[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Motivation and discipline
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 13504.jpg (330 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
13504.jpg
330 KB, 800x680
I have a massive motivation/discipline problem that has become so bad that I basically spend every waking moment wasting time until I go back to sleep. I have so many skills that I'd like to learn and work on every day but I just don't even try anymore.

It's slowly killing me and I can feel myself becoming stupider by the day as a result of literally doing nothing but wasting time and drinking in order to speed up time.

Can anyone help me and give advice regarding how to actually start doing things and stop wasting away.
>>
>>17248208

There is no advice besides "just do it now." With that in mind, start whatever you want to be doing right fucking now. If you can't decide, post a list and I will decide for you.

For the next 3 hours, report to me every 30 mins on what you got done.

Go. Now.
>>
>>17248208
Think about what your life is going to be like at rock bottom, because that's where it's going to be soon if you don't get going.

What are you wasting your time with? I think the best way to stop yourself from wasting time is to completely remove yourself from what you're wasting time with.
>>
File: painVsActivity.png (17 KB, 982x501) Image search: [Google]
painVsActivity.png
17 KB, 982x501
>>17248226

What this anon is saying is the "remove all negative" influences first strategy. Basically, two things comes into play here:

1. Not doing anything is easier than doing something, so it's a decent first step.
2. Look at chart - when you go from being bored to working, it's not nearly as painful as going from fun to working, so again, it's breaking up a difficult task into two easier steps.

There are a few problems with this approach:

1. Don't see results nearly as fast.
2. Lose all motivation to be alive.

It's still a decent strategy though.

But you aren't going to do shit, are you?
>>
get a job
you will do what you really want to in your off time and not feel guilty when you are saving money
>>
>>17248224
"Do it now" is, I would imagine, the same kind of advice as "just stop drinking" to an alcoholic.

My problem is that I simply don't. I literally haven't done a single productive thing in weeks.

>>17248226
I mainly waste time on the internet, with video games and/or through drinking. I've tried to block myself from these things but at best it works for a day before I revert back.

>>17248245
I want to and I have to because it's stopping me doing everything that I'd like to do. If I don't I'm fucked.
>>
>>17248309

>"Do it now" is, I would imagine, the same kind of advice as "just stop drinking" to an alcoholic.

>My problem is that I simply don't. I literally haven't done a single productive thing in weeks.

I understand that. I have thought about the problem for a LONG time though - read stuff on it, talked to people, shitposted in these threads, etc.

I just don't think there is any sort of way besides "form habits." And guess what forming habits comes back to? Starting it, and doing it for some time.

Honestly - unless you get some disproportionate reward or someone is going to put a gun to your head, there is very little that can help you.

The only thing you can do right now is on type up a list of shit you could do today and long term goals and post it here. Take the fucking step.
>>
Pick a time of day. Every day at that time no matter what get up and sprint as fast as you can around your house for a bit. This gives you runner's high and some motivation. Now sit down and do whatever you wanted to do for a short time (don't try to do it for too long at first). Keep doing this every day until it's a habit, and slowly increase the amount of time you do your activity for.

>and so advises the lazy, unmotivated faggot who can't get anything done
>>
Op, are you studying or a neet?
If studying then listen to other anons and get shit done.
If a neet then go for a simple job like retail, at least you'll have some money.

If you struggle so much and have no goals in life:
You may switch to leisure but more meaningful tasks like sports, drawing, writing, baking, something fruitful.

If you are good at gaming try to review games or get into cybersport.

Real tip: Try to remind yourself what real-life achievements you had and try to make more.
Then raise the difficulty level.
Get inspired.
We will all die some time in the future, try to show that you existed. We are finite.
>>
>>17248319
>And guess what forming habits comes back to? Starting it, and doing it for some time.
Simple but true I suppose. Do you have any practical advice then such as >>17248333? Anything to make keep me focused on not slipping back to doing nothing is what I need.

>>17248354
I'm a student but only just. This chronic laziness has basically meant that I don't go to most of my lectures, I do my work at the last possible second and do it badly as a result and that I barely study for exams at all. Aside from doing the bare minimum to ensure that I don't get kicked out, I spend all of my time in my room, wasting time (and occasionally playing guitar but not actually practising to improve).
>>
>>17248404

If you are going to do what he recommended, it needs to be something like this:

1. Wake up.
2. Run.
3. Shower.
4. Eat a meal (I eat the same thing every morning because that way I don't spend time wondering what to cook. Your goal is to make it as easy as possible, so you don't spend time thinking about routine tasks. Decision making dwindles down willpower).
4. Do something useful for an hour (in your case, this would be homework or studying).

If you have class early in the morning, then all or part of it moves to after class.

The main points are:

1. Do something useful before your distractions are even available ( don't even turn computer on if you can study from a book).

2. Be prepared to do the work so getting ready for it doesn't take effort - have your books ready, have clean desk, etc.

I keep a simple printed calendar on my wall and mark what I did that day on it:

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/create.html

I have tried (and written) goal tracking apps, but they are mostly a waste of time imo. Only keep track of the most important thing for the day. For example, if your main goal is to study 2 hrs, just write down how many hours you studied that day.

I feel like this was overly convoluted - it all comes back to the basics though.
>>
>>17248404
Oh, then i am in a kinda same boat.
Got kicked out, because of web surfing, trying to retaliate.
Currently failed my first exam, so try decently preparing for the next, don't want to get kicked out again.

Dropping out of college AND acing some subjects helped me to understand:
>i actually can study if i want
>my ego would drown itself in a lake if i drop out again
>my parents will cry and lose hope in me forever
>i'll lose hope in myself forever
>relationship issues is a bad excuse

Anon, maybe you are unhappy with your college then? If so then maybe you need some time to think what you want to do with your life?
If you like your degree and it's hard, it may be some fear of failure thing.
There's some joke like "i don't study for tests, because if i pass i'm goddamn smart and if i don't, no wonder, i didn't study"
It sounds like a win-win for self-esteem but it is a really bad habit.
When you feel less agitated, pick something and try your best at doing it. If you make it and get a sense of accomplishment it'd be easier to make other tasks.

Those habit and time tracking schedule stuff never worked for me.
However, having an impression on how long do certain tasks take you, make homework appear less intimidating. You also will feel less tempted to procrastinate to the last possible minute.
I remember being really diligent at school and simple rule "work then play" was more than enough.

Try to sit 30-60 minutes doing a single task without interruptions and if you succeed, reward yourself with a tasty snack, buy something small that you like, anything NOT time-consuming.
Rewarding with video game or web browsing time didn't work for me.

>if you ask my college is real hard and i can say i study diligently it simply isn't good enough yet.
>>
>>17248508

>There's some joke like "i don't study for tests, because if i pass i'm goddamn smart and if i don't, no wonder, i didn't study"
>It sounds like a win-win for self-esteem but it is a really bad habit.

Very key point. Someone summarized it really well a long time ago, but I didn't save. Regret to this day.
>>
Hello I need a study method where I can learn better , someone help me?
I want to study medicine but the proof is difficult and I am bad at math
>>
>>17248522
Tomato timer/Pomodero technique
>>
>>17248527

lol, I love how people say "Pomodero Technique" like it's some sort of advanced complicated super efficient secret method.

Also, it's not a long enough interval for any real material.
>>
>>17248533
nah it helps, ts good for starting off with. Im in the same position as the anons here but if they use it it'll get them in the right mind set. It helped me a bit while studying though I'm still in the same boat as them.
>>
>>17248442
I'll give these a go, thanks. I'll have to think about how I'm going to avoid my main distraction (the computer) though. I can do all the main things I need to do without the internet as long as I prepare in advance but it's not as if I can shut it off completely as I live with other people.

>>17248508
I like what I'm studying even though I have no idea what to do afterwards. My course isn't necessarily a priority for me though, if anything, the thought of putting work into hobbies and really getting good at them is what's driving me to want to be less of a useless piece of shit.

>"i don't study for tests, because if i pass i'm goddamn smart and if i don't, no wonder, i didn't study"
This is probably how my attitude to work in general started but now it really is just a matter of laziness and ingrained awful habits. I'm sure that fear of failure will be a huge factor in building good work habits though and I am unfortunately a bit of a perfectionist.
>>
>>17248571
>I like what I'm studying even though I have no idea what to do afterwards. My course isn't necessarily a priority for me though, if anything, the thought of putting work into hobbies and really getting good at them is what's driving me to want to be less of a useless piece of shit

Can relate anon, this shit is killing me too. Work/Study there's repercussions for not getting stuff done (I.E. failing a test) so I procrastinate until the last moment and then still do it. But with hobbies, there're no deadlines so I just keep procrastinating on them indrfinitely :(
>>
>>17248527
Maybe I haven't given it a fair try but the strictness of the pomodero method just doesn't seem to go well with the way I work.
>>
>>17249015
It's not for everyone but it really helped me get started on stuff.
>>
Remember, will power is not on call all the time, you have a limited amount for the day. Work on the most important thing that will get you forward first until it becomes a habit, where you dont have to put much effort to get yourself to do it, and then work on the next one. Good luck Anon.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.