[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Switching degrees
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1437295454347.jpg (73 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
1437295454347.jpg
73 KB, 800x900
Anybody made the decision to switch degrees midway through?

I'm currently 1.5 years into my CS degree, and quite frankly I hate it. I originally went in with the mindset of "I like computers, computer science sounds good", but it's been the opposite.
I see a lot of my class mates seem to live and breathe the subject whereas I couldn't care less, completing the work purely because I have to.

I'm considering switching into a biology focused Science degree, as it's a subject i've always been passionate about. But feel like a huge faggot doing it so late into my current degree.
>>
Better leave it now, that in 1 year
>>
>>17257308
I did it. I've actually changed degrees twitch. No regrets. The earlier you get out of it, the better. Might be able to get some credits too, so it won't be a major waste of time.
>>
>>17257358
*twice
>>
>>17257308
>biology focused Science degree, as it's a subject i've always been passionate about.

Do it. Change now. Even if you get your CS degree its still a waste if you don't want a CS job. The next 2/3 years could have a big impact on the rest of your life.
>>
>tfw i want to switch degrees as I start my senior year

I literally am not intrested in a single thing I'm studying. Fuck biology. My biggest regret in life is not getting into engineering
>>
>>17257308
I did it. It's easier than you think, and also more common. And it needn't slow you down much. If you're in the US system, the first couple of years are mainly required and gen ed courses anyway, so you will not be far behind in your new major (In my case I was not behind at all, and just had a couple of introductory classes in the old major that fell into the electives category.)

Go to the office of the new major and ask the receptionist who you see to declare your new major. (Do that first, on the very very slim chance that they're not accepting new majors.) Then go to the old department and tell them you're leaving them. Done.
>>
>>17257370
And you can still do it. The worst that can happen is that you'll have to stay on an extra 2 years to squeeze in all the engineering classes.
>>
Literally almost everyone I met in my business degree switched at some point from arts to business.

1.5 years is nothing dude your fine
>>
Right now I have 3 years under the belt into my CS degree, 1 to go. And I'm in the same boat, OP. I went to get a CS degree because I liked computer stuff and played videogames all day long.
But now, I realize that I don't really like in-depth computer stuff all that much, but I'll just stick with it since the pay is good and I have a higher chance of getting into professional military after I have my IT degree, which is where I want to be.
>>
>>17257308
I switched from Biology to Anthropology in the middle of sophomore year and it's still a time crunch to get classes completed
>>
If you are good with the technical aspects of CS then maybe go into computational biology. You get to work with a lot of bioinformatics and data science stuff, it has less to do with technology and more to do with combining math and your domain.
>>
Kek
I was in college for biology with the mindset of "i like biology, biology sounds good".
Dropped out and now i'm going for CS, because it's the only things i think i'll force myself to finish.
Just change, anon. If you think it's what you really want.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.