[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Graduation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: url.jpg (8 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
8 KB, 246x205
So I will be graduating Uni mid July, but I really don't want to go to the ceremony. Mainly because I haven't really enjoyed University, have few friends in my subject area, strongly dislike my subject (Econ) and I bombed my last set of exams and probably now have a 2.2 (UK drinking man's degree) and I'm extremely disappointed in myself and as such don't want to be on stage with others who do deserve the congratulations.

The issue is my parents want me to go.And they did financially assist me through my 3 years. How can I get them to see it my way? I honestly don't care for the silly cap, expensive pictures, long sermons or the actual degree itself. How did other anons find their graduation. Did you go? Did you enjoy it? Any regrets if not going? Howd you manage your parents expectations?
>>
>>17269364
You suck it up and you go. Graduation ceremonies aren't for your, they're for friends, families, and parents especially, who have supported you. Had they not supported you financially you could've gotten away with telling them no, but this is really the least you could do to show some gratitude. This is coming from someone who is pretty much in a similar situation to you who graduated in May and begrudgingly went to graduation for those reasons.
>>
Go, for your parents' sake.

I wasn't in the same position as you - I actually worked hard for my degree. But I did two degrees (a BA and an LLB), and because of this, it took a lot longer than normal to get a BA (still finishing off my LLB atm). As a result, I knew pretty much no one when I graduated it, but I went anyway. It wasn't bad, we have allocated places, and the two girls I was between were both really nice and I had a class with one of them so we had a good chat. My boyfriend and parents came, and they seemed to enjoy it enough too.

My boyfriend was the same as you, he didn't put much effort into his degree, so he didn't feel like he deserved to go to the ceremony either. His parents didn't expect him to go, so he graduated in absentia, and that was fine for him
>>
>>17269372
>>17269379
The whole ceremony sounds awful though. I won't even be with my parents for most of the day since I have to be running around collecting the robe and hat and their tickets for the day. Whilst they wait in a separate queue for the chance to be in the graduation hall because there aren't enough seats. (Most watch a livestream in a larger modern auditorium).

I just know my Mum isnt gonna enjoy it and is gonna make a snarky comment.
>>
>>17269473
If they want you to graduate, then you graduate. Do it for them.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.