[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I forego graduate school? I barely have a 3.0 and save
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (184 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184 KB, 1280x960
Should I forego graduate school? I barely have a 3.0 and save for a handful of programs, I wouldn't be funded. I would have to fund myself with loans and work. This may sound irrelevant, but time and time again I've been told funding is a big deal and if you lack it don't even bother going to graduate school. Is this bad advice?
>>
depends how expensive the tuition is and what the degree is.

sometimes it is worth to pay out of pocket for graduate degrees, but it'd better be a practical professional degree like law or an MBA or something like that
>>
>>17269789
Can't you just be a TA? Unis love their wage slaves.
>>
>>17269885
you can be TA for the next ten years and you won't even come close to making a year's worth of tuition lmao
>>
>>17269829
A good point.

It would be definitely a professional degree like accountancy, business, or the law.

Funding for those degrees is sparse to begin with so it wouldn't be as big of a deal to take out some loans.
>>
Did you take the GRE?
>>
>>17270150
Yes a couple of years ago. I have yet to take the GMAT or LSAT though.
>>
File: geothermal_resource2009-final.jpg (2 MB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
geothermal_resource2009-final.jpg
2 MB, 3300x2550
>>17270167
What was your score and why do I even have to ask?
>>
>>17270175
Kek. I know I got a 5 on the analytical writing and a 163 on the verbal. I can't remember my quant score but it wasn't far off.
>>
File: a-MORMON-PENETRATION-640x468.jpg (85 KB, 640x468) Image search: [Google]
a-MORMON-PENETRATION-640x468.jpg
85 KB, 640x468
>>17270225
So, you are aware that non-professional programs (the ones that want the GRE) are looking for two things:

A deep and abiding interest in the topic you plan to study and...

...a GRE score above the 85th percentile in at least one section.
>>
>>17269891
No shit. Normally they have programs to where they pay you and alsobtake of considerable amounts of your tuition.

Everyone I knew in grad school was doing that and none of them ever talked about problems paying for tuitions
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.