[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HELP HELP HELP!!! I left my iPod in my pants after I got done
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 260x194
HELP HELP HELP!!! I left my iPod in my pants after I got done skating and they went through the wash. I shed a tear when I pulled it out. That thing has been with me for 10+ years. Same one in the picture^. How do I dry it out??? Will it ever work again?
>>
>>17246692
try putting it in rice
>>
It's probably fucked op, sorry man
>>
>>17246692
How long has it been since it got wet in the wash? how much effort would you be willing to put in to try and rescue it?
>>
The original iPods had an actual spinning hard drive in them.

I don't think this one is coming back.
>>
OK, if it really went through the washing machine, what you should do first is wash it thoroughly with tap water to remove any detergent leftovers and clean anything that might cause a shortcircuit.

Dry the thing for 2 or 3 weeks with nothing more than ambient flowing air. Let the water evaporate instead of heating it up.

See if it charges and give it a good charge and fire it up.

I had my laptop under melting snow for days and let it dry also and when I turned it up it was making sparks and shortcircuiting the screen and everything... it would regularly happen every winter and the machine lasted over a decade before I burned the circuits by shortcircuiting them with an accidentally spilled drink filled with sugar (which is a great electrolyte) while watching a movie.
>>
>>17248127
Most of the advice here is good, but not the tap-water rinse. Use distilled water instead. It's a better solvent, and it doesn't conduct electricity.

What you want to do is immerse the iPod in a bath of distilled water for a week, changing the watsr every day. This should dissolve any remaining residues from the wash. THEN proceed with drying, just like the post says: let go for 2-3 weeks in a cool, dark place, and DO NOT use heat to speed anything up.
>>
>>17248188
>Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity!

...Until you pour it on something, and the salts on whatever you're pouring it onto dissolve into the distilled water, become polarized, and thus conductive.

Sort of tired of people thinking distilled water is magic. It's not.
>>
>>17248198
This is true as far as it goes, but the point behind using distilled water isn't so much that it's not conductive as that it doesn't leave conductive residue. Tap water can, depending on the source, and that, in turn, can cause a short circuit.

That's why I suggest seven days in a bath, changing the water daily. Ideally, the last couple of days shouldn't even pick anything up. They're just there to make sure.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.