[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you start viewing all the good things and not the bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
How do you start viewing all the good things and not the bad? How do people become content with their life?
Lots of older men are telling me I need to just relax etc, but I don't understand how they just wake up and go "wow, I don't have that car I want but I'm happy"
>>
Acceptance is the key
>>
Grant me he serenity to accept what i can't change, the courage to change what i can and the wisdom to know the difference.
>>
>>17260198
But how do they accept it? They all told me they just did it some day, and that If I don't do it soon, it'll be too late to mean anything?
>>
By doing the things to get the car you want and appreciating what you have in the meanwhile. No shit you're not going to be happy if you just wallow in apathy. If you want something then reach out and go for it, one step at a time.
>>
>>17260194
I was like you once.

But then I got the car I wanted - now I'm happy.

You'll get there kid.
>>
>>17260194
First of all these old people have had many years to make peace with their existence and think to themselves "maybe if this is as good as it gets, it's not so bad after all"

Perhaps they had dreams they wanted to accomplish but fell short of the mark. They berated themselves constantly after the fact for years and just got tired of it as time went by. Acceptance crept in somewhere along the line as they grew weary and it became a lot easier to simply accept than to do anything else.

Perhaps they accomplished all they set out and became demystified in the process.

Acceptance is not something you chase for the very act of chasing would make you even more agitated and uncertain. Also, sticking to labels like "good" and "bad" seems just plain wrong.

Reality needs to be experienced, not thought about or frozen into concepts of the sort - good, bad, ugly, beautiful, successful, rich, bliss, ecstasy. The moment you find yourself clinging to any such label or running after it, you are disconnected from your direct immediate experience and suffering ensues.

To say you should just accept things without making you realise this on your own is reckless. If you're lucky you'll find someone who would take the time to enlighten you about their own experiences and how this acceptance came about.

For acceptance to come, you would have to see it and realise it for yourself. Words will not get you very far.
>>
>>17260194
>How do people become content with their life?

Do you have a family or background which is like quite 'high pressure' to perform social/career functions?
>>
>>17260215
because young people think they'll be happy when they land that job, buy that maserati, or finally hit retirement age with a shitload of cash....

the old fuck multimillionaires would give up the car and cash for youth though, and think about all the time they pissed away being unhappy wishing they had this shit. coming from experience a new car is only cool for about 2 months... then it's just "your car"
>>
>>17260194
Older guy here. There isn't really a "light bulb moment", it's not like you have an epithany and suddenly everything is fine, it's a process that happens over time. It's no so much that you just accept that things haven't turned out how you wanted, more that you learn to apprieciate the things you do have. You also become much more confident in your ability to change things and make things happen that would seem impossible to your younger self, and you get in to the mindset of "I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm getting there" rather than "this is too hard so I'll just give up"

>"wow, I don't have that car I want but I'm happy"
Cars aren't everything mate. I've had a couple of very expensive cars and looking back I regret ever buying the damn things. I once owned a brand new 911 Turbo. Sure, it was nice to have it (notwithstanding the fact that it broke down once a month and made you feel like it was going to kill you every time there were more than four drops of rain on the road), but between devaluation and finance charges I lost abut £22,000 on that car and I didn't even have it two years.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.