[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Debate with me anons. Is Facebook necessary today in order to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 23454.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
23454.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
Debate with me anons.
Is Facebook necessary today in order to actually have friends and thrive socially (and maybe even professionally)?

Will I have to play the game to survive, even if I don't want to?
>>
No, I have facebook and nobody talks to me on it
>>
Not really. I have one, and I mostly use it for events and political groups.

I doubt my social life would be really affected if I stopped using it. There are so many other ways you can keep in touch with people.
>>
I have FB but I rarely check it. It's handy when you meet new people though "just add me on FB". Also you'll miss out on some local events or some stuff people invite you to.
>>
>>17267816
nope, i don't have facebook but i have friends.
>>
>>17267818
I'm not just referring to having facebook though. I have one and in the last 4 years I've never had a decent profile pic, almost every single one looks like it was picked by mac demarco in an attempt of not giving a fuck.
I'm not very active there, either.

When I say using facebook, I mean actually making an effort to make yourself look interesting, having a decent amount of decent pictures of yourself and some with friends and social events.

>>17267820
>There are so many other ways you can keep in touch with people.
true, but as it is, it seems facebook helps create an image of yourself by which people will judge you. Most people use it heavily. I think it's gotten to the point where if you don't have a decent-looking account, you're lame, boring and no one really wants to meet you.

>>17267826
> Also you'll miss out on some local events or some stuff people invite you to.
that's only really why I use it. That and college affairs.
>>
I use Facebook to plan a local sports group, and to get notification for local music scene events. I can't be bothered to make real attempts at social interaction, so having a network everyone uses is good for me.

I would argue that you don't need Facebook. But at this stage, if you don't have a two year old account, chances are I think you're a robot, until we meet face to face.

And seriously, why didn't you get an account back in 2009, like everyone else?
>>
>>17267816

Deleted my facebook a few years ago.

>>17267826
>"just add me on FB"

When people ask "Do you have facebook?" with a confused face.
I know fuckers be searching for me.
Never finding me.
Im like nah son, Im in the phone book.
They be like OH SHIT HE OG
>>
>>17267816
No. I don't have facebook and I have more than enough friends.
>>
>>17267816
People still use Facebook?
>>
Necessary? No. Advantageous? Yes.
>>
File: 1367251715754.jpg (11 KB, 140x197) Image search: [Google]
1367251715754.jpg
11 KB, 140x197
>>17268310
Explain.

Maybe it's because I'm still in college and everyone is young and even more self-absorbed, but I honestly feel I'm hardly approached because my profile is pretty much empty and distanced from the norm (I just can't take shit like this seriously, all the fake poses, fake interests, fake friends..etc). Granted, I'm an introvert and not really outspoken, but my point is that my current profile helps reinforce my "unintesting-less" even further, and were it a pretty one, making me look really interesting and "powerful" instead, I'm certain I'd be in way better sheets.

Ultimately, I'm not "cool" for not playing the game.

I think it's possible to do without an account, but that's in not-so-often cases. Most times you need it. Social media is so ingrained in today's society that even commercials display their accounts on tv, assuming you have one yourself.

It's stupid and I hate it, but I can't help but see even employers being put off by someone not taking the social media game seriously.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.