[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best path to becoming an engineer ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: nh-plutosurface.png (1 MB, 1041x742) Image search: [Google]
nh-plutosurface.png
1 MB, 1041x742
so I already have an electrical engineering degree with computer engineering concentration
couldn't find work as an entry level engineer after almost a year of looking
so currently I'm a technician but I've gotten job offer for an entry level IT position in one company and First Article inspection at another,
so i'm wondering what path I should take
should I stay in my current job as technician and try to work my way up in the company through there even though im not learning any new skills there and is basically like assembling legos with the occasional multi meter measurement here and there
or
should I take the FAI or IT job try to work my way to an engineer that way?
>>
>>17254557
Take the FAI job, you'll be familiarizing yourself with relevant process, documentation, and industry standard all at once. The experience will be much more valuable than an IT position. You know how an FAI works right?
>>
>>17254577
Vaguely from what the interviewer said
Just making sure certain parts documentation is formated correctly and uses testing from approved sources
>>
>>17254704
So, I work for an aircraft supplier, but for us, an FAI is essentially proof to the customer that the process we are proposing can produce valid product. I'm going to go through how we do it because the way you describe it sounds a little different.

First, configuration engineering looks at the drawing/part model and in the FAI package and outlines every criteria that is relevant to the part. Usually this means combing the drawing for any notes that call for criteria governed by product specs; and calling out general requirements like dimensions, surface finish, materials, etc. From this, we generate an inspection checklist and manufacturing procedure that will be used later by DQR, a customer representative, to validate the product. Process engineering follows the WIP to ensure everything is done correctly up to inspection. The DQR will inspect, and is usually assisted by configuration, process, and quality engineering, and either approves or disapproves the product. If the product is rejected, engineering will find the problem and fix it and we try again. If the product is approved, the FAI is recorded, proof given to the customer, and we begin production.

It sounds like you'll be filling the role of DQR essentially, so you'll be responsible for knowing every specification thay governs your part. If you have a degree, the natural progression from this is to go to engineering. Even if you don't I'd expect that performing well could maybe see you going to quality engineering but it's unlikely. A decade ago people were much more likely to get promoted to engineering without a degree but now not so much I think.
>>
>>17254781
The full title from the temp company actually is
FAI quality engineer
Though the pay doesn't seem like an engineer's
>>
>>17254927
Leaving your current job is a whole other decision, but definitely take the FAI job over the IT job. Most of the people I see working in IT are bored out of their minds and hate everyone because they constantly get called for stupid shit. Maybe an IT guy can come in and give a different perspective.
>>
>>17254977
OK but the thing is what I'd like to do as engineering eventually is embedded systems or something relating to computer engineering I thought IT may have been a path to that
>>
File: sftws_2.jpg (59 KB, 648x348) Image search: [Google]
sftws_2.jpg
59 KB, 648x348
>>17254977
>Maybe an IT guy can come in and give a different perspective.
Have you tried turning it off and on again
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.