[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some hobbies and passions that are attractive to have?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Farren-3-Shatner.jpg (48 KB, 740x551) Image search: [Google]
Farren-3-Shatner.jpg
48 KB, 740x551
What are some hobbies and passions that are attractive to have? You know, like when people ask you what you like to do.

Because in my case, I make indie games but I'd be unconfortable sharing that with people irl. I'm learning some musical instrument but not nearly good enough yet. I like writing stories but I never finish anything. I like drawing but I haven't drawn anything in a long while. I like watching movies but that doesn't count I guess.
>>
>>17254585
>looking for hobbies to impress other people

That defeats the purpose, silly anon. Some people might not like indie game designers, but nobody likes a poser.
>>
>>17254585
I compose music and read cards because I enjoy it. What others think of my hobbies is completely irrelevant to me.

Just do what you like; that's the point of hobbies.
>>
I like men to be a good combo of manly and nerdy/artistic. You've got the nerdy/artistic thing down, but what else do you do? I think it's very attractive when a man knows how to work on cars, fix things around the house, or has a job that requires coveralls and hard hats. Kind of like most guys like girls who are nerdy/outdoorsy, but also can be feminine and cook.
>>
If you are a guy then sports, football watching, volunteering, chess, taking care of a pet, watching popular shows.
If you are a girl then sports, instagram, cooking, sewing, volunteering, taking care of a pet, artsy stuff, watching popular shows.
>>
>>17254590
Good point. At least unless the poser is good at posing?
>>
>>17254593
Curious, what is "reading cards"?
>>
>>17254598
I can't speak for all hobbies/passions, but the musicians who play for attention and prestige are pretty fucking obvious compared to those who don't.
>>
>>17254601
>what is "reading cards"?
You might know it as fortune telling, in this case with tarot cards. I also read a few other things and scry, but I assumed you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>17254590
+1

In my experience, what matters most is how passionate you are about your hobbies, and how they complement your personality and your relationships.

I, for example, am really into board games, and in fact I've designed a couple and am trying to get one published. Obviously there aren't a lot of women who think to themselves "oh yeah, got to get me one of them amateur board game designers," but I can talk about it well, and that goes a long way. I can describe it and show how much it means to me, but I can also read when someone is really not interested and can change the subject.

I had a friend who purposely did not tell his fiancée that he was a Star Trek fan until they moved in together and she saw his DVD collection. That, to me, is the worst thing you can do. No matter what your hobby is, if you're ashamed of it, it's a turn-off.
>>
>>17254610
Actually I do, I've always been fascinated by all things "occult", spiritual, Wiccan, all of it! Cool hobbies anon!
>>
What are the hobbies nobody would like then?
Like shitposting for 5 hours a day at 4chan.
Not OP
>>
>>17254611
That's automatically interesting to me, when people have obscure or "different" hobbies. I'm a pretty bland and boring person when it comes to hobbies myself, so I'm always impressed by everyone else.
>>
>>17254622
Jerking off and keeping the finished product. Collecting urine in coke bottles and keeping them in your room. Bronies.
>>
>>17254626
Thank you!
But as for you own, uh, blandness, is there anything you see your friends or colleagues doing that makes you think, "I wish I could do that?" What's stopping you?
>>
>>17254585
Honestly any hobby is attractive if you're really passionate enough to say it's your hobby.

But you want a better answer than that.
Sports are good. Anything from hockey to basketball to cycling to fucking tennis motherfucker!
Maybe pick up hunting. Get knowledge of the land and learn how to cook real food.
You could also make cooking a hobby. Bake and cook and BBQ and share your shit with friends and family. Throw epic Hannibal-aesthetic dinners.

To name a few.
>>
>>17254620
Oh, that's neat. I'm actually an occultist, and I've done a good amount of original research, to which I dedicate more time than divination. I typically use readings as a form of currency these days. Around here, quick card readings are $10-$25, and scrying sessions are $20-$50, so it seems I'm paying well/giving generously.

At the risk of minor derailing, what are you into?
>>
>>17254634
I have your typical, run of the mill hobbies like video games, reading, watching anime, makeup, nail art. The only interesting "hobby" I guess would be the occult/spiritual stuff, but I don't get super into it because there isn't anyone I know who also has an interest in it so it keeps me from perusing it more. Also the stigma that comes with it is bad, and a lot of people who ARE into it take it to a weird, "wears a cat bell choker and pentagram pendant and acts 'quirky' on purpose" level that makes it hard to relate to them. Also I considered making YouTube videos but I'm a mom and wife and no one cares about you unless you're 18 and gorgeous and rich.
>>
>>17254641
Divination is awesome, most of what I like is kind of an eclectic/kitchen mix. I love researching and collecting paraphernalia more so than practicing.
>>
>>17254657
>eclectic/kitchen mix
Oh, I'm lacking in knowledge of that. Someone asked me about peppercorns recently, and I had no idea what to say other than linking a site I found with Google. Some of the occult shops around here have large stores of all manner of ingredients, and I have no clue what any of them do.

>>17254648
>the stigma that comes with it is bad
I live in a liberal area, so I can get away with presenting fortune telling as entertainment, but I don't know anyone around here who is a serious seeker. The closest I've found is...
>a lot of people who ARE into it take it to a weird, "wears a cat bell choker and pentagram pendant and acts 'quirky' on purpose"
Ya, people like that; I very often stick out like a sore thumb whenever I attend anything because I dress conservatively and have a rather businesslike demeanor.

I usually just tell people I write music and leave it at that.
>>
Passion is attractive.

Stick to what genuinely interests you. If your face lights up when you talk about it, other people will be caught up in your enthusiasm.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.