[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing up a contract
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: b5.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
b5.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
I want to get my friend to sign a contract that she'll pay me back the £500 that loaned her. Can I write one up myself, like just some conditions, and get get her to sign it? And do I need a witness to make it legal?
>>
where I live a verbal agreement is legally binding, if she didn't pay you back you could take her to civil court. Depends where you are I guess.
>>
>>17251287
I doubt I could actually win a case for a verbal agreement since we discussed it in private
>>
>>17251287
Where do you live? I have never heard of a verbal agreement being legally binding. It's completely unenforceable if there's no tangible proof.
>>
register it
>>
>>17251282
Google "promissory note" for sample forms. You don't need witnesses - just be sure she uses her real signature and you both have a copy.

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." - - Samuel Goldwyn
>>
>>17251325
Scots' law. Yeah, it really is one person's word against another if it gets to court.
>>
Why on earth would she sign this?

It's too late to protect yourself. You'll just have to wait and see if your initial hunch that she was trustworthy was accurate.
>>
You might also need a noteary to witness and document the signing
>>
>>17252291
>I don't know anything about contract law and I'm talking out of my ass
>>
File: image.png (251 KB, 599x519) Image search: [Google]
image.png
251 KB, 599x519
>>17251282
I new this picture would come in handy.
>>
The mere fact that you want a legal document shows that you don't really trust in that she really WILL pay you back.

Also this
>>17252284

I'd rather say it's too late and you should see this as a lesson - something to remind you to think twice before you do something like this again.
>>
>>17251282
Yes mate, you can do that. Just write it out and get her to sign it, no need for a witness. It's not going to be legally binding in the same way that something like an overdraft agreement would be, but if it gets to the point where you have to take her to the small claims court, having a piece of paper that she's signed agreeing to pay the money back will be enough to tip it in your favour.

It does seem a bit extreme though. I think if one of my mates needed five hundred quid I'd be more concerned about their welfare than whether or not I ended up a bit out of pocket. Or rather, if someone who I felt was close enough to me that I'd actually give them the money then. If it was one of those blokes you've been talking to in the pub for years but still don't know what their real name is I just wouldn't give him the money in the first place.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.