[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to break up with my girlfriend of three years. We don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: suicide_rlm.gif (2 MB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
suicide_rlm.gif
2 MB, 444x250
I want to break up with my girlfriend of three years. We don't have any hobbies or interests in common, she is more family-oriented which I am absolutely not, and she is going into a law career whereas I am headed towards the arts. The only thing we have in common is sex, to be honest, and while it's good, you can get that from any relationship.

Am I an actual piece of shit for wanting to end a 3 year relationship and shatter somebody's heart just so I can "try" other women while I'm young?
>>
no, it's likely she has similar feelings and while you feel guilt for wanting to end it you will ultimately be doing you both a service before things get really shitty and end terribly, it sounds like you already know the relationship is over so while it may be painful and hard to end it it does not have to be a failure. you can appreciate the 3 years and good times you had for what they are worth and end the relationship without devaluing what you had.

you should probably talk about all of this with her though.
>>
>>17273724
I tried to bring it up last night but she got teary-eyed and started crying at the thought of us not being together anymore. I hadn't even said anything about breaking up, just discussing the future of our relationship.
>>
Not an asshole, but seems like a mistake. Finding a girl that is loyal, brings in money, and you can trust is not easy. I dunno the dating situation in your area, but it seems like its been getting worse and worse everywhere. Love isn't something you're gonna find suddenly and keep forever, its comes more down to still liking and, more then liking, being able to trust that person. Leting go of a relationship with trust built to explore options is a high risk low reward situation in my opinion. Unless you don't see a happy future staying with her that is. Interest and family details aren't as important as you think, yes its good to have things in common, but having your own interests has its benefits as well.

Basically my entire advice is don't break up because you assume you'll get a better relationship with someone who also likes arting. That might not be the case at all, just because they art doesn't mean they don't yell for an hour when you forget to take the trash out.
>>
>>17273717
>Am I an actual piece of shit for wanting to end a 3 year relationship and shatter somebody's heart just so I can "try" other women while I'm young?

Not an actual piece of shit, but a metaphorical piece of shit, yes.
>>
>>17273767
Good points.

Here's something else to consider though. I'm still in my early twenties, and I've only been in two relationships including this one. I really don't want to wake up 10 or 20 years from now and have a crisis because I didn't explore my sexuality in my youth. I have no idea what I'm missing. I have no idea if this is love or not.
>>
>>17273787
>sexual exploration.

Overrated.

You have found a girl who loves you who is going to be a lawyer. Assuming she can find a job (market is bad for lawyers in the US, idk where you're from). What kinds of hobbies do you not have in common?
>>
>>17273824
I'm really into art and music, also film, reading, games, costuming, stuff like that.

It feels like she doesn't have any interests. She used to like reading but not hasn't read a book in years. Our taste in TV and film is worlds apart and she spends most of her time doing errands for her family. She's very career-driven and talks a lot about how much she wants money for "nice things" and I don't really understand people like that.

I feel like a dickhead describing her like this but I think it's accurate.
>>
>>17273787
On the other hand you may wake up 10 to 20 years wondering if you let a good thing go. Sleeping with other girls wont tell you whats love, if i were you i would brake up with this girl, you clearly arent in love and dont want this
>>
>>17273842
You might be right dude.

To be fair I think I've only fallen out of love with her recently.
>>
I can already see this woman either getting tired of OP for being in a loveless relationship (they can pick up on this shit, why else did she put on the waterworks when you tried breaking it off) or divorce raping him in the future if they get married.

If you can't give her what she wants, break it off. It's as simple as that and doesn't make you an asshole. If not, work on the relationship with her.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.