[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am severely behind in every aspect of life. I didn't go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: images_0.jpg (7 KB, 208x242) Image search: [Google]
images_0.jpg
7 KB, 208x242
I am severely behind in every aspect of life. I didn't go to college when I was 18 and now I am 23 years old with 33 credit hours. I wont be able to get a 4 year degree until I'm 27/28.
Is there a problem with this? Is it even worth trying to become a computer programmer now that my life is halfway over?
Is it worth even going to college at this point?
>>
Stop crying for help

You're alone in the dark

Spring was Winter, and shall always become summer. You know this.
>>
>>17247893
>my life is halfway over
You planning on dying at 46?
I mean, what's your alternative?
>>
Bro, let me talk to you for a bit.
I'm 26 and just yesterday I handed in my final Fashion Design exam (inb4 gay, I am). Got approved, I graduate in a couple months. My Uni is one of the top 3 in my country and has an absurdly high dropout rate due to how complex the fashion course is.

I come from a weird family, was always a shitty student. Dropped out of highschool due to parent's divorce (it was violent and involved the police and a murder attempt, I shit you not). Spent 3 years partying, doing coke and getting in and out of awful relationships.

The day I decided I didn't want to throw my life away anymore (jk I just wanted a shitload of cash so knew I needed a career) I enrolled. I thought I was gonna be the oldest in my class, but to my surprise:
>Class started with over 40 students
>Now we have 27, the rest dropped out
>4 of those insta-failed the final exam
>2 gave up last week
>Out of the rest, I'm the second youngest, and I'm 26. The oldest is 43 and owns a company already. The second oldest is 39.
Now, remember I said I dropped out of highschool? My overall grade for the whole uni course is 9.12 out of 10. Second best is 8.3 out of 10. Class average is around a low 7.something. I'm the class representative, have 3 published scientific articles, 2 more on the way. Got a dream job offer last week.

I'm sorry if this was way too long of a post, but my point is... I, a flaming coke-addicted faggot, am making it. I'm older than you. I have a fucked up family story. None of this was an excuse to not say "fuck it" and just give it a try. The biggest blessing one can have in life is to be hopeless, because then, all matters become null and you stop caring. You already have a huge no if you don't try. If you try and fail, you remain with the no you already have, no biggie. But what if you suceed?
>>
>>17247965
>all this humblebragging disguised as advice
>>
>>17247893
Professor writing here.

Look around you. College is not just for 18 year olds anymore. Just about every university has 25 to 50% students your age or older (and in my experience they tend to be the best).

And that means that employers are meeting almost as many new grads in their late 20s as at 22, so they don't see that as odd or a red flag or anything bad. (If anything, it implies more maturity and motivation than the 22 year olds).

Look at it this way. Suppose you get your degree at 28. How old would you be then if you didn't get your degree?
>>
It's not like you're going to get younger by crying about it, if you feel like time is of the essence try finishing earlier but if yiu want that degree not starting it will not get you there faster than starting it
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.