[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i stop fearing death /adv/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: skull.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
skull.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
how do i stop fearing death /adv/?
>>
You don't.It's one of the most basic instincts for self-preservation and it's very deeply ingrained into our minds.It's what keeps us alive and,in some ways,makes us feel alive.Everyone is fearful of death to some extent,even suicidal people(unless they're sociopathic or something).

If you want to ease the fear,you could start believing in a religion or philosophy like epicureanism.Or accept it as unavoidable and try to channel the fear to make the most out of your life(easier said than done,but eh).
Some people with some talent(like Unamuno) have tried to become "inmortal" through their works.You could try to do something for which you'll be remembered.Don't shoot up a school tho.

Other than that,you could think about what it is that you really fear.Is it what will happen after your death?Is it not feeling anything?Is it leaving something undone?That might help you find an answer.Or not.The fuck I know.
>>
By dying. Once you're dead, that's it. Game over. There won't be a YOU to experience anything. It won't even be nothingness, because you have to be alive to experience nothingness.

What was it like before you were alive? What was it like when you fell into a dreamless sleep? That's death. Nothing to be afraid of.
>>
‘Death, is nothing to us, since when we exist there is no death, and when there is death we do not exist.’

you are fearing a boogeyman. you can't really stop your body from wanting to not die, but you can get your mind to understand death is not real.
>>
>>17251847

What do you fear of death?

everyone dies, you might feel a bit of pain while dying, but it will be over soon.
>>
>>17252045
What about terminal cancer? That's what I thought, faggot. Go shill your nonsense elsewhere before I smash your face in with the almighty hammer of THOR
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Here op:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/10/04/manvotional-the-love-of-life-and-the-fear-of-death/
>>
Your wasting your life worrying about
Death.death will come when it comes, best to live your life and not think about it.
>>
>>17251847
By kys
>>
>>17251847
By embracing life.
>>
File: 1462043417099.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1462043417099.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>>17252039
>>
>>17251847
Embrace that fear! Study it, learn how to use it as a motivator to accomplish something in the time you have on this planet.

Read some philosophy, existentialism for beginners if necessary. Embrace the void.
>>
>>17251847
Death. It's irrational to fear it honestly.
Perhaps it makes you sad or upset instead.
But what is there to fear about death? Everlasting nonexistance? How is that even an experience? You literally can't experience death(you can experience dying though), just like you can't experience what it was like to be unborn.

However. If you really want to overcome your fear then there are many ways to go about it.
My favourite is learning philosophy. It helps rationalize shit. I suggest Alan Watts.

You could also go about the more dangerous route and simulate an nde.

Or you can just live and forget about dying until you're older.
>>
>>17251847
By believing you have a soul and you'll still live after death (heaven/hell) or you'll be born again (Buddhism).

Personally I tend to think there's not anything like souls and if I die my atoms change their constellation because of the decaying of my body.
Eventually maybe by a big coincidence part of my atoms will be part of a new living creature, because they end up in the earth nutritioning plants and after that they form fruits (food). I mean I only am because I function like some kind of a machine. I eat, convert energy and am getting rid of parts not needed anymore (feces, dead cells etc). The converted energy and atoms are used to run my body and even three times for me to create and nutritioning new life inside my body. Atoms are constantly broken down and rearranged. Feces and decaying bodies to new fertile earth, fertile earth to plants (fruits and vegetables), plants to parts of the body of the eater and even the body of the eater ends up as food themselves like beef, chicken etc which become part of the body of the eater (human) themselves.

Often atoms are even rearranged to new living beings.

It puts me at a strange kind of ease that nothing will last forever except the cycle we're trapped in. Even if the earth blows up, your atoms will only rearrange (maybe to create a new star).

But not even too sure about that because maybe some day the whole universe will be building a giant stable mass of atoms attached to each other, so that there won't be any rearrangements of atoms anymore.

Am I kind of crazy or are all of the other human I live side by side with just kind of dumb and oblivious?
>>
>>17254140
>Feces and decaying bodies to new fertile earth, fertile earth to plants
Of course this is oversimplified for explaining purposes. Because you even could end up being pressed to some kind of oil which human from the future will use to fuel their transportation devices with.
Or you could even end up just as part of the composition of the planet (see dinosaur bones).
>>
"I once knew a guy, obsessed with the afterlife
Oh what a terrible day that was, he realized he'd wasted all his time
Time was ticking by, and he'd been left behind
And as the clock tick-tocked his heart did stop and everything he had was fucked"
>>
>>17252054
The "long" period of time you'd suffer is even less than an eye blink in the universe.
>>
>>17251847
Funny you are afraid to die, because I am terrified at being alive.
>>
By dying.
>>
Why do you fear it?

I'm not trying to be edgy, but I've repeatedly been in dangerous situations and never felt any fear. I'm not a brave person, I almost shit my pants while watching/playing horror movies/games. But the idea of dying, even in dangerous situations, seems so abstract to me that I can't fear death. It's like "what the fuck, I'm not destined to die in a place like this".
>>
>>17255679
Is destiny an abstraction in of itself?
>>
>>17251847
There's a really easy way to stop being scared of dying, and that's getting old.
>>
Become suicidal
>>
slightly over dramatic video but it gets the point across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1BJkBJdtY
>>
>>17255964
pretty much this, the older you get and the more accomplished you feel and contentedness with your life, the easier it's going to be to accept your death. One of the reasons so many people go through midlife crisis, they're trying to make sure they don't have any regrets otherwise coming to terms with dying is a lot harder.
>>
>>17251847
Have nothing to live for
>>
Just reason your way through it, go through the process.

Either you are afraid to die, or you are not.

It is also related to:

Either you don't, or you do like life.

If you don't like life, then death may be an improvement.

You may also consider whether believe in God.

If you don't believe in God, and don't like life, then eternal blackness, eternal non-existence really doesn't matter since you wouldn't experience anything.

If you don't like life, and do believe in God, then you could actually look forward to death since it would be and improved existence.

Now, if you do like life, and are just scared of death, quit thinking about it. Look around for something fun and interesting, go out and have some fun. Get a girlfriend, get a nice car, help some people, be an outstanding citizen and be nice to everyone. If you are good, then you have nothing to fear. For the worst that could happen would be non-existence, and the best could be a beautiful transition into a new world.

Fear of death is just lack of reasoning.
>>
>>17251847
Stop being conceited.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.