[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I become a psychologist? What is the next step after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: psychologist.jpg (32 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
psychologist.jpg
32 KB, 600x600
How can I become a psychologist? What is the next step after high school?
>>
just be yourself
>>
Get 8 hours of sleep every night.
>>
Eat your vegetables so you'll grow up to be big and strong.
>>
>>17261468
Is this bait...you should have talked to a high school counselor or visit your local community college, online research...good luck op!
>>
>>17261468
Start answering questions with a question.
>>
>>17261468
College as a psych major. The either grad school or med school.
>>
>>17261468
>What is the next step after high school?
What do you feel should be the next step after high school?
>>
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm

In my experience psychologist earn rock-bottom wages or make 2-3*6fig depending on how rich the city/hood they work at is
>>
>>17261468
Bear in mind that some countries have psychologist certificates reserved for graduates of specific certification education programs. For example, a bachelor + master degree in psychology taken in Norway does not earn you the right to work as a psychologist in Norway. To do that, you must take the psychologist profession study, which is 6 years in Bergen and Tromso.
>>
Work out 3x a week and drink 6 glasses of water a day
>>
Major in psychology and graduate with honours. Try to keep your GPA at 3.5+. After undergrad, you will need your masters, and you will need to write the GRE exam. Once you get into a grad school for your masters, do well, then you will do your PhD in clinical psychology which will probably take another 4 or 5 years.

While in undergrad, do lots of volunteering and community service. Show that you have an interest in public health.

Someone here said med school but no. Med school is if you want to be a psychiatrist. Difference. That is a medical specialty.

Overall you are look at 10+ years old school. It's worth it. Make sure to talk with a counselor in your university/college to learn about course specifics.
>>
If you can't use your favorite search engine to find out, then maybe "psychology" is not in your future.
>>
What kind of psychologist?

Basically, you need a BSc or BA in psychology, and then (depending on the field) a PhD in some psych field, e.g. neuropsychology or clinical psychology or social psychology or whatever.

I'm aiming to go into either clinical or neuropsychology, but am on medical leave from college and have been for 2 years, so I haven't actually done anything to get there yet.
>>
File: eewpepe.jpg (18 KB, 199x182) Image search: [Google]
eewpepe.jpg
18 KB, 199x182
>>17261468
falling for the psycholgy meme
>>
>>17261858
Would I be able to start a private practice without a PhD?
>>
>>17261909
Get help
>>
>>17261926
If you want paying customers, no.
>>
>>17261926
Maybe if you go for a Masters in social work, or a CSW....certified social worker I think. They can hang a shingle and do counseling I believe.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.