[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /adv/ im a 22yo guy and i have a pretty fucked up problem.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: IMG-20160613-WA0009.jpg (31 KB, 389x419) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160613-WA0009.jpg
31 KB, 389x419
Hi /adv/ im a 22yo guy and i have a pretty fucked up problem. My father has been an alcoholic since i remember, not that he would become physically agressive against anyone in my family, but he has totally destroyed his body over the years. He now is 80% disabled and needs day and night care. I personally also have a huge drinking problem which i really cant control anymore.I dont live at my home but i feel its kind of my duty to care for him. On the other hand i had a time in my 16-20s where i was permanently living with the thought of him dying soon. What do you guys think of my Situation? I have often thought about asking someone but never had the balls to.
>>
>>17252635

You're doing the first step man, I don't about your father his situation is way more messed up than yours, what's done is done. But you, you admit being an alcoholic and caring too much about your father.

This is nice, now that you know where you're stepping, let's slowly change.

> How's life ? Studies ? Work ?
> Have some discipline, don't sleep too late and wake up early, a cliché as it may sound it will stop you from drinking early in the morning.
> Set yourself some goals, change your daily habits, busy yourself with activities so that you don't be all day drinking.
> Anyone who cares about you ? Tell him/her how you feel, talk about your situation and what do you want to change and how you will do it. Saying publicly your goals will help you following the right path to do it, you might even get good advice

Plus this drinking addiction seems to be triggered by your situation, you need to fix your context otherwise every action you will do against the drinking problem will be nullified, go get a good psychologist if you have the money, or even the alcoholics anonymous. RELY ON OTHERS

Anymore questions ? I'm a student in psychology I know some stuff
>>
Its not that im aware of my whole problems recently but i cant think of a good start. My studies are doing meh, i never did much for school and mostly made it to where I am by learning not more than 2-3 days for my exams. Its that I travel between the place where I study and my hometown mostly on the weekends and when im at my hometown im mostly around friends which leads to me going to bed early. During the week I try to eat better than the past years which works most of the time. It's not that I'm drinking every day, I don't even feel the urge to but when I go out on the weekends 1/4 times I get so fucked up that I dont know how I came home. I did go to the gym regularely for 3 years but I haven't been there for almost two years now. I talked about this with some of my closest friends but they are not really a big help, can't tell you why. What would you do in a case of internet addiction ? I need my pc for studying and exams are in 3 weeks. I also think a lot about my father being dead, although he is still alive.... I can't really do anything with him besides talking about some unimportant stuff.
>>
>>17252684

First time posting on 4chan so I didn't know how to use the reply function
>>
>>17252716
I fucked up... Me getting visited by friends leads to me going to bed late. I also don't have money for a psychologist. I talked to a doctor once and he made a list of to do things with me but when I had the next meeting with him I fucked up and came a day later where the doctor had closed and it was pretty ambarassing for me so I never came back to him. I know that he would not be mad at me but it was just really embarrassing... This was around a year from now. I kind of feel like in the movie groundhog day
>>
>>17252716
It's okay.

Well about "internet addiction" you just have to do it at first, I had to do it too.
Here is my method
> Went to the university every day just so I didn't slack on the job, was studying in the uni library that really helps to be in a quiet room, made for studying.

But there's other things you could do, depending on your will, you could just download everything you need to studying then power off the internet for a while, just so you can study in peace. (Also, make a schedule that you will follow, be disciplined about it, don't say to yourself "come on, i'm just checking my feed and i'm back to my books" )

>>17252746
Thanks for correcting it, I didn't understand the logic lol.

About the drinking addiction, I will not tell you to avoid your friends, I know how it is. It would be plain rude and you would follow that advice. Just try to do it less often, or in a moderate way. You can't decide properly after drinking so what would be best for you is to avoid drinking in the first place, make it very rare to drink a lot.

And then, the difficult thing is the trouble with your father, it is the most psychological matter you have, you lack the money for a psychologist but it would be best if you could deal with it because I can't and no friend will really help you to clear that out (But if you want, we could talk about it here, I will do my best if you wish to do that)
>>
>>17252746
Don't worry about the doctor, they get that all the time, you could have called him a day after to tell him a random lie or tell him you're sorry.
>>
You should take care of your father.

Not only is it your duty as his family, but you wouldn't be able to live with the guilt of having killed your father, no matter how badly he treated you in the past.
>>
>>17252774
I cannot prononce myself on that, personally and I will not do that. Doing so will only make him feel guilty about it. He's trying to live his life. I'm not saying he should abandon him either but that is not ours to say
>>
>>17252635
>You should take care of your father.
>Not only is it your duty as his family, but you wouldn't be able to live with the guilt of having killed your father, no matter how badly he treated you in the past.

Plus, there would be repercussions throughout your life. Some family members would disapprove of not helping your father. Your children would hear about it in the future, and that might weigh on their minds against you.

Not only is it morally the right thing, it's also rationally the right thing to do.
>>
>>17252764

I will try your way of dealing with the internet addiction, I do have to go to school either way because that's where I learn the important stuff.
I guess I will call my doctor and tell him about my current situation, I guess I should talk to him because I told him the complete story and he is pretty informed.
You are right about the problem with my father, I guess I just hoped that somebody here would have some miracle answer to my problem but I guess I can't solve it that easy.
About my drinking problem, I had a time where I also smoked a lot of weed and I have been taking mdma amphetamine and some cocaine for nearly 2 years ( not really regularly and I really can say that I'm not addicted to any of these substances) I had to quit weed because of some unnecessary story with the police but I would really rather smoke a joint on the weekends than drinking... I hope this this Is over soon.
Thank you buddy for your advice... It feels better than expected to write with someone who puts some interest in my problem
>>
>>17252774

My father lives with my mother which is pretty stressed out (has her own shop) which means that my father is looked after but she is really pissed off about him doing nothing, only smoking cigarettes all day (he quit drinking once and for all because of liver cirrhosis). But I really can't go home every weekend because at my hometown I was pretty much destroying myself which kind of made me "flee" to where I study now
>>
>>17252810

No problem, I told you, you did the first step. Be proud and keep on, be disciplined and give your life another meaning. This is not easy and you will need the support of either your doctor or your buddies, you will also need to shut yourself up and to bear the pain sometimes, but you're okay if you do it all out. Concentrate on your life, study a lot, busy your life with any activities you really like.
You might want to try to visit your parents just so you can stop caring about them sometimes, but don't make it a routine since you don't feel good there, do it whenever you feel good enough to have an evening with them or a few hours in the day. Spare some of that drinking money in gifts for them or books for yourself (not these cheap "how to win at life" scam, real scientific books about addictions, etc)
There is a lot of way to help yourself, just find what's best for you. Get a girlfriend maybe or go watch every 50's top-tier movie, anything that will make you relax and develop your sense to happiness.
A doctor isn't a psychologist but he is also formed to help in this kind of situations, I really hope you have a doctor with good intentions rather than the dude who tell you to jerk off to random drugs.

I wish you luck, come back to me if you need to talk with a random dude rather than confess with a close friend: [email protected]
>>
>>17252847
I never had a girlfriend, just some girls I fucked with. I met someone on my holiday in Taiwan (not an asian girl) and I feel pretty connected to her even though I think she might be a slut haha
I should repair my bike these days so I'm more flexible, but I want to do that since a month or so(it's just changing the tire) procrastination is a bitch.
The doctor is an old man and I don't think he is a careless guy so he's pretty okay I guess.
I screenshotted your email so I can message you to tell you how the past days have been going. I won't spam you don't worry but it's nice to have someone who doesn't know me in person to talk about my fuckups.
I am really thankful for your helping words buddy. I go to sleep now it's nearly 3am, have a good day/night
>>
>>17252899
Good night
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.