[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a red flag?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1
File: red flag.jpg (20 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
red flag.jpg
20 KB, 500x333
>Wants to meet guy I've talked to online for two years when traveling abroad in his area
>Have seen his on video skype and his photo with his name appears on the site of the Facebook page of a chess organisation with no official website
>He said he said he wants to ask his brother to come along as his brother knows more about the tourist attractions in the area (major related to this)
>I later discovered that he still had not told his brother about the meeting a month later (but then he was having his finals)
>Confronted him about this
>He said it was because he thinks that his family will distrust me and think that he is dating me and he doesn't want that
>I continued talking to him
>He finished his final exams recently and he told his brother about our meeting yesterday
>His brother was very ok with it
Is this a red flag?Also, should I tell my parents of our meeting? Best to stay safe.
>>
>>17247888
The whole thing is a red flag. Why did he invite his brother? Now it's two people you don't actually know and then you. Don't be surpassed of you go meet them and get held down, raped, then beaten or killed, or both.
>>
>>17247888
German anon is that you again?
>>
>>17247935
>Why did he invite his brother?
He said his brother knows more about the historical areas (he is a History major). He said his brother was interested in History since we have met. Back then, we have no plans to meet (we live in different continents). It must have been a very elaborate lie then.
Well, he can invite other people to come without my knowledge as well.
>>
>>17247941
Yeah
What are your thoughts on this? Reddit calls me gullible
>inb4 Reddit is terrible
>>
>>17247946
Didn't you say he didn't want to meet up because his family is conservative? I think you should just leave it, if it's worrying you this much. You could always meet up with them in a very, very public place, and go from there. If you get a bad feeling, you can bail. Don't go anywhere private with them.
>>
>>17247942
Why does he need a historical expert for the place he lives. Also numerous excuses for the same thing doesn't always mean it's an elaborate lie. He could be telling the truth but if he is lying it's not very convincing to me. If be careful. Actually I wouldn't do it at all but it sounds like you've made up your mind. I hope for your sake your dead body doesn't make the headlines, and remember; Most people who say "Oh it won't happen to me" are usually wrong.
>>
>>17247946
As long as you stay on public places you'll be OK. Just don't let them take you to private places and tell your family about your plans and let them know your family knows what your doing over there.
It'll be fine, not everyone out there is a serial rapist murderer.
>>
>>17247952
Yes his family is a very conservative Hispanic family. Reddit says he is probably using this as an excuse though saying stuff like "I bet you've never seen one of those movies where a girl was raped".
He says his brother turns out to be very excited about this. Reddit says he is probably lying all along and says that I have been blinded by my eagerness to meet him. They say that he says that his family will distrust me so that I will think the same and not tell my family and not confirming our meeting is him playing hard-to-get and it will cause me to want to meet him more.
>>
>>17247954
He lives in a small town. He says he doesn't really go to the historical places himself. He says his brother is a better tour guide. I had doubts about this but my irl friend thought it was nice of him to invite his brother.
>>17247956
A guy in this thread said that it is dangerous though.
What if my parents say no and do not let me meet him? Maybe they are right?
>>
>>17247956
Okay, but how is OP going to get around? Walking? Public transport? That dude and his brother's car (yeah good luck with that when you don't have control of where you're going)? The whole thing is fishy, especially when his brother came into the equation. OP doesn't even know this guy. His "brother" could just be one of his friends, or he could actually have a brother, but how do you know he's a history major? Why is he so excited to meet you? Why has he only been interested in history since they met (aince that's what OP said)? And let's say he is a History major. He knows more about the area than OP which means he knows where to go to be isolated from the public. To me it sounds like a clear cut case of being set up for something bad.
>>
>>17247958
Did you post this to /r/relationships? Their first reaction to all relationship troubles is to break up with them immediately. Not really the best advice. Why did they say meeting up in public was a bad idea? I think it's fine. Again, if you meet them and immediately feel something is off, you can easily leave or scream for help. Meet in a cafe or something. Tell people that you're meeting up with them in case something goes awry. It's good to be somewhat skeptical IMO, but not all people on the Internet are bad.
>>
>>17247985
>Lives in a small town
>Has to have a historical guide who just so happens to be his brother
>Hasn't learned anything about his town from his school or his brother

Have you really sat down and thought this through?
>>
>>17247994
No private places. Means no cars. It'll be OK you paranoid mob. How do you think girl backpack travelers get by? You think the vast majority of them end up getting murdered in some dark alley?
>>
>>17247994
His brother likes anime, video games, history, mythology, other cultures, and some other stuff
Yeah I was worried about that too, but /trv/ called me paranoid:
http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/1101972/#1101972
>>
>>17247995
Yes I picked that board
Even my irl finds it fishy though. Like how he keeps on delaying tellling his brother about me instead of making plans for the itnierary
>>
>>17248004
>Comparing travellers to someone meeting a long distance boyfriend who is bringing someone with

I don't think you understand that if these guys have bad intentions its two against one on their home turf. I sincerely hope that they are good guys who happen to be OP's bf and his history major brother, but something can go wrong in an instant, and in a matter of minutes OP could be gagged, tied up, and thrown in the trunk of a car. I think a bit more care should be taken than just "I'll keep my eye out", especially since this is happening in a country foreign to OP. At the very least OP should bring a switchblade or something to protect herself. Just because you scream "help" doesn't mean people who heard will come.
>>
>>17247998
Well he briefly said he is uneasy about guiding us around
>>
I'm not an expert, but I can confirm that you posted an image of a red flag.
>>
>>17248022
Could you ask him not to bring his brother? Say you'd like to get to know him better or some other excuse? I don't think it would be a rude request, would it?
>>
>>17248018
He can say whatever he wants to get you more comfortable. If he has bad intentions he's not going to reveal that to until its too late. You keep saying that Your URL friends and other online find it fine but yourself find it fishy. Why do you think its fishy and why are you trying to ignore those feelings? I'm not saying their intentions are bad but you have to think critically and use your better judgment, which you're clearly trying to ignore.
>>
>>17248026
He is not my bf. I confronted him and he said he never though about me romantically (can't confirm if he is lying or not of course)
>>17248026
Even of he doesn't mention his brother, he can bring other guys along without me knowing in advance
>>17248035
He can just bring him along without my permission. Or a whole gang for goodness sake.
>>17248059
If I didn't find it fishy, I woull not have created this thread
>>
>>17248110
I don't think any of us, or anyone else can convince you that this isn't super fishy. I would just put it off, anon. You guys can always meet up in the future. I met my online friend in real life after taking to him for 8 years.
>>
You are absolutely nutters.
its obvious why he doesnt want to meet you.
He's probably read these desparate threads, you admittedly spam them everywhere.

/adv/
/trv/
reddit

sage
>>
>>17248110
>Not my bf
Doesn't matter to him

>He can always bring someone else
I already said this in a previous post. His "brother" could not even be related to them.

>If I didn't find it fishy I wouldn't have made this thread
Obviously not true, otherwise you wouldn't have countered everything I've said so far with "b-but this person said its sweet! B-but this board said I'm being paranoid!"

It's fishy. That's all there is to it. I've asked you numerous question to which you haven't really responded to any. I don't think you're actually worried because if you were you wouldn't do it. Being abducted in a different country isn't like being abducted in your home country. You're obviously going to roll the dice on this so all I can say is take >>17248035 's advice and for fuck's sake bring something to defend youself when you inevitably decided to meet them.
>>
>>17248121
Everyone here said it is creepy
>>17248118
Really? I am just very curious as to discover what he is really like. How did you know you were not catfished?
>>
>>17248132
Seems unlikely that a creep will talk to a girl in another continent for two years without getting anything sexual in return. Why not just meet girls locally on Tinder or hook up with chicks at bars?
>>
>>17248228
Whose to say he doesn't do that as well? That's very poor logic considering you can't do something when someone when they're more than miles away. Once you're able to meet each other IRL its a whole different story, besides it sounds like OP doesn't even know this guy well after two years if she's saying things like
>Really? I am just very curious as to discover what he is really like.

People are psycho, you never really know them. Sometime you don't want to. In the end OP is going to go meet them anyway, and again, I hope for her sake I'm wrong, but this isn't the same as travelling a few hours to meet a pinpal. OP is going across borders to a different country, a different government, a whole different environment, and putting her life and trust into the hands of a guy she's known for two years and his "brother" who was just recently added to the equation. You'd be a fool not to take extra precautions.
>>
>>17248244
>not to take extra precautions.
What precautions then?
>>
>>17248244
Anyway that was me the OP. I mean, I wanted to meet him to turn an online relationship into an irl one
>>
>>17248255
Bringing a friend of your own, bringing pepper spray, a knife, a small handgun, make sure you have the authorities in speed dial and your phone's GPS location on, those are just off the top of my head. It sounds like paranoia but you can't just rule out the possibility that these people aren't actually trustworthy.
>>
>>17247888
Are you the Hong Kong girl?

I've seen you on Reddit. Holy shit you are deliciously neurotic. I would love to fuck you. I mean really. It's a shame this little Spanish kid is going to get to you before anyone else. Can you guys imagine the neurotic sex these two are going to have? Oh my goddddddddd.
>>
>>17248278
I know I will
I have other safety precautions but I will not list them here in case he sees it.
Tbh I am not even German and he is not in the States. Didn't say our location in case he finds our thread in archive. Guns are not legal there
You would cancel the meeting and stop talking to him if you were me, right?
>>
>>17248287
Please stop looking for ways to derail this.
>>
>>17248288
What?
>>
>>17248287
If I were you I'd meet him on your terms. Not his. Not with his brother, not in his hometown, and definitely not in your own.
>>
>>17248286
>deliciously neurotic
Everyone here says it is a red flag?
>>
>>17248307
Well we are meeting in his province not exactly his hometown. I will definitely not visit his hometown! Nothing to see there!
>>
>>17248307
OK just made him agree with this
>>
>>17248310
You are living your life by the consensus of teenagers who have never seen a woman. You are looking for red flags, and describing your circumstances in such a way that people would go "well, obviously, those are red flags!" You are looking for a reason to derail this friendship. It's a form of self hate. Stop doing it.
>>
>>17248327
Everyone on Reddit finds it fishy?
One red flag= he is probably a creep
>>
>>17248317
>>17248321
Good, hope it works well with you and your friend anon. Didn't mean to sound like a crazy paranoid but you seem like a sweet girl, but also naive. I also advise that no matter where you are you still carry something like a knife or pepper spray to defend yourself. Women are naturally easier targets and most of them carry no means is self defense. Hope that you'll never have to use it, but have it and be ready if you ever do.
>>
>>17248334
You met him on the Internet. He's certainly a creep. The same can be said about you and the obsessive way you keep stating and restating your circumstances until strangers on the Internet agree that they could be problematic. Just meet him for fucks sake. Or second guess your life away and never have any friends. Live with the idea that you'll never make a decision on your own, and you'll surround yourself forever with negative people who will shit on anything you ask them that goes outside what they consider normal at the time, even when these people you're talking to are just going to find fault with you anyway, regardless of what actions you take.

Grow a fucking spine, or shut up and go live in a cave with your bitchy disapproving yente friends.
>>
>>17248343
Well he said he doesn't know the major city of his provincer well so he wants to bring his brother along. Still fishy?
>>
>>17248347
Yes. He keeps insisting about this "brother", making it two men against you if a situation were to arise. You said you're going there to study abroad right? Why doesn't he just tag along with your group?

Tell him if you guys ever meet again he can bring his brother.
>>
>>17248351
>Why doesn't he just tag along with your group?
We are staying behind in his area. Only me and two other girls happen to stay behind
>>
>>17248352
Then he should comfortable enough with you and two other girls. There's no excuse on his part at this point.
>>
>>17248359
So tell him not to bring his brother ?(or "brother"). Friend I know tells me to ask him for his brother's contact info and to Skype with them two
>>
>>17248360
You can do that, but here's the deal; Whether he sees you or not, you're there. If he wants to see you he will. If he's trying to lure you into something he's going to keep making excuses to keep this sketchy sounding original plan. In the end your there to learn, not for him. He needs to understand that and conform his time around you, especially since this is his home country and you're there for school.

(Also I will be busy for the next few hours, If this thread is still up after work or if I have time throughout the day I'll check back in.)
>>
>>17247888
> Should I tell my parents?
Should you tell people who care about you where/when/who/why you'll be meeting with strangers in a foreign land?
Srsly that you're even considering not telling them makes me want to tell you to not go at all.
It'll definitely be safer, and no better than you know this guy it's strait 50/50 that he has ulterior motives.
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt on most things, but there's a point where you have to consider the potential consequences if you are betrayed. This is one of those situations. The risk involved far out weighs the reward.
If you had people you could bring with you that would be different; people you know personally (and, lets be real, one of them should probably be a guy). However, 2 strangers vs 1 you in unfamiliar territory is not somewhere you want to end up.
50/50 that you get mugged/murdered/raped? Not worth keeping one online acquaintance. If he takes it personally he's naive (and it would a pear as such based on his behavior thus far), but if he's got half a brain he should understand.

Plus the whole thing sounds sketchy as fuck.
>>
>>17248402
I will bring two travel companions along. Unfortunately both girls who choose to stay behind are female
He sent me pic and vid of his identification card when I confronted him about this. Can I know if they are legit?
>>
>>17248434
None of that shit matters. If he can't come to you while you're studying abroad without someone else, or just come to you in general then he's already revealed how sketchy of a person he actually is. Again, you're there for school, not for him. The way he's going about this is a for sure sign that he has some sinister alterior motives. If he can't meet you in the province you're staying at, at a public setting ALONE (with the exception of your other classmates, NOT his friends, or "brother"), then you should do the whole plan and focus on what you're supposed to be focused on in the first place.
>>
>>17248448
>>17248402
>>17248434
Why don't you just ask him to come visit you at the school? Don't go anywhere with him after or anything, but yall just want to get together to say hi why don't just do it at/with the school?
>>
>>17248402
Oh my fuck.

Do you ever go on dates? Holy shit.
>>
>>17248493
Going on a date in your home town with someone you met before is in no way comparable to going to a meet up with two strangers in a foreign country.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.