[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this resume good enough to use to apply for some part-time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: test-page-001.jpg (140 KB, 1275x1650) Image search: [Google]
test-page-001.jpg
140 KB, 1275x1650
Is this resume good enough to use to apply for some part-time summer jobs?

I always feel like I use the worst possible language when I make a resume.
>>
>>17264863
change the experience to section to bullet points describing you helped the business/what you acomllished

-- supervised computer labs, ensuring software and security practices were up to date
-- assisted students with -----
>>
>>17264863
>>17264882
learning to build a skills focused resume will be a great help for this and future endeavors.
>>
>>17264898
would you still include any work history in a skills-based resume?
>>
>>17264910
yeah, just not a full history. you'd highlight certain jobs.
>>
>>17264863

for tutor, talk about whether or not you are freelance. no matter which way it happened you will sound smart.

freelance tutor means you are so smart that people sought you out without you being assigned to them, and you were savvy enough to capitalize off of your intelligence.

being an assigned tutor through the college or other program also indicates that you are so smart that they pushed you to help others because of it.

no matter what its a win win and more interesting then just 'tutor, i tutored them, heres a definition of tutor, lol i tooted'.

i know you imply that you were hired / assigned, but go ahead and make that your opening note. 'i helped students' is a given.

for 'food place' focus lie and say something like 'assistant manager'. remove the baking aspect and focus instead of how it was your job to assign the tasks of the crew and maintain the basic order of what needed to be done. you kinda did with phone orders and such stock and such.

your 'skills' are bull shit, list something real even if not relevant. know anything about html? fuck even if you dont, just claim you know web design. if you get asked to do it, just use adobe MUSE, i learned it in a fucking day.

include photoshop. any other programming or computer knowledge you have. include 'social media / advertising'. if they ask what you did say you were in charge of maintaining the food places facebook page, or a distance relatives social media and included custom graphics you made on photoshop.

assuming you know anything at all about it it will be easy.

remove 'community college' from the experience section. student tutor speaks for itself and we already know of the community college from above.

also include 'accounting' and when asked, just claim you did the books for a distant relatives business, say you did it monthly, and were involved with all the expenses other than the taxes.
>>
>>17264914

assuming you have enough of a history to do so. when you're first starting out and those are the only two you got, you stretch them.

OP if you ever did any kind of volunteer work, claim it was a job. i waited tables one night for a firehouse charity through school. claimed it was 4 months of work for a company that caters dinners. literally never had an issue.

if there is a time when they ask why you left this job or that job, just say that eityher your parents moved, or it was only seasonal / summer work.

good luck mate.
>>
>>17264898
>>17264931
>>17264941

solid stuff here, I'll make use of all these points. Thanks guys
>>
>>17264863
that is the worst resume ive ever seen. i would go to a resume workshop and get it revised (not by black people, their english is derp)
>>
File: vNWSkab.png (148 KB, 691x885) Image search: [Google]
vNWSkab.png
148 KB, 691x885
>>17264863
this is mine. been successful so far. im just going to pay someone 10 dollars for a template if i need a new one. obviously the photo isnt blurred out.
>>
>>17265108
it can't be that bad for jobs that pay at least 10/hour can it?
>>
>>17264863
If I where you I'd avoid using open-ended descriptions like "flexible team player" or "good communicator" unless those are relevant to a specific position you're applying for.

Also: list specific skills and abilities. Don't just write "computer literate". List various programs, programming languages instead, pretty much every person younger than 30 can be considered "computer literate" these days.
>>
>>17265227

even minimum wage jobs are highly competitive. do you think someones going to sit here and say 'well this resume is shitty, but hey what do i care' when there are people with better resumes?

there is nothing you can do about your experience and current work situation, but that doesnt mean you can dress it up and make your resume look as good as it can.
>>
>>17265154
>paying for this horrible piece of eyecancer
>>
>>17265255
yea I agree with that, the 'worst ever' bit was just disheartening, not that I think I put my full effort into this copy though
>>
>>17265271

im not the guy who called it worst ever, just pointing out his logic. im sure hes exaggerating or hasnt seen many resumes so its a moot point.

but if you follow the advice i laid out here:
>>17264931
>>17264941

you should do just fine. and if at first you dont succceed, lie, lie again. find ways to stretch things futher.

i took 'helped rearrange furniture' at someones home office, and stretched it into 'seasonal intern at NATIV'.

which helped a lot cuz without it i wouldnt have landed my current job where i manage a business.

just know what you are capable of and write to that.
>>
>>17265154
>Photo on a resume
Dude I occasionally screen resumes for my company. Anything that has a photo on it gets trashed without me ever looking at it - shit's cringy yo.

This rule is thrown out the window if you're an attractive girl applying for an internship or something non-important like that.
>>
>>17265445

i attached mine, and it hasnt hindered me at all, and i now manage the entire business so... maybe thats just you and you should reflect on that.
>>
>>17265445
>Employers don't want to see who they are hiring
ok
>>
>>17265267
>reading comprehension
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.