[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cheapest way to move across country?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1464110244171.jpg (556 KB, 2560x1707) Image search: [Google]
1464110244171.jpg
556 KB, 2560x1707
Gearing up for an 800 mile move in a couple weeks, what's the cheapest way to do it?

I looked in renting a U-Haul. They quoted me $800 for the smallest U-Haul, and don't have any cargo vans available

ABF U-Pack, one of those 'moving pod' companies quoted me a similar price

I don't even have a lot of crap, I'm going to ditch most of my current furniture. Mostly books, clothes, computer, music, electronics that would fit in a small van
>>
>>17272648

I just moved 2000 miles away for nearly nothing.

>$200 plane ticket
>$200 for parents to ship my shit to me, or do this yourself if you already have an address, about 4-5 standard size moving boxes (I used assorted size boxes usually much smaller, but if I had packed like that it would be 4-5). One box camping shit, one box bedding, one box clothes, one box shoes and assorted stuff, and then some other shit that maybe would be half a box. Use parcel post.

It's cheaper to get rid of all your shit. Read the Lifechanging Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. You can kill it in one day and I highly recommend it.

Get rid of all furniture, kitchen items (except maybe a good knife and a few high quality teas/spices), all books, cds, dvds, bds, and most other stuff. i started paring down months in advance and managed to sell most of it rather than just dump it at goodwill. You said you only have weeks...you already fucked up. However, think penny wise pound foolish. If you're too much of a scrooge to donate something you could have sold for $20, and you pay $40 to ship it instead, you're a moron.

Also think about the time spent driving. Days of your life in a very stressful and exhausting situation. Just fly, it's faster and easier. I ended up living out of a duffel bag and backpack for two weeks, it was actually pretty awesome.

Buy new shit secondhand and it's dirt cheap.

Think about it: is your fucking shit even worth $800? Could you buy it all again used for 800? No? Less? Then it's not worth moving.
>>
>>17272862

Also I say $200 to ship my shit, I don't really know how much it will end up being. I told my parents to use parcel post but the fuckwits used 2-day priority which is exorbitant. Then they refuse to take my money for it all... I also had my bike to ship which costs 70 (bike is valued around 1400 as is, 1600-1800 new, I bought it for 200.)
>>
rent an SUV from a car rental company
>>
>>17272868
if SUV's didnt have all those seats itd be a done deal
>>
>>17273148
well, some of them have ford transits
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.