[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have no imagination.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Creepy_f92bed_5498565.jpg (85 KB, 780x572) Image search: [Google]
Creepy_f92bed_5498565.jpg
85 KB, 780x572
Well not having one may be a little hyperbole, but still yeah, it's fairly lacking.

I don't really have some sort of inner vision of what I'm reading or listening to, or envisioning.

My experiences with Dwarf Fortress really suffer because of this, a lot of people say a lot of fun comes from imagining the situation that's happening rather than just looking at what's happening on the wall of ASCII characters, and eventually it gets fairly boring. Doubly so when it comes to writing, which is also something I do fairly often.

Is there any way I can improve my imaginative abilities? Like any "exercises"
>>
I think if you find something boring, it just doesn't appeal to you, man. It's like asking "how do I improve my taste buds so I can enjoy eating shit". The thing is, people who enjoy a particular kind of stuff aren't exerting effort to deliberately enjoy it. They just happen to.

On the other hand, if you're asking "how do I make life more fun in general", that's a different issue altogether, and yeah, you can make progress in that area.
>>
Meditation... Sit down or laydown or whatever your comfortable close your eyes andbtry and picture a fairly simple object, just focus on the details of it. The more you use your imagination the more you can imagine. Might help to have the object your tying to visualize around so you can look at it if your struggling to visualize
>>
>>17270112

If I understand what you're saying correctly, then what you're describing is very unusual. Why would you want to become like everyone else in this respect?

What is reading a book like for you? You don't imagine the characters or places you read about? I can't imag-- er... I can't fathom what that'd be like. Can you describe it?

If you're a writer, you want to hold on to anything that will make your writing different than everyone else's. Can you post a bit of something you wrote? I'm interested in seeing what it's like. Are you any good?
>>
>>17270125
If OP is anything like me it makes a lot of things people do boring, for me a book is just a lot of pages with words, like I get the plot, but no image in my mind of what the book is portraying, or looks of characters, just words describing things. It can also make it hard to explain things to others since there is no visual representation in my mind of what I'm trying to explain, just mental process, thought in words I suppose and not in image. Does how ever give me a way with words most lack
>>
>>17270112
>My experiences with Dwarf Fortress really suffer because of this

My first reaction was like "holy fuck, are you me?" but then I realized we have a different, but similar, issue. Namely: I lack creativity. I get a kick out of imagining the scenarios but I'm bad at designing shit. I'd mostly use layouts figured out by my mate who also used to play DF, or found on the forums.

Same thing in Space Engineers: my mate would design and build shit, while I mostly flew around and mined asteroids.

Now that I think about it, I feel like my lack of creativity is seriously holding me back, both socially and professionally.
>>
>>17270234
Maybe try thinking about the abstract?
It's kind of hard to explain, i've always had a way too creative mind. My problem is that the creativity has kind taken over my sense of humor to the point where im sure most of my jokes are funny to people just because they're so bizarre at times.
>>
>>17270112
>>17270159
You guys probably have Aphantasia. I got it too.
Personally, I just deal with it by ignoring it. I can still enjoy books about as well as anyone, just a bit less vividly. And I can create fairly well even without a 'grand vision' in my mind of what I'm making.
I've never tried Dwarf Fortress, but I can imagine how having Aphantasia would make it difficult to play. I guess we're not just cut out for that kind of game.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.