[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>dad had job in finance/insurance >makes >100k a year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1465170932724.png (232 KB, 718x369) Image search: [Google]
1465170932724.png
232 KB, 718x369
>dad had job in finance/insurance
>makes >100k a year
>2008 hits
>let go of job
>we keep our house/other expensive loans
>his credit gets bad
>employers don't want to hire finance people with bad credit
>2016
>he's worked as a car salesman for two years
>looking for job again
Any job suggestions for a finance guy with lots of experience but bad credit?
>>
>>17248199
Healthcare. Always a strong need for people with insurance and finance backgrounds. Your dad could probably stand to update his skillset. He should look into getting a CPC and the CRC certification within the next few years. Professional coders and risk coders are highly saught after . He'd have to study though as its new stuff and the cpc is a very hard test.
>>
>>17248216
Thanks, so let me get the information straight.
He would have to take a few difficult classes for one to two years, but then would be qualified to work as a professional/risk coder?
>>
>>17248216
>>17248281

I glanced over the certification description and I don't really understand what is is. Explain to me.

@OP: Do you know what he actually did in finance?

Sounds like he was a salesman, right?

So try go go back to Series 6/7/63 jobs / "Account Executive" jobs at Fidelity, Schwabb, etc.

They are competitive as fuck though and about who you know.

Of course, those two companies check credit...
>>
>Medical coding is the transformation of healthcare diagnosis, procedures, medical services, and equipment into universal medical alphanumeric codes. The diagnoses and procedure codes are taken from medical record documentation, such as transcription of physician's notes, laboratory and radiologic results, etc. Medical coding professionals help ensure the codes are applied correctly during the medical billing process, which includes abstracting the information from documentation, assigning the appropriate codes, and creating a claim to be paid by insurance carriers.

This sounds like clerk work.
>>
>>17248290
yeah he was an insurance salesman that bounced around a few companies
>allstate
>pacific life
>ing
and now he makes nothing working for bmw and doing uber on the side
>>
>>17248311

He needs to dump assets. I have seen people trying to maintain shit they can't afford, and it's nothing but stress and problems. Of course, there is an ego aspect there, but I recommend getting over it.

Do you know how much he makes? Even entry level finance jobs pay $40,000 ("Financial Representative" doing basic service bullshit.). Honestly his steps are:

1. Dump assets/liabilities (e.g. move into a more affordable house).
2. Get bullshit finance jobs making $40,000.
3. Have no life and study for CFP (not that hard)
4. Try to get "real" finance salesman job, e.g. account executive.

All this is far easier said than done, and #4 is actually pretty unlikely unless a LOT of shit goes right.

There are other routes, but they require years of re-education (3+) and a ridiculous amount of effort.

As for you, better make sure you get a scholarship. Doubt you can help your dad, and I am not saying that just to be a dick.
>>
>>17248298
Having the cpc and crc does not mean you do only medical coding. For OPs dad's purposes, his dad , due to his understanding of finance and with the cpc crc would be a valuable asset for any healthcare insurance company out there. More so for those that engage in risk based performance for medicare patient populations. The cpc and crc basically is there to say "I know the inner working shit of billing and coding and know how to correct your methidology so the government will pay you more to manage these health care issues for these patients'.

Doctors, nurses, analysts, programmers, health care plan reps....anyone who has their cpc and crc is basically the go-to guy or gal to make shit work the right way.

The cpc and crc for your dad, OP, also serves amother purpose, it's to get his mindset ready to learn a new skill in a new industry/sector. Auto sales and uber driving will have dulled his edge and made him feel less relevant. Learning a new skillset, getting credentials, and entering into a new workforce will boost his self confidence.

Also, working in the healthcare insurance industry means that your family will get some pretty good benefits. Once you have your foot in with health insurance, really a lot of doors will open in the medical field...and it's always hiring
>>
>>17248341
Thanks for the advice man, ill save it to my desktop.
I'm studying statistics right now with no scholarship.
I have to go to work now but ill monitor this thread every hour or so
>>
>>17248356

I don't disagree with you that medical is huge right now, but I still don't see how it applies to OP's dad's situation.

He is not a financial analyst/statistician, he is a salesman. I am not saying that to be insulting, I know people doing what OP's dad was going for and making $250,000. I just don't think what you are suggesting would work well with his skillset. I am not saying that to shit on you - it's definitely good to have more perspectives, just my .05 on it.

>Doctors, nurses, analysts, programmers, health care plan reps....anyone who has their cpc and crc is basically the go-to guy or gal to make shit work the right way.

I can't imagine a programmer taking the time to get this cert. Jobs are plentiful and I doubt it boosts pay since programmers generally work with field experts to implement what they say. I am actually arguing with you because I am wondering if you could be right.

>>17248357

Np, stats is good, but you will need the actuarial exams to go with it.
>>
>>17248363
Cpc and crc for programmers are a crazy hot thing right now on the world of healthcare data management and healthcare analytics. Programmers with this knowledge are typically team leads for the big rat race right now which is to build the platform that makes office hospital interconnectivity seamless. Right now, there's a huge disconnect in sharing healthcare data. It's just not done.

For a programmer with cpc crc, you're going to be someone who is doing big data trend analysis, developing end user tools for better data capture so that the doctors , hospitals, and health plans get paid more (through better medical coding), and designing enterprise level EHR/EMRs. Healthcare analytics is crazy hot right now
>>
>>17248311
Cpc crc anon here again. Didn't see this post. CFP and CRA would be strong certs for dad to take a shot at.
>>
>>17248380

> Programmers with this knowledge are typically team leads for the big rat race right now which is to build the platform that makes office hospital interconnectivity seamless.

I know people doing EXACTLY this for Siemens and none of them have it. The thing is - to be a programming team lead, you need to be a good programmer first and foremost.

What happens in the real world (in my experience) is a CPC/CRC (or whatever expert) would get attached to the team and write logic scenarios for the team to implement, and wouldn't get paid much for it.

> For a programmer with cpc crc, you're going to be someone who is doing big data trend analysis

The only people doing big data analysis are stats phds and people who passed the actuarial exams mentioned earlier.

>developing end user tools for better data capture so that the doctors

This is just a front end/mobile grind (so angularJs and/or Xamarin/etc for mobile).

> Healthcare analytics is crazy hot right now

This is a fact. But I STILL don't think it would tie in with other jobs well.

Oh well, maybe I will look into it more. Sounds interesting.

Can I ask what it did for you? Because it sounds like you have it or know someone who has it.

It would just be a downer to spend a year on something random and not have it boost your income by $20,000+
>>
>>17248390
Medical analyst. Cpc and crc combined. I work in risk/performance based medicare contracts between health plans, physicians, and CMS. Patient population data generates about 15mil a year in costs with the company I work with.

The certs for me yielded 15k increase in pay from my base salary and allowed me to rise through the various departments I was in. I also have the saftey net of knowing that i could find an equal paying job within a month if i ever lost mine fir whatwver reason because of the certificationsn i have.

I'm not a programmer, so I won't pretend to know if the cpc crc is an iron clad surefire way to boost your earning potential, but you have a lot if doors open to you when you have it. Healthcare data and it's respective field is a huge hot button area right now. A lot of the growing companies that are lucrative are started by programmets with these certs. But, it could be fish in a bubble mentality I'm working with.
>>
>>17248199
>Any job suggestions for a finance guy with lots of experience but bad credit?
Make better choices? Stop spending money you don't have?
>>
>>17248421

> But, it could be fish in a bubble mentality I'm working with.

Maybe, maybe not. Good to get perspectives from different bubbles - this is the type of conversation I come here for.
>>
>>17248446
When you drink bleach, take a video.
>>
>>17248491

Are you ever going to tell me why your panties are in a bunch?

Like, I am genuinely curious.

Do you remember something from months ago, or was it today? Tell us anon-kun.
>>
>>17248502
Not that guy, but I think it just that you're a docuhebag who give dick tier advice.
>>
>>17248519

Be specific. This is /adv/ after all.
>>
>>17248502
If you didn't use a tripcode, you wouldn't have all these problems desu baka senpai.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.