[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ever ruined your life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1408029377986.jpg (2 MB, 1644x1033) Image search: [Google]
1408029377986.jpg
2 MB, 1644x1033
No, I mean really ruined.

5 years ago I was in a car with some friends who were smoking weed, no big deal. Naturally, we were pulled over and all charged, it's just the way of things.

I went on a STET docket, which essentially means the judge thinks it's a waste of time to sentence me, I don't plead guilty, he just says "don't get in trouble."

And for 5 years, I haven't, but, to this day, that black mark still costs me job interviews.

How the fuck can I ever fix this?
>>
>>17264278
How the fuck does a misdeameanor stop you from getting jobs? It literally can't. There's something else stopping you
>>
>>17264413

This. Also, even if that was the reason you aren't getting a job, you're being melodramatic as fuck. People have come back from wayyy worse than that. You didn't "ruin your life" - at worst you just caused yourself an inconvenience
>>
>>17264278
I once got plastered and sexually assaulted my sister because I hated myself and wanted to die but I wanted to get laid before I died.

But I ended up I felt bad as she screamed when I tried to pull her pants off so I stopped.

I got kicked out of my house.
>>
>>17264460
That's some fucked up shit
>>
>>17264413
>>17264430
In the past 5 years I've applied at about 9 different places, every one drops me after the background check.

Just yesterday I had some corporate investigator call me about my background, then today I had some HR lady tell me my tentative start date (this monday) is pushed back indefinitely.
>>
>>17264474

If I'm not mistaken, misdemeanors get wiped off your record after a certain period of time. Find out about your state's laws to see if there's anything you can do to remove it.
>>
>>17264278
A case being on the stet docket is not a conviction. Five years out you are almost certainly eligible to not only request that the court dismiss the case but also to expunge it.

I'm not certain why it showing up on a court search for you would be such a huge problem (because, again, it is not a conviction and legally you are considered to be innocent of the charge) unless they're assuming something's pretty fucked up if you're still under some probation-like terms for such a long time.
>>
>>17264499
>>17264517
I'm not 100% sure about the rules to expunge something, can't expunged cases still be pulled up?

That happened a few times, where employers would see the STET and ask me to pull court documents, then they'd view the case and never call back. So when it's expunged is it expunged, or "expunged?"
>>
>>17264528
I don't know what legal jurisdiction you're in, so I don't know about the rules there to get something expunged, or whether or not something expunged could be pulled up. Generally speaking though, the word "expunged" means that the case record is erased and not available as a matter of public record.

Some places, the fact that you requested an expungement can be pulled directly from the records of a particular court, but the case won't be available from state/federal depositories of court cases. Again, I can't tell you the rules for this because I don't know where you live (and honestly, even if I did I wouldn't bother spending my time since you can't be bothered to do it yourself).

And really, that's the thing. Just because I can't tell you the rules for getting your case dismissed and then expunged doesn't mean this information is unavailable to you. It means you haven't bothered to look it up or bothered to go talk to a local lawyer who would actually know those rules. If you think it's affecting your ability to get employment, why not? Are you just stupid? Lazy?

Again, something being on the stet docket is not a conviction. The fact that it's still sitting there after five years is (if you're not somewhere that the court system would simply close it out themselves) is informative. Again, it could mean there's something not obvious for the state to refuse to dismiss this after such a long time. It could mean that you are lazy or clueless as fuck.

If you're pretty sure this is something that is going to come up on a background check, why the fuck wouldn't you address it head on? Save both you and the person doing the hiring some time, and get your version out there up front instead of leaving your employer to wonder what's up (and ultimately decide you're not worth the risk if you actually still have an open case against you).
>>
>>17264278
Get a job that doesnt do background checks. Also, if you weren't convicted it shouldnt be held against you anway
>>
>>17264278
big deal you cant be a wage slave. Life is more than just working for someone else's money. At least you have neetbux?
>>
>>17264656
Yeah, I guess you have a point. I'll just have to try and raise the funds and see what I can do with it.
>>17264680
>>17264691
No neetbux unfortunately, who hires without background checks?
>>
>>17264709
Construction company I worked at hired felons. One guy was making about $15/hour working in the warehouse and another who worked in the field was making about $25/hour.
>>
>>17264709
Yeah, like the other guy said, it wouldnt be an office job. What do you have experience in and where do you live?
>>
>>17264729
As hilarious as it sounds, the only thing close to professional work experience is 4 years in the national guard, when I joined the army I signed a waiver saying "yep I messed up, but I'm good now," and that was that.

Beyond that, just salesperson work at sheetz/rutters/wawa/711/whatever it the 24/7 gas station is in your state. I'm a pretty blank slate of a person, this might be why it's hard to get in, even at the entry level.

I feel like I'm pretty fucked, I'd like to go back to college but what's the point if even a call center thinks I'm a scumbag, degree or no degree, work would be impossible to find.
>>
>>17264747
Where do you live, how much is rent, and how little are you willing to work for?
>>
So you have applied to 9 fucking jobs, thats it? In five years? And you have zero experience? Oh man how the hell are you not a millionair CEO at this point you dumb mother fucker? Protip, it has nada to do with you toking up
>>
>>17264747
Again see >>17264723

I got that construction job with zero experience. Granted it was just bitch work and heavy lifting at the beginning there was a lot of room for advancement. I've got a friend that works in the same construction field and he makes about $65K/year and it only took about 5 years to get there.

Right now I work in a repair/maintenance facility/machine shop and I got this job with zero experience in the field.

Now I realize I have been very lucky in getting these job without experience and things just fell into place at the right time but it also took a lot of hard work building up to that point. I've got 15 years of job experience, no gaps in my employment, I've only worked at 3 different places prior to those jobs, and I've got management experience that those jobs.

So you can't get that office job or job that requires a degree but you can still get a job, and when you do just be the best you can so you can advance. Work isn't your life. Learn to enjoy your time off and you'll be fine even if you don't completely like your job. Cliche protip, most people hate their jobs but do it anyway. Some are just better at dividing their personal life and work life.
>>
>>17264773
MD, rent is about 1100 for a decent place, 600 for a hole, I suppose 13/hr, but whatever I can get that beats minimum wage.

>>17264785
I mean, I've been employed steadily, I just want to break out of grunt work, opportunities don't abound here so I apply at places that would be a "step up," which there aren't many of. But yeah, I see your point.
>>
>>17264278
Hah a misdemeanor? Try an other than honorable discharge from the military. That one is a very interesting conversation in job interviews
>>
>>17264801
>honorable discharge from the military

Just say you got hurt and now you have back and/or knee pain that has caused you to gain weight. Don't let them know that you're really just a fat lazy piece of shit. Then collect that government cheese. Oh yeah an make sure to let them know you are a vet and fought for their freedom.
>>
>>17264801
To be honest this is my biggest fear, nomatter how irrational. I'm pretty well set up at my unit, high pt score, three different asi's, but army's downsizing big time it seems. Every board I go to I'm afraid somebody is going to come down and say "spc anon we thank you for your commitment to the army, but don't come back."

Then I could explain away my misdemeanor AND discharge to potential employers
>>
>>17264709
Yeah. You're a dope. http://www.mdcourts.gov/courtforms/joint/ccdccr072br.pdf

That took about 5 seconds to google. Good luck getting that $30. You can make that in less than a day just by hanging out in front of Home Depot and hiring out as day labor.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.