[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm learnig english for 3 years. why i can't speak
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: teemo_by_juaiasi-d523mft.jpg (153 KB, 900x891) Image search: [Google]
teemo_by_juaiasi-d523mft.jpg
153 KB, 900x891
i'm learnig english for 3 years. why i can't speak english? i know the grammer %50-60, i know nearly 1000-1100 words but my speaking is terrible. and my accent is very bad.

what shoulh i do bros?
>>
Try to talk to people who speak English, read speeches, watch English news. Also, you want to make sure you learn either the U.K. English or American English. There are some subtle and other more obvious differences, some being cultural and others semantic.
>>
>>17274398
>i'm learnig english for 3 years. why i can't speak english?
English is usually considered one of the hardest languages for non-native speakers to learn.

>i know the grammer %50-60, i know nearly 1000-1100 words but my speaking is terrible. and my accent is very bad.
It's generally thought that you need about 1500 words to really start to get good with the language. "Simple English" is a good list. There's a whole section of Wikipedia written using only words from this list (it's called "Simple English Wikipedia") so you may want to look there to start.

>what shoulh i do bros?
My advice is going to be very hard, but it will help: study just a little bit of French, German, Latin, and ancient Greek. You don't need to learn these languages all the way, just some of the words and a tiny bit of grammar. You should be able to pick up enough of each one in a few weeks.

I suggest this for two reasons. One of them is that all languages borrow words from other languages, but most languages change the pronunciation and spelling of words they borrow to make them fit the new language better. English doesn't do that (very much), so understand how to spell and pronounce words that English borrowed from French, you have to know how to spell and pronounce them in French, and make them plural the way French does, and so on. It's similar for words borrowed from German. Most English words come from the four languages I mentioned, so understanding a little bit about them will help you understand more about English.

The other reason I suggest this has to do with how new English words are made. Most other languages build new words out of old ones in the same language: for example, the German "unterseeboot" means "undersea boat", for a kind of ship that goes underwater. In English, we usually build new words out of words from Latin or Greek: the English word "sumbarine" also "undersea", but we took the words from Latin.
>>
>>17274446
Also, don't feel bad that you didn't know this. Even most native speakers don't know this. But it's real, and it really helps.
>>
Do you speak it daily? Any language is easier to learn if you have to use it to interact with people day to day
>>
What's your native language(s) opie?
>>
>>17274398
The only real advice in cases like yours is:
Speak in english.
I always liked to play MMO and to get good at then I had to learn english.
The first MMO was Tibia and the only option was writting, so with my english-portuguese dictionary I did pretty good. I learn the base of the english grammar, I always checked the pronunciation and meaning of the words.
When young I would listen to songs, sing along reading the lyrics and practicing the pronunciation.
You learn a lot doing it.
I traveled to NYC and had no problem with communication, people even complimented me for my english.
If you want to speak english with someone just play a game with voice chat, get in omegle or chatroulette and talk with some strangers.
>>
>>17274398
This is the kind of things that you will only get by practicing and there's no way around it.
Try getting friends you can use your english skills with and talk to them often, a hour a day at least.
You'll improve your skills gradually.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.