more chance to be friends. If she does anything remotely close to this I'll probably cut contact because she's the last tie to my old life and self..
>>
>>17277919
>For the record, I disagree that being masculine is something innate, culture plays a big role even just determining what being a (proper) man entails.
I'm inclined to agree here. Maleness is innate, masculinity is not.

I would not, however, call it entirely cultural, or even culture-specific. Cultures do differ in the particulars, but there are a few things that appear to be universal, or very nearly so.

The biggest is defining yourself by the things that you DO, rather than by the things that you ARE. This has been noted in cultures throughout history, as has its opposite, which is typically considered feminine. If this friend of OP's really wants to be shown the ropes, start there.

Also important, I think, are three important traditions surrounding fighting. In most English-speaking countries, they could be rendered as follows: "don't hit bekow the belt", "shake hands when you're done" and "leave it in the ring". More broadly, this is about respecting your opponents and dropping any grievance outside the context of the fight itself. Look to the Spanish general El Cid for inspiration: he garnered great respect from friends and foes alike, including people who repeatedly switched contexts, because of his reputation for this.

Lastly, there is a certain social ideology that is nearly universal among widely respected men, though it takes many forms. Become as strong as you can, in whatever ways you are able. Use that strength to protect the weak. But strength is fleeting, so pass it on: teach others yo become strong in the same ways you are, so that they can carry on when you cannot anymore.

You want to teach your friend about masculinity? This is where you start.
>>
File: 1420317234563.jpg (40 KB, 410x410) Image search: [Google]
1420317234563.jpg
40 KB, 410x410
>>17277899
>trans person with mental illness
Bit redundant, innit?

You might as well cut your losses now. This is a lost cause.
>>
This
>>17277903

Just move on, friendships bloom and die for worse reasons than insanity mate.
>>
She instagrammed your conversation? What a bitch.
>>
>>17277987
I absolutely agree that there are large similarities, but there are differences as well. In Western countries being assertive and speaking up is generally seen as assertive and masculine. In some Asian countries where obedience is greatly valued, stepping out and voicing your opinion instead of listening would be seen as an unmanly lack of self control and knowing and respecting your position in the overall system. Just to name something.
>>
trans is a mental illness
>>
File: pls.png (16 KB, 74x70) Image search: [Google]
pls.png
16 KB, 74x70
Op here.
I've typed up my feelings about what she's doing and I've told her I want to help her.
Basically, I've given her an ultimatum that I can hide behind if something goes awry.
tl;dr of It:
"I want to help and I've talked to people who've opened my eyes a little more. If you really want to be a man, I'll teach you"
I'm regretting sending that the more I stare at this thread honestly. I'm feeling rejecting. Expect an update w/ screencap when I get a reply.
>>
File: tn2.png (112 KB, 640x721) Image search: [Google]
tn2.png
112 KB, 640x721
OP here
She seems to be sorry but I'm not going to leave my back exposed. I'm not going to let my guard down anytime soon.
>>
>>17277899
>>17278271
Sounds like the poor girl just wants to spend some time with you.
>>
File: 1461303622778.gif (480 KB, 141x141) Image search: [Google]
1461303622778.gif
480 KB, 141x141
>>17277899
>it's something you are born with
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.