[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bumped a car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: auto.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
auto.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
I bumped into a car last night. We exchanged info and went to the police station. It was closed. Guy said he would go back in the morning. He did. The cops told him to take care of it ourselves. He wants me to pay 200$ to take care of his damage and so that he doesn't contact insurance.
I didn't see any damage but I didn't have a camera and it was dark.
Should I pay ? He wants a check but should I insist on cash?
If I contact the insurance company will they automaticly put it on my record and up my rates.
It was my fault.

I have no idea what to do. I've been bumped a few times before and I just say no worries.
,it happens and I let it go.

Advice!
>>
>>17268636
Stop bumping into fucking cars
>>
Every action had an equal and opposite ect, ect.

How much damage is there to you vehicle?
>>
>>17268636

I'd probably pay the man. It was your fault. Now you know to take photos of all car accidents in the future so no one can scam you like this. He could go smash in his tail lights and since you're already admitting fault, the insurance company would up your rates.

Pay him, it's $200, and just not that much in the long run.

Not entirely sure why you'd care all that much about how you pay him. Technically a check would be better I think so you have some kind of evidence of payment rendered.
>>
>>17268637
It's the first time I've ever bumped someone. I feel shitty about it.
>>
Auto repair shops overcharge because most people cannot do them themselves. It really will cost $200 for them to fix the scratch. You're waisting your time and the insurance companies time if you call them and it will cost more in the long run if you do.
>>
>>17268640
A small (3 mm) piece of plastic from my licence plate holder might have fallen off. But I'm not sure if it's from the bump.
>>
>>17268658
Did he get a quote or anything? I'd make him get a quote before you hand anything over. I'd get that shit in paper.
>>
>>17268646
I don't carry a phone with me so I couldn't take a pic.
I'm a little worried he'll come back for more.
>>
>>17268665
If I ask for a quote the 200$ deal would be off and he'd contact his insurance company and my rates would go up. I'd end up paying for way more than 200$.
>>
>>17268657
I'm worried that he'll keep coming at me for more money.
>>
>>17268689
Sign an agreement then.
>>
>>17268636

No clue where you live, but it's not uncommon for PD to say that the two of you just need to take care of it. Where I live it's not reportable if the damage is under 1500USD between both vehicles. What they can do is ensure both parties get each others' insurance and license information if needed down the line. And this is something you should do so it can still be tied with an incident (or call) number. Especially since the other half can change his story down the line. Chances are he may have already changed it too. Did you ever speak to PD after the accident or did you just rely on him?

As for him "not contacting insurance" -- that's horseshit. It'll affect him too. And whose to say that he won't just do it after the fact if you've admitted fault and just pocket your money? And why the fuck would you not pay with a check? This is where that incident or call number would come in handy. "REFERENCE #16-00XXXX Accident - PAID IN FULL TO ASSHOLE THAT DOESN'T WANT TO REPORT INSURANCE"
>>
>>17268689
Buy a gun, pussy.
>>
>>17269342
that does nothing to prevent blackmail unless you plan to shoot him you idiot
>>
Make him go through the insurance company.

My guess is that he's bluffing, trying to make a quick $200. At least make him work for it.
>>
>>17269500
i don't think this is true
insurance is a hassle for both ends
if you get some written statement signed that 200 dollars clears you of any damages then it'll be fine

the one time some guy bumped me, he offered to give cash rather than go through the process. of course he might've been concerned with his rates, but i think it's better to settle it outside if possible
>>
>>17269508
only a moron would sign that, and this is why you never go around the insurance company
when they take the car apart in the shop they might find additional damages.
as it happened with me when i ran into an other guy. he wanted to skip the insurance company i told him no go. every claim they made was checked and documented by the company and the repairs were made on the car insurance didn't cost my company a dime. i had to pay for the contribution on our car but repairs again were mostly payed by the insurance company and again they were more than initially looked.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.