[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I get some advice about renting please? Here's my situation:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: Jared_Leto.jpg (23 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
Jared_Leto.jpg
23 KB, 500x374
Can I get some advice about renting please?

Here's my situation:

>have to move out of current place on July 2
>I have a holiday booked from 1 July to 10 July
>then back in work

I just went to see a room and the move-in date is June 19th (next Sunday). If I take it I'll be spending two weeks of rent without even living there, around $425.

I'm worrying that if I don't take this place I'll eventually panic and have nowhere to go. I have a sister who lives in the same city but she is over 1.5 hours away and I don't really want to take all my stuff and leave it in her small apartment.

What do you guys think?

I'm often quite careless with money but right now I'm thinking $425 is a lot to spend on a place I won't be living.
>>
>>17255260

Well, you have to take into consideration you local rent apartment situation; how likely is it that you won't find another place? It's possible that you might have no where to go or you might find a place easily. We can't help you there, you probably know it better.

If you decide not to rent it, you could consider renting a storage unit somewhere instead. You could store your stuff there until you have a place to move them to and they're generally reasonable priced.
>>
>>17255260
>>17255272
The thing is I'm only looking to rent for the short term. I don't want to get stuck in a long-term contract and this place is three months, which is great. I'm looking to find a new job in the very near future.
>>
>>17255260
your second month's rent should be prorated for the amount you didn't live in the apartment for your first month. You shouldn't be losing out on rent money.
>>
I was paying 895 for my apartment lease that ended June 4th.

I had been searching for a new living arrangement since February but couldn't find any compatible move in dates (no shit) and eventually found a Duplex for 1250 but the move in date was for May 3rd.

I had anticipated this and saved enough for the additional month and any deposits. In total paid 3395 to seal the deposit and rent and my rent for May at my old apartment.

This gave me an entire month to move my belongings at my own leisure and set up new utilities and cancel old utilities with the different companies since I've relocated to a different part of town.

My best advice to plan ahead and not waste time. Make sure your current landlords know your situation. If you're a good tenant maybe they'll throw you a bone.
>>
>>17255278
What do you mean? Sorry I don't understand.

As things stand I will have to pay a deposit plus the entire first months' rent, which will go from the 19th June to 19th July.

I paid a whole month's rent on my current place which goes from 2nd June to 2nd July. So there is a two week period wherein I will be paying to occupy both properties. The cost of this will be $425.

I don't know whether to wait and save the money but risk not finding a nice place, or just taking it and losing the money. It's not that I'm extremely poor or anything but it just seems like a big reckless waste.
>>
>>17255284
Thanks for the reply. The difference I imagine is that I will only be staying at the new place for three months, which is great for me. And my current landlord is a retarded Mongolian who has basically asked me to leave, so there's no chance I'll get any money back and I'm even worrying
>>
>>17255285
Call your current landlord and ask if it's possible to have some rent refunded if you are out by June 19th. There might be someone lined up to take over your current place, who would be happy to get in a little early. It's worth asking.
>>
>>17255294
I will ask. Though I actually live with her and I suspect she will say no out of spite if nothing else.
>>
>>17255285
Oh, I understand now. Your rent is collected from the 19th to the 19th in the new place. I thought you meant you were not going to be getting to live in the place for 19 of the days you were paying for this month, which is where prorating comes in.

This is just one of those things you're going to lose the money for no matter what. IMO I would use that time to take my time moving, so that you don't have to rush and move all in one day. I paid for the whole month of October last time I moved and just took the whole time to get all of my stuff in as many trips as I wanted.
>>
>>17255293
No problem.

Unfortunately sometimes you just have to spend the money so you aren't plagued with worry. Coming up to the day to waste 3k was a little frustrating but I got the price I was comfortable with, perfect location, perfect home, everything I wanted. My finances expected it and so did I. Best of luck to you.
>>
OP here.

Would it be rude of me if I ask the person I'm looking to rent the room from whether I can push on the move-in date by a week?

I assume it's the 19th for a reason but can it hurt to ask?
>>
>>17255308
No. Never hurts.

Most of the time these joints want someone to fill the space ASAP however a tenant with great credit, reliability, even no Pets might be the better decision for the management.

Ask as many questions as possible.
>>
Jared Leto is a poor man's Cillain Murphy
>>
>>17255260

Have you thought about renting a storage container and storing your stuff there until the place comes up or. It's a pretty good gap filler and I've seen people do it before.
>>
>>17255309
There's no management, it's just a student who is sub-letting his room to me for three months. He's said there are others interested which is why I have to email him tonight since I think I made a good impression.
>>
>>17255326
I have a sister who lives on the far side of the city so if I'm totally stuck she can take my stuff for a few weeks if need be. It's just if I do that I'll have to stay at hers for at least one week while commuting 1.5 hours to and from work on a sweaty mid-summer subway and also spend my evenings looking for apartments.
>>
OP here again.

I was thinking of sending this:

"
Hi X,

Thanks for showing me around today. If the room's still available I'd certainly be interested in taking it. Quick question: providing the room is still available, would it be possible to push on the move-in date one week? I realize there's probably a reason you've set it as the 19th, it's just my current tenancy ends on the 5th of July so there's quite a bit of overlap. Not a huge problem if not, but thought best to ask.

Thanks again and hope to hear back
"

Does this sound ok? Am I not being forceful enough here?
>>
>>17255343
I see no problems
>>
>>17255360
Would it make more sense to drop the "I'd certainly be interested in taking it" part and just ask at first if I could move it on?

This may make him think I won't take it until he does move it, and if I've made as good an impression as I think I have he may be more likely to negotiate?

What do people think?

I appreciate all your help.
>>
>>17255377
Considering this joker wants to get paid sooner than later you may want to give them the most optimal promise you can fulfill. Just think about it from their perspective. Don't worry about this that much. In the meantime keep looking for another arrangement and get this email over with.
>>
>>17255427
So which email do you think is best?

1. Where I say I'd love to take it + ask to move it back?

2. Just ask if I can move it back?
>>
>>17255438
I'll let you figure this one out. I need to drive home.
>>
>>17255448
>>17255438
Anybody else willing to give me their thoughts on which to ask?

I feel the first one is just inviting him to say "no" as he already thinks I'll take it and there's nothing in it for him.
>>
OP here bumping!

Any suggestions on this: >>17255438

??

I intend to email the guy in the next 30 minutes or so since I'm worrying someone else will take it.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.