[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Detachment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
Is it normal to feel completely detached from your life? I was in an abusive situation for a few years, it left me a bit damaged. Among other issues, the most obvious and strangest is that I feel as if I have died. I'm left with a vague recollection of the abuse I endured, but most of my other memories have faded and feel unfamiliar. It feels like I'm living in someone else's skin. My family is foreign to me. The life I had before the abuse is gone.

No matter how hard I try, I can't remember what my personality was like. Right now I'm an empty shell with the personality of bread. I want to undo the damage that has been done, but I don't know where to start. My thoughts are incredibly scattered and really, I just feel lost.

I'm not really looking for advice I guess (since the answer to my problems is likely therapy), I just want to know that I'm not alone. Some form of comfort, something to keep me from killing myself before I'm convinced I've gone insane.
>>
>>17256039
>Is it normal to feel completely detached from your life?

nope.

>I was in an abusive situation for a few years, it left me a bit damaged. Among other issues, the most obvious and strangest is that I feel as if I have died. I'm left with a vague recollection of the abuse I endured, but most of my other memories have faded and feel unfamiliar. It feels like I'm living in someone else's skin. My family is foreign to me. The life I had before the abuse is gone.

cotard's syndrome/derealization.

>I just want to know that I'm not alone.

you're not. it's a pretty common response all things considered.
>>
>>17256044
>cotard's syndrome/derealization
Is the only treatment for this therapy/meds or are there self-help methods that would be effective?
>>
>>17256060
i dont have the biggest sample size, but just trying to willpower mental health issues away usually doesn't really work. you can get to a kind of functional state for a few on your own, ex. eating disorders/body dysmorphia on /fit/, but it usually comes back to bite you in the ass.
>>
>>17256069
Fuck. Well, off to therapy I go.

Do you know if there's any hope as far as recovering my memory goes? My long/short-term memory has gone to shit. I can't remember who my relatives are, or what I ate for breakfast this morning. Are the memories still there, and can be recovered somehow? Or are they lost forever?
>>
>>17256080
that's really out of my field man. but i do know memories are really rarely lost forever without traumatic brain injury. but it sounds like you should really see a doctor, those symptoms sound too severe to just be psychosomatic.
>>
>>17256090
>memories are really rarely lost forever without traumatic brain injury
That's comforting, thanks anon. I'll get myself checked out.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.