[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to deal with a shit-tier colleague?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1464551404132.jpg (60 KB, 693x663) Image search: [Google]
1464551404132.jpg
60 KB, 693x663
I'll greentext is because it's easier

>join cool software company 6 months ago
>be in team of 8 people
>they are all really effective, knowledgeable as fuck and chill, i'm very impressed
>2 months ago new guy is hired in our team
>he is probably around 10 years older than I am, yet he is at the same position as mine
>I'm paired with him for half of his tasks
>he is talking to me like he is my boss and has the right to command me to do stuff ("now do X for me", etc), to the point my colleagues have noticed that and are cringing
>90% of the stuff he is telling me to do are not the right way to do things at all (understandable because he is new), while I'm usually correct
>always talk about his previous job
>when asked to do a task, he is basically never doing it conscientiously. Like he will do it, then chill for 1 hour, whereas I'll monitor if everything is going alright, contacting the persons who should handle the follow up, etc
>he reproached me to "micro manage" him because I reminded him TWICE in a day if he could send a mail to our manager asking him questions about what we should do for project X. It'd have taken anyone 5 mins to write this stuff right away when we first discussed it and just send it, so we'd have the answer much sooner. But he wanted to write it, and went away for lunch.
>left to take a coffee break at the exact moment we had a urgent stuff to do, which left me alone fixing the problem (did it twice)
>apparently complained that he doesn't have ownership of some part of the projects on our team (as in, he is the main guy responsible for component X). However I don't think anyone has specific ownership of anything in our team and certainly not with that little time in the team.

So /adv/, what do I do?
This guys is annoying as fuck and he isn't good at all... should I tell my boss / colleagues about it ? I don't want to be seen as an asshole. However it's true that he is way below the general level of my team / company
>>
If he impacts your work in a negative way then you should absolutely report it to your boss. Avoid bitching to your other colleagues about him though as if word of this gets back to him/your boss it'll look real bad on you. I work with some absolute fucktards too so I know your pain brah,
>>
>>17247577
These people are toxic, speak to your nice colleagues and go with them (at least 3 - 4) to notice your boss with :

- Why you think he is making everyone's job harder

- Back it up with a LIST OF FACTS, suff that happened and which are relevant to your point.
>>
Do not listen to these faggots, they will lead you wrong. If he's as bad as you say he is and everyone else is as on top of their shit as you indicate, your bosses are aware that he's a problem. Right now, they're trying to mold him into something better as the costs of hiring him aren't cheap and if they can make him improve it's more cost effective than firing him. They'll probably give up at the year mark if he doesn't straighten up.

Meantime, you are being evaluated positively for putting up with a difficult coworker and for keeping an eye on your surroundings. Just grit your teeth and bear it, you'll be better off for it in the long run. Making an issue of it makes you look like someone who can't adapt when needed and doesn't work well with others.
>>
thanks guys for advice,
any other ones?
>>
>>17247577
>he is talking to me like he is my boss and has the right to command me to do stuff ("now do X for me", etc)
is telling him "you're not the boss of me" so fucking difficult?
>to the point my colleagues have noticed that and are cringing
they're cringing at how beta you are
>>
>>17248999
It's extremely easy to avoid stupid conflicts like this by just not saying this kind of stuff. This is how you lose jobs.
>>
>>17248999
Trips of truth.

Is it so hard to call him out on his shit?
>Say please and thank you young man

If you make it lighthearted and he escalates then it's no problem for you.
>>
>>17247679
This
>>
>>17249009
>It's extremely easy to avoid stupid conflicts like this by just not saying this kind of stuff
he isn't the one creating a conflict, his incompetent coworker who acts way outside the boundaries of his position is.
>This is how you lose jobs
if your job is so shitty you could lose it over pointing out a blatant misbehavior to somebody, you should resign anyway
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.