[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making friends in a new city
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: bane.jpg (24 KB, 272x350) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
24 KB, 272x350
I recently moved to Melbourne and getting adjusted hasn't been that rough but I've had trouble making friends. When I moved here I was in a share house and all the roomates were cool but we all parted ways and now I'm living with a 51 year old because his place is cheap, nice, and close to work. Now I don't really have a social outlet save for a depressing 51 year old who has decided to give me advice about whatever we're talking about when we do talk.

What's a good way to meet people in the city? I've met up with a few people online but we don't get up that often and I haven't had much luck contacting other people. I've gone to a meetup.com event before and it was awkward and lame. My voice sounds funny in bars and it's hard for me to get my mojo going inside the bar when everyone's having fun by themselves and I feel like I'm intruding. I had some luck at work but two coworkers younger than me left for another country, the bosses son (same age) left to travel yesterday, and there's a clear maturity difference between me and the other employees (most are 10+ years older)

Are there some other places I should try or things I should do to meet people?
>>
>>17257428
Welcome to Melbourne anon! What are your interests? I recommend joining some social clubs or interest clubs, there's a lot of stuff to do around the city. Admittedly it's very hard to make friends around here post-uni, so don't worry, it's not necessarily you. Try to post on /r/Melbourne maybe (inb4 leddit), there are other new comers who are in the same boat as you who make posts periodically.
>>
>>17257437
Thanks it's really nice here

I had looked on reddit but didn't think about posting directly to it to look for friends.

Is there a place to find social groups other than meetup.com?
>>
>>17257456
I'm not sure how it ends up working out for the people that do post, but it can't hurt to try.

Try hitting up your local social club, or meet ups around your interest areas. Check your Facebook events, there's always something going on. I'm sure your voice sounds fine, and bars are meant for approaching randoms. You should try again, hit up a different bar maybe.
>>
>>17257468
I meant more I have difficulty approaching a group if they're already in a conversation. I don't particularly know how to smoothly start a group conversation without making it cringe worthy.

I'm pretty ok talking to people 1 on 1 though if there's any consolation in that.
>>
Ask around and try to find Moira Davidson, shes always up to having a good time!
>>
>>17257428
Don't look for friends. Look for activities. Friends will follow.

Join a club. Joina a gym. Do volunteer work. Take a "useless" class at the Australian equivalent of a community college. Go to concerts/theatre/films and chat with those in the queue.

In short, do things that will put you next to other people with your interests and have you all doing something. It will be natural to chat about what you're doing, and acquaintances and friendships flow from there.

I took a Beginning Cooking class. There were all ages and sorts of people there, we were all lousy cooks, and we laughed at ourselves and each other. Someone suggested going out for a beer after class. Eventually we formed a "Dine with me and see if you survive" club, taking turns once a week cooking for each other.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.