[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'll be driving half-way across the country for the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1392420659465.jpg (86 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1392420659465.jpg
86 KB, 450x600
I'll be driving half-way across the country for the first time starting tomorrow. Any advice for long distance driving?
>>
>>17273284
Don't run out of gas. You don't want to get stuck in the bumblescum middle of nowhere.

Don't ever drive while tired. Always take the time for a rest stop.

Make sure your tire pressures are up to spec. Have extra fluids for your car.
>>
>>17273380
Thanks
>>
>>17273284
Mixtape. Food.
>>
>>17273284
>Don't ever drive while tired.
Came here to post this. Driving tired can be worse than driving drunk.

Unless you have a tight deadline, just take your time and enjoy the sights.

Truck stops are great, especially when you find one in the middle of nowhere. They're like gas stations 2.0. Plenty of supplies, hot food, lots of bathrooms, room to stretch your legs. Some even have showers if need be.
>>
Do a full check everyday of your vehicle before departure, check (and carry in case you need to top up) fluids, tire pressure, check if all your lights are working, check windshield wiper, see if your defroster and A/C are working, finally make sure you have a complete emergency kit for tire change, with street sign/cone and if you want to feel even safer take along a first aid kit.

Also before you depart on your trip take your vehicle to have the tires aligned and balanced properly.

Carry printed maps in case your GPS devices decide to fuck up.

Also like other anons have said make sure you don't drive tired, take time to get rest, carry food (non perishable is best) and water.

Good luck OP.
>>
>>17273415
>Another thing to add (can't help it, I'm from /o/) about tire changing: think twice about pulling over on a busy highway to change a flat. The general public is so fucking unaware while driving on the highway that you'll get mowed down in no time.

Easy tip for keeping control of your car after a tire blowout: Lift off the gas gently while keeping the steering wheel straight.
>>
All are great tips. I'd like to add reflective gear for road side emergencies. Make your self visible so that fucktard drivers can see you. For example, use road side flares/cones and a safety vest.

I like to refill at a half tank of gas - you'll never know when there won't be another gas station.

Get a Styrofoam cup and fill with ice - like from a gas station - and get a gallon of water. Keep refilling as needed and you'll have cold, refreshing drinking water.

I enjoy good books on audio tapes - i just download 'em to my music player and listen to 'em while I drive.

And don't forget to check the spare tire! Make sure it's correctly filled up to proper pressure.
>>
>>17273284
Music.

And when you get tired, pull to an exit and sleep a bit. But lock the doors cause I did that once and some guy came up and started banging on my window so I drove away.

Also find a McDonalds and sleep out of your car if you want. That's what I did, even in parts of LA with fighting outside til about 4am and the police showed up but I stayed hidden under a blanket in my car hoping nobody would think twice about it.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.