[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I consider moving to Japan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: cylinder.jpg (5 KB, 187x270) Image search: [Google]
cylinder.jpg
5 KB, 187x270
I'm currently an 18 year old, Chinese Australian working at McDonald's and hoping to become a teacher in the future. My passion lies in teaching and I plan on taking up a degree very soon.

The problem is this: I want to teach English but since Australia is still a racist shithole, I can't reasonably expect to teach English being an Asian and whatnot. And each university having 1,000 graduates for bachelor of education each year means it's very much competitive to get any teaching job in the first place.

Now moving to Japan didn't sound like a bad idea at first, but I understand the cultural differences would mean less interaction between the student and the teacher unlike in the schools I've studied in which fosters a very whimsical learning environment.

I understand that teaching in the two countries would be very different, but this is probably my only option, since I can't expect a reasonable pay in other countries, what should I do?

Should I just stay in Australia and take up another degree?
>>
Is NZ an option?
>>
>>17263900
I don't really consider western countries an option for teaching English since they're most likely to not hire me due to my ethnicity, although I am considering middle-eastern countries, since I heard they pay just as well as Japan.

Given my oriental looks, I'd be more likely to fit in in Japan than a middle-eastern country.
>>
>>17263905
Maybe you should work on your victim complex first.
>>
>>17263894
You should move to Japan, people will take you more seriously there.
>>
I hope this is a troll. As you are of Asian descent, and Chinese as that, you will be treated absolutely as the bottom tier. Asians hate other Asians more than westerners. It doesn't matter how Australian you are, everyone will see you as an Asian.
>>
You do realise that your degree in education means nothing in japan right? You need to complete a Japanese teaching degree to become an actual teacher in japan. You can be an assistant teacher but that's not exactly a career. Your other issue is your race. Don't let this discourage you too much but the Japanese like their English teachers white with blue eyes. You can still get a job but expect a little more trouble. The second problem, and I say this as an Australian, is your accent. The Japanese prefer American (bullshit) English. Even though American English is a bastardisation of an already stupid language, that's what they want. You may run into problems with this or have to change how you write and pronounce things. You could get lucky and they might not care. Moving to Japan is another issue. I highly recommend you get a Japanese work holiday visa. It's easy for an Australian to get and if you have a job you can easily stay for 18 months. You will only be an alt but see how you like working in that environment before you fully commit.

Good luck. I would also like to live and work in japan as an aussie. My degree is Jap and economics though.
>>
>>17264011
I understand that Japs look down on the Chinese, but I've been to Japan and I doubt they could tell whether I was Chinese or Jap. Some of the Asians I met in school also assumed that I was Jap.

>>17264022
I don't mind starting off as an assistant teacher, it sounds like a great stepping stone. The accent thing isn't a problem for me, since I do tend to speak in a generic American accent at times.
>>
>>17264037
Ok if you don't mind the alt route then go for it. Start looking up alt jobs right now and start organising a working holiday visa. Is your Japanese good? Or are you learning? You will need to be fluent or close to it. Spend a year to 18 months in japan teaching as an alt and see how much you enjoy it. If you wish to pursue an actual teaching job in japan after that I'm sure you will have gained the information in japan to do so. Talk to the other Jap teachers and see what you need to do. Good luck op
>>
>I doubt they could tell whether I was Chinese or Jap.

Can you speak fluent Japanese?

If not you will be just another Asian foreigner.
>>
>>17264075
Well my girlfriend is Japanese, so she did teach me quite a bit. It's not exactly fluent, but I manage to buy things and whatnot with no problems. I haven't encountered a situation where I couldn't understand or not be understood.

>>17264060
I'm still learning but I'm also learning German at the same time. I supposed I should drop German for now so I can focus on Japanese. I don't plan on going to Japan just yet, I want to finish my degree first. Thanks.
>>
>>17264097
I guess you can do okay for yourself in Japan if you're entrepreneurial and make your own school.

It's not really a proper career otherwise.
>>
>>17264097
You will never be accepted as Japanese. That's just how it is. You will always be seen as an Asian in Japan, and you can't do anything to change that.

And you're an idiot if you think the Japanese can't tell.
>>
>>17264160
This. you can probably get an Assistant English Teacher gig if you're a native speaker, but don't ever expect to fit in even if you're Asian. There's two types of people in Japan: Japanese Nationals and foreigners. That ain't gonna change any time soon, either.
>>
>>17264177
Where did op put he wants to be Japanese? He wants to work and live there, that's it. Who gives a fuck if you can't be Japanese. The younger generation of japs don't care. You might have issues with some people but on the whole thing they really dont mind. Just don't go pushing your culture on them and you'll easier find a girlfriend/wife/friends.

Hurr you'll never be Japanese. No shit. That was never the goal.
>>
>>17263894

OP, Japan wouldn't be your only option. Plenty of non-English speaking countries around the world have plenty of programs for getting English teachers into their borders. Another big one in Asia is Korea.

If Teaching is your passion, then fucking go for it man. If it's anything like it is in the states, once you get your foot in the door, it's almost like immediate tenure. Teachers would be one of the very last things to drop off in a shit-hit-the-fan situation.

>>17264022

Not entirely true, there are numerous international programs for getting native English speakers in Japan to teach English. Again, they WANT people who speak it natively to get into their schools.
>>
>>17263894
Horse shit. Have you ever fucking been to China? If you can't handle the mild xenophobia in Australia that people wouldnt even say to your face present you'll be shocked elsewhere.

I know Vietnamese immigrants who have made millions here. Race will not have a significant impact on your success, and if you think it will you're just looking for an excuse.
>>
>>17264186
He clearly stated that he has been mistaken for Japanese and that he could pull it off in Japan too.
>>
>>17264200
Let's be realistic though. Op hasn't finished his degree in education in Australia. He has no real teaching experience. A Japanese teaching degree is his best option. Before that, alt jobs are what he should be looking for. He might get the connections to find a teaching job while in japan.
>>
>>17264213
Imitation does not equal a desire to be another race you fucking moron. My Chinese Malay friend who speaks korean has been mistaken for a Korean in Korea. He doesn't want to be korean. Fuck you're stupid.
>>
>>17264209
You know what? You're right. Once I graduate I'll do my best to get a teaching job in Australia while living on welfare. And if that doesn't work, I'll move to another country or find a different job.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.