[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask the lawfag!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: lawfag2.jpg (5 KB, 150x239) Image search: [Google]
lawfag2.jpg
5 KB, 150x239
Hey adv, LawFag here. I'm a lawyer, ask me anything. Keep in mind I'm Canadian, do mostly family law.
>>
>>17252434
Is that a pic of you??
>>
>>17252434
What's the point of legal marriage?
>>
>>17252435
I wish that were me. I'd spend all day at home defiling myself. I'm a guy. I just like the picture, she's hot.
>>
>>17252437
>What's the point of legal marriage?
These days? In Canada or 'Murica? Not much, other than in many jurisdictions there are different property rights, and in many countries the right to inherit.
>>
Is it legal for me to compost my own shit and use it for fertilizer on crops I sell?
>>
>>17252460
Can you create a will that will allow your SO to inherit without legal marriage?
>>
>>17252467
>Is it legal for me to compost my own shit and use it for fertilizer on crops I sell?
That depends on where you live. Personally, I don't see a problem with that. If you compost it, and mix it in with other waste, and let it rot for a season, then use it then fine.

But you said "for sale", so obviously you should check to see if there are commercial rules or laws in your area about using human waste on crops which you intend to sell.

Having said that, I'm going to go shit in my garden. Saves on the water bill. Be right back.
>>
>>17252482
>Can you create a will that will allow your SO to inherit without legal marriage?
Shit, I should have said in my initial post "if you have a legal question then tell me where you live!" But I didn't. I've been drinking.

Yes, in most jurisdictions in the western world, you can leave your worldly possessions to whomever you wish, even to your pets (in trust, that has to be set up carefully).

Keep in mind that (in most jurisdictions) if you have dependents, either minor children or a spouse to whom you owe ongoing support, they can make a claim against your estate which will likely supersede your will. Ask an estate or family lawyer near you for details.

Lastly, in many places a marriage will nullify a will made prior to the marriage. If you're divorced or separated, don't assume that your will is still valid if made prior to the marriage. A lot of people make that very bad mistake.
>>
>>17252502
Interesting. I'm from California, and I've been curious about the subject. I'm leaning towards not getting legally married.
>>
>>17252502
>dependents
You mean dependants
>>
>>17252516
I'm in Canada. We spell things correctly here.

And anyway, if I make a typo then you're welcome to help yourself to my garden excrement.
>>
>>17252514
>Interesting. I'm from California, and I've been curious about the subject. I'm leaning towards not getting legally married.

Then get thee to legal counsel! I can't tell you about California estate law with any certainty, and I'm certainly not licensed to practise there.

But it's always a good idea to have a cohabitation agreement if you're going to live common-law. In many jurisdictions, a common-law relationship will eventually give to the spouses the same essential rights as a legal marriage. Make sure you know what you're doing before you assumed that your common-law spouse can't touch the house you owned outright before they move in for years, or if you intend to leave your estate to your kids when by the time you die your spouse is entitled to make an alimony claim.
>>
Hypothetically speaking, say that someone is violently choking my kid, I stab that person, and they die. Am I in trouble, or is it considered legal to kill in defense of your child?

Just asking because I had a disagreement about this earlier.
>>
>>17252547
>is it considered legal to kill in defense of your child?
Great question! It combines my love of violence for my love of children.

What country are you in? Is the child a minor? is the strangler the other parent? Is the strangler another minor?

I love disagreements and arguments about hypothetical law. How did the argument turn out?
>>
>>17252434
>Keep in mind I'm Canadian

Leaf
>>
>>17252650
>Leaf

I've got a well fertilized garden for you to tuck into, if you wish.
>>
>>17252641
In this hypothetical, the child is a minor (let's say preteen), the assailant is his father.

We let the argument sit because neither of us had a real answer, my father said it depends on the jury, I said I'm pretty sure you can legally kill to save your child.
>>
>>17252524
>dependents
>the correct spelling of the noun form of the word
>anywhere
>>
>>17252641
Oh, and the country is USA, state of Maryland.
>>
>>17252674
>>dependents
>>the correct spelling of the noun form of the word
>>anywhere
Eat me. I get paid by the word, even if I spell it wrong.
>>
File: image.png (94 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.png
94 KB, 1024x768
>>17252674
>>17252682
You didn't spell it wrong. Anon is full of shit.
>>
>>17252687
Screw me, I didn't think I'd run into spelling / grammar nazis on 4chan. Wow. Thanks for batting for me Anon, although I might have been wrong.
>>
>>17252434
If a someone living in the same student shared flat with me is secretly using my scales (I find flour in them regularly) and using my food (it disappears without reason) is it illegal if I put laxatives in my own food to give him diarrhea?
>>
>>17252675
OK, this isn't simple. There's a "defense of provocation", usually reserved for the guy who kills the dude whom is discovered in the midst of having sex with the assailant's wife. But that can be extended in theory to someone trying to murder one's child.

In law, one life is the same as any other. And you're allowed to defend yourself, plus those to whom you owe a fiduciary duty of protection, such as one's minor children. But the law says that the force needed to defend must be in measure with the force being applied.

So if I stab and kill someone who is trying to literally strangle my child to death, it will depend on the evidence that I believed that my child would die if I didn't act with deadly force. Obviously, stabbing is likely to be deemed less "deadly" than shooting, unless I'm trained in knife use and I went straight for the heart.

The question will be the level of the threat and whether I responded in kind. If the "assailant" has merely insulted me on facebook then I won't get far with that defense if I shoot someone in the face. But if my child is being strangled, I doubt any jury would convicted me if I used potentially deadly force.

Having said that, if I shoot the assailant in the face or stab them in the heart and it turns out that they were likely just playfighting, I can look forward to some jail time.

In short, it depends on the facts. If you want to get more specific in the hypothetical then reply to me.
>>
>>17252757
>is it illegal if I put laxatives in my own food to give him diarrhea?
Great question! It combines my love of eating with my love of explosive diarrhea.

Generally speaking, you're free to lace your own food with laxatives. However, whether you'd be charged with the criminal offense of administering a noxious substance will depend on whether the food is known by the eater to be yours and only yours. So feel free to post a sign on the fridge saying "I've labelled my food, and only I know which items contain a strong laxative".

It's like when you see a lawn on a corner lot which says 'lawn has been fertilized organically", which may or may not be true, but warns potential trespassers that they might get poop on their shoes.

I need to have another shit, and maybe I'll take it on my front yard than in my garden. But there's some law that likely tells me I can't defecate on my lawn in view of the public. If I'm charged I'll say that some spelling/grammar nazi promised to clean it up.

Anyway, do what you want to your food. But you need evidence that it was clear to all roommates that your food is not to be messed with. In reality, your roommate could then spooge in your food too. Get a fridge in your room if this is a problem. That's my best advice.
>>
>>17252434
do you know much about immigration law? Suppose I was Canadian and got married to a Chilean woman in Chile. Would it be easy for the marriage to be recognized in Canada? Lots of paperwork? What am I looking at here, this is actually hypothetical though. The goal though is to bring the Chilean woman to Canada.
>>
>>17252858
>The goal though is to bring the Chilean woman to Canada.
Good question. I don't do immigration law. If you know any lawyers personally, go ask them. If you need a referral let me know.

Your spouse being from Chile, or whether your marriage is accepted as valid, isn't the issue. The question is whether your spouse gets preferential treatment from Immigration Canada.

That'll depend on whether you're willing to sponsor the spouse. Sponsoring means that you agree that if your spouse is granted some kind of status in Canada, and then leaves you and goes on welfare, that you'll be on the hook to pay for that welfare. That rule is meant to deter marriage/immigration fraud.

You need to see an immigration lawyer for more specifics, but this doesn't have anything to do with the "validity of marriage" or the country that your spouse is coming from. Make sense?
>>
>>17252915
got it thanks, I'm not even Canadian but I'm pretty sure the things are the same or similar in USA. It makes sense to me, it's more about their ability to stay rather than marriage validity.
>>
>>17252944
Yeah, exactly. If you need some online info or a referral, let me know here.
>>
>>17252434
Know anything about Canadian copyright laws?

If not that's fine, but I was wondering to what extent you could get in trouble for pirating media for personal use (no sharing, and if it's a torrent you never seed a fully copy of the file back).
>>
>>17253290
>to what extent you could get in trouble for pirating media for personal use
I'm no expert in copyright law.

If you're personally using something which would normally cost a lot for a license then you could be in some trouble, if you're caught.

Downloading music and movies that are under copyright, even if for personal use, can get you the attention of the copyright holder as well. Obviously, if you download a lot you are more likely to get the attention of the copyright holder.

I know that's not much of an answer, I'm sorry. But it's a vague question and not my area of expertise.
>>
OK, adv. It's time for bed. I've pooped in my yard, front and back. I've watched Mike Tyson Mysteries. I've drank my drink, ate my eat, smoked my smokables, and now it's time to sleep my brain. Full day in court tomorrow.

Feel free to post further, but I won't reply tonight, and who knows if this thread will be around in the morning? G'night /adv/ocates!
>>
>>17252434
Hey.

I want to immigrate to Canada from the US. I have no family that lives there, I speak basic French, have a bachelors degree in digital media, IT and design job experience. Would this allow me to get express entry/immediate residency?

What are the general steps/paperwork needed for emigration/immigration?

Do you recommend moving?

Thanks!
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.