[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My dad was sick and I traveled 8000 miles away from home/work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 500x367
My dad was sick and I traveled 8000 miles away from home/work to watch him die. Now I'm with family. I wanted to leave after 8 days but they scheduled the funeral for 13 days from today.

Is it appropriate to skip a funeral? I can honestly do without all the theatrics. I want to return to my own home, fiancé and work.
>>
>>17259413
Skipping your father's funeral is not socially condoned. You could fenangle your way out of it if you gave some formal "I need to come to terms with my grief alone and I don't think I could stand to have all of you see me cry at the funeral" tldr you can skip but have a good excuse
>>
>>17259413
He doesn't care. You were with him in his last moments---that's all that matters.

Get your ass home!
>>
Go home pal.
>>
>>17259422
>>17259440
Alright I'll try to find a way to skip out. Knowing I was there to watch him take his last breath and him opening his eyes to see me the day prior gives me all the closure I need.
>>
If you're still here OP. My grandfather just passed. My brother has decided he is not attending the funeral and I can tell my mom will never forgive him. The funeral is the closure and time to express your emotions, it is the final goodbye for most even if the deceased is not there. You are suppose to be there to be emotional support for others. But in your situation, I would go home probably, you traveled far and stayed long.
>>
>>17259413
>I can honestly do without all the theatrics

So true. I had to be at both my parents' funeral when I was a child. I could've been happy without it. Also a pretty good show of how shitty people can be.
>>
>>17259854
I never understood why people take funerals so serious. Probably from attending them a lot as a child and not understanding shit, therefore it not being a big deal to me at all.

Anyway why can people be shitty at funerals? What happened?
>>
>>17259862
Funerals are an opportunity for shallow, self-absorbed people to parade themselves around and whore for attention under the guise of paying respects. People take it personally if you do not play into their ego fantasy.

Fuck those people. Anyone who demands you grieve in their prescribed way is not actually grieving. You put your life on hold and traveled a great distance to pay your respects. You've done more than enough, and certainly more than they ever will.
>>
>>17259898
Anon that sounds very shitty and actually very disrespectful to the dead. People act like that? Dayum.
>>
>>17259413
13 days? that's fucking crazy. why would you leave a dead body laying around that long? seems disrespectful to me, but so does draining out bodily fluids and pumping them full of chemicals.
>>
>>17259413

Funerals aren't for the dead, they're for the living. Your father doesn't give a shit if you're at his funeral, he's dead, but the rest of your family will, I assume.

Look past yourself for a moment and ask yourself if you really care about being there for your family. Sure, you are over the theatrics but love is about putting up with shit you necessarily don't like because you care about them.

Personally, I hate theatrics, and I don't even like my dad but if it were my mom/aunt/sister standing at my father's casket I'd put up with it just so they wouldn't face it alone.

If you really want to be there for the living people that your father left behind, then stay.

If you feel you have more important things to do, than don't.

The choice is entirely yours but be prepared to accept the ramifications of whatever you choose. I don't know what kind of dynamic you have with your family so I can't suggest what you do either way.
>>
>>17259898

>Funerals are an opportunity for shallow, self-absorbed people to parade themselves around and whore for attention under the guise of paying respects

So are you being edgy on purpose or do you actually believe this.
>>
>>17259413

The funeral is 13 days from now? Is that legal? Is he put in a freezer in the meantime or something?

Max term is 6 days where I live, as an aside.
>>
My grandfather recently passed and there was no possible way for me to attend his funeral. I personally feel a lot of grief and guilt, since my choices more or less directly led to this situation (I live in another country and do not have the funds for emergency travel.)

My family understood I couldn't attend and have said they are going to prepare and ship a DvD of the service. Maybe you can request this sort of thing and just say you have been away too long and HAVE to go back? People can't really argue against obligations, and if you show you are interested in the service they may be a lot more forgiving.
>>
don't be an ass, go to the funeral and be with your family. the time you have with the rest of your family is very valuable over the next 2 weeks, maybe you don't see them again for a while. you might not need them but they probably need you, and your presence away from the funeral will be felt by everyone

unrelated but my mum passed away at the beginning of the year and the time i spent with my family afterwards was really rewarding and healing for all of us. keep the family bonds strong
>>
>>17259413
Go to your fathers burial you uncaring fuckwit... Jesup Christ, of their sake be there for them in a time of mortal grief. It's such a common decency I shouldn't have to write this.... honestly do you actually have mental problems?
>>
>>17260385
Don't be such a fucking dick, dude. The guy literally was at his fathers deathbed. This may be part of his coping process.

Not everyone grieves the same way.
>>
>>17259413
Your dad is not going to miss you there. Funerals are for the living.
>>
>>17259952
It's a generalization, of course, but has its roots in truth.

Have you ever been to funeral?
>>
You should go for the living family members
>>
>>17260384
dont listen to this guy
>>
>>17259413
Damn man that's cold. If you want to skip his funeral, no one is stopping you. But it's something that might haunt you for the rest of your life.
>>
>>17259898
>Went to funeral for grandfather
>My mom burst into fucking tears the second she saw him for 50ft away in the casket
>She literally couldn't stop crying from then to when he was buried
>When she tells stories and she brings up her dad she says she misses him and starts to cry
>Self absorbed and shallow

Seriously consider suicide. I'm not kidding. I can't wait for the day your edgy ass gets fucking destroyed in a car accident leaving you mangled and brain dead. I'd love to see you lay there in a hospital bed, limbs dangling as you cry from the pain and wonder why it happened to you. You laying there wheezing will give me a rock hard fucking erection knowing that pure human filth is suffering in front of me.

You are fucking swine. Your existance is a god damn lie and your entire life nobody has ever truly loved or cared about you. Your fucking being is why people lose faith in people. You are a monster.

You think your edginess is cool and philosophical but all you prove when you act this way is that you hate yourself. Every day you must wish for death because you understand that you are a cretin and waste of life.

Fuck you.
>>
>>17261798
Found self absorbed narcicistic asshole, guys!

Listen, you ass. Not everyone is like your mom and to be honest I was banging her yesterday and she wasn't sad at all. We don't care about your mom, you and your precious little pain. Fuck you.
>>
>>17260384
>keep the family bonds strong
>implying strong family bonds
I don't think most people here have strong family bonds, and the OP pretty obviously doesn't

>>17261157
this
>>
>>17261828
You know Im right. You know you are nothing but swine. That's what I love the most. The fact that you look in the mirror daily and wish you were someone else. Wishing you could turn back the clock, and you weren't neglected like you were. Why did they have to treat you the way they did? It hurts knowing they don't care about you, and never had. Laughing behind your back. You know they did too. You try to escape on the internet but you can't hide from what you are, a shell.

You can deny it, but you and i both know you cant be what you once were. A good person.
>>
>>17261828
Wow, you got some issues bro. Or your underaged, in which case gtfo
>>
>>17260384
>they probably need you, and your presence away from the funeral will be felt by everyone
this is bullshit. just go back home OP

My dad didn't even get a funeral, but I did get to see him on the death bead. That's all the closure I needed.
>>
>>17261835
Well, it's true. Everything you said is true. I don't deny that. I wasn't loved, I was neglected, noone ever showed me that I was accepted, noone cared for me. They treated me like shit, lied to me and hated to have me around. And then they lied me, that they love me and if I have problem with feelings, than I am the problem so they medicated me. It's all true, dude. But you know what. I was child. I didn't do nothing to deserve that. In fact I was very good child that never made any problems, didn't matter to them, they treated me like shit all the same. But dude, wishing and this is to you too >>17261842
wishing someone to be dead? Wishing someone to suicide, calling someone monster? Just because he doesn't feel the same way you do? Just because you feel sad and he doesn't feel need to bow before your feelings? That's edgy and that is fucked up.

Face it, maybe you had perfect upbringing, maybe you had loving parents, maybe you had it all. And you are still disgusting monster, that wished someone death just because they disrespected your precious feelings.
>>
>>17261835
And yet here you are on 4chan

>not the guy you repied to btw
>>
>>17261860
>>17261860
I'm not wishing you to be dead or kill yourself.

Im telling you.

And I'll stand by that for disrespecting my mother. I couldnt care less if you were tortured for a billion years in hell itself.
>>
>>17259413
if it was my father I would want to be there for the funeral
>>
>>17261879
Wow, you are pathetic, look at what you wrote. You have problems, your are probably narcicist.

Just look at what you wrote here:
>>17261798
>Seriously consider suicide. I'm not kidding. I can't wait for the day your edgy ass gets fucking destroyed in a car accident leaving you mangled and brain dead. I'd love to see you lay there in a hospital bed, limbs dangling as you cry from the pain and wonder why it happened to you. You laying there wheezing will give me a rock hard fucking erection knowing that pure human filth is suffering in front of me.

And you said more.

And then you try to pussy out and tell me:
>I'm not wishing you to be dead or kill yourself.

And then you even say some shit about hell. Haha

And I'm not even original guy. Get a load of yourself. You are sad, SAD, human being. I feel sorry for your family, you must be pain for everyone around you. You are such a toxic person.
>>
>>17261903
Tl;dr lol
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.