[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need some career advice. I don't know if this is the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
I need some career advice. I don't know if this is the best place for it, but here goes. I'm currently at a school with a top 10 journalism college where I'm studying advertising. The thing is I don't think I really want to be in advertising, being involved in the glamorization of material things.

More recently I have been meditation and reading books about buddhism and its teachings. This is part of what led me to my change of heart I believe. I want to travel, and be able to experience different cultures. I graduate next may with my degree in advertising, but I now don't know what I am going to do with it. Any help? Feel free to ask any questions
>>
Doing what you love is something that they teach you in kindergarden. In real life people become fry cooks and work on automobiles not because they love it but because they need the cash.

If you get hungry enough you'll do anything for money. Regardless go be a teacher in japan since you can probably qualify for the JET program if you have a degree if you want a different job.

Also hey you could advertise dog food. Dog food isn't a bad thing to glamorize because I do like doge commercials.
>>
>>17259196
Thanks for the input, Japan is a place I've really wanted to go to for a while. Is that something I need to learn japanese for? I mean I know it would help me in the country
>>
>>17259187
Take a gap year after graduation. After travelling, you'll want to settle down and really get to work on a career, that's what happened to me though I didn't get taken in by some weird ass Buddhist teaching. There are plenty of jobs that just need any degree to get into like federal government jobs and in banks where I'm from.

>>17259209
JET is only for a year I think. I've been to Japan with high school level Japanese (forgotten over many many years) and I'd recommend learning the basics of the language for stuff like to be able to read signs in the smaller cities where English is rarer. A surprising amount of Japanese can speak English though I mainly got along with (Australian and Russian) expats while I was over there for a couple months.
>>
>>17259263
Also, don't come back a smug condescending cunt that people who think they are "worldly" can be. You've only traveled for so long.
>>
Charities, churches, non-profits, the United Way and other non-sinister organizations need advertising too.

advertising is just a way of getting a message out there so just choose to get the message out for worthwhile stuff.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.