[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is mental illness always a dealbreaker when it comes to relationships?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 960x720
Is mental illness always a dealbreaker when it comes to relationships?

I met someone who's otherwise really great this weekend, but he's on disability for depression and I'm not sure what that means.
>>
>>17254244
Its not a dealbreaker persay, but depending on how unstable he is there will be days where your relationship will take an unexpected turn; it'll either be up to you to try and steer him out of a downspiral or it'll be up to him to try and regain control of himself. Either way, if its a real connection and you want to try, you should go for it, but just be prepared for him to make some of his insecurities pilot the relationship; unfortunately it may not be up to him to decide this on his own, depression can sometimes take control and change the whole dynamic of your relationship. There will be bad days, but who doesn't have those already anyways.
>>
It means his mental illness is so severe that it badly affects his ability to work. Personally, I am mentally ill, and I wouldn't fuck around with someone who's too ill to work.
>>
>>17254255
He seemed fine the whole day, a bit awkward but he did say he's like that with new people.

I'm personally an extrovert with no social skills and I end up overwhelming people a lot, especially those who are too nice to say "no" and expect you to pick up from social cues.
>>
What is that guy doing in the bath with a mummy?
>>
>>17254323
getting nice and clean.
>>
Honestly, it means he probably lacks motivation to do anything on his own. Being on disability for depression is a load of bullshit. Ask yourself, what is this guy honestly going to bring to the table?
>>
I'm too mentally ill to work, but I have severe anxiety issues, not depression. You would have to be prepared to accept a lot of shit such as not wanting to leave the house or doing anything, and he may end up being completely dependant and clingy.
Unless he lied about his depression to get free money from the government, then he's just a lazy faggot who doesn't want to work.
>>
I dont think so.
Im currently seeing someone who is very supportive. He knows about my debilitating anxiety and my depression and has handled incidents well. Knows that a kiss on the forehead and a long hug usually settles me down.

Ive tried to dump him a few times dye to me spending time thinking that he deserves a normal girl but he never lets me run away.
>>
>>17254244
Life is challenging and you'd have to be twice (or more) as strong to handle your shit and his. I'm not sure attraction can survive that for a long time.

If you have to get involved, my advice would be to learn mindfulness (making sure not to neglect relaxation techniques) and loving-kindness meditation and practice them with him for one hour every day until he's completely cured and off of meds, which is possible but takes hard hard mental work.

You could start by reading The Mindful Way Through Depression (for some of the science behind this) and Mindfulness In Plain English (for the practice). Then learn the loving-kindness technique (also known as Metta) from YouTube videos.

If he refuses to do that because he can't stand his own mind - no surprise in this case - do it on your own. You'll need it.

And he'll be free to join you any time.

Good luck.
>>
33 year old here.
[Yes, I'm using "appeal to age" here]
The only correct answer is that it obviously depends on the person.
You have to ask yourself what you want out of a relationship, and whether you even count their illness as an actual disease.
The APA, NIMH, NAMI and WHO all state mental illness is not permanent, and there is debate on whether all of them are actually illnesses or diseases.
Depression and anxiety are actually normal responses to hostile and boring environments, and they only technically become a disability when people feel overwhelmed.
Both are also extremely overdiagnosed.

Disclosure:
I myself am diagnosed with 4 disorders, but I deny all of them, not due to ignorance but due to knowledge.
>>
>>17254396
He's warm and lets me touch him places.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.