[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any jobs in things like baking, farming, blacksmithing,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: tupac.gif (287 KB, 499x373) Image search: [Google]
tupac.gif
287 KB, 499x373
Are there any jobs in things like baking, farming, blacksmithing, folk arts, or landscaping that can get you enough money to live on?

I ask because I hate the idea of being in some office building working at a computer for the rest of my life. I've been in development and IT jobs following a CS degree for the past few years and it's a nightmare.
>>
>>17256166
Welders make pretty good money.
>>
baking/pattisserie/kitchen work in general is definitely enough to live on
>>
>>17256166
Baking and landscaping - definitely enough to live on. How well? Depends on how good you are. You could start your own business and become very successful or you could tank.

Black smithing? Don't think there's much call for that sort of thing. If you want to be a craftsman, look at machining. A CNC machinist will earn six figures.
>>
>>17256166
Yeah there's a lot of stuff. You can do all of the above. You can be a glass blower and make bongs. You can grow weed. You can farm whatever the fuck you want.

You'll have to work your ass off no matter what you do friend. I'm like you but I successfully went the corporate office job route. I hate certain aspects of my life every day, but life is what we make it. It's not too late for me, and it's certainly not too late for you.

We all work our asses off. You can do it doing something you enjoy or be like me and do it doing something I think will be useful later but sucks absolute dick right now.
>>
>>17256236
That definitely does make a lot of sense, but I feel like "I won't regret this later" is such a nebulous concept that a lot of people in our generation cling to. Are we trading security now for the ability to enjoy our lives when our bodies are no longer working and adventure is no longer an option?
>>
You could always get a job in the bakery department at Walmart.
>>
>>17256261

Jesus Christ, no. It's misery incarnate.
>>
>>17256257
>Are we trading security now for the ability to enjoy our lives when our bodies are no longer working and adventure is no longer an option?
Well I can only speak to my specific situation and it wasn't a trade for me - it was a mandate. My parents (and brother) pulled out every single leverage they had to get me to go out of state to a "good" college.

It was a very good college. But even "good" colleges can't make up for choosing to do something for your parents vs. yourself.

So for me, I'm paying my own piper. I chose to go to college and allowed myself to be bullied into going somewhere "good" but without any clear direction, goal, plan, or really any idea of what life is really all about. I just had really smart, really manipulative, really sheltering parents and now I have student loan debt to pay off.

So I work my corporate job like a ruthless machine and live like a college student for one sole goal: To rid myself of all debt so I can, finally, at whatever age I manage to do it (probably 3 years from now), be free to worry only about food and shelter if I so choose.

3-5 more years and I'm out of Shawshank baby.
>>
>>17256200
>If you want to be a craftsman, look at machining. A CNC machinist will earn six figures.

Hahaha you kids are still falling for that /diy/ meme.
>>
>>17256457
>Hahaha you kids are still falling for that /diy/ meme.
I've never been to /diy/ so I don't know what you're on about. I have a family member who's a CNC machinist in Cali and he's earning roughly 120k. To be fair, he's the shop foreman too.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.