[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I get better at programming? I have CS degree and a programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: ebash.jpg (91 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
ebash.jpg
91 KB, 960x960
How can I get better at programming? I have CS degree and a programming job but my code is just shit. I know it's shit but my bosses don't because they aren't technical. They say I'm doing a good job as long as I show up on time and all of my shit works. I know if I tried to get a different job I'd get fired immediately. I'm working through Code Complete rn but I'm like 100 pages in and I'm not getting much out of it.
>>
Elaborate on what you mean by your code being shit. What language?
>>
>>17255977
I have an Android app (Java on XML layouts, swyft soon!) and a Cordova app (Javascript/Jquery/Bootstrap web app, basically).

It's like I know what an interface is from my classes but it would never even occur to me to make one. I don't even really know why you would. All the examples when were were learning were really basic and abstract.

We don't test shit, ever. I only know about bugs when users start complaining about it.

Nothing is planned out. I basically write down what needs to be done on paper and then just sort of wing it.
>>
>>17255988
Find a better place to work
>>
Are you the only programmer there? If not, how do you all complete a project if everyone else wings it the way you do?

If you are the only one, well, you might have to look at online resources to develop better coding practices because you won't magically develop better coding habits all on your own unless you see/try something different.
>>
>>17256037
>Are you the only programmer there?
Pretty much! Some people do some statistical analysis using Python but that's different.
>>
>>17256045
Eh, then you might have to find a different place to work so you can learn from other programmers and pick up their habits. Working big group projects will work wonders so keep an eye out for vacancies.

In the meantime... I guess you're stuck with self-improvement with online resources. You can always look at Codeacademy. If you want to pay for a small subscription (or convince your work to pay for you) you can use https://teamtreehouse com

You may know how to code, but these sites can at least teach you standard coding practices and better habits, like test driven development and whatnot. Make you a better team player when you find a better workplace.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.