[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be little me >grow up loving medieval fantasy. warhammer,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: childishgambino.png (349 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
childishgambino.png
349 KB, 500x500
>be little me
>grow up loving medieval fantasy. warhammer, warcraft, runescape, guild wars, lord of the rings
>i loved everything about it, was a little nerd.
>still listen to music from any of the above just to chill and relax
>even listen to folk/death metal from time to time.
>grow up some more
>realize every one of these things is well... medieval. it's european. White.
>I'm black

I'm self-conscious about it. I feel like some weird reverse-cuck weeaboo where I'm in love with all this fantasy shit but not only is it fantasy aka not real... it's fantasy that isn't intended 'for me'.

Make no mistake, I still love this shit but I question myself a lot. If there's some nerd-fantasy oriented meetup or event, I feel like I'd look like a confused fool, a black man with a lord of the rings t-shirt on. back when i was growing up i'd make gandalf nerd jokes with my friends and be outward with my nerdiness and not give a fuck. now I'm older and a lot more wiser to social cues and I just don't know if I can pull that off anymore.

i've met other blacks/non-whites who were into this stuff and they were all cool and chill and they seemed fine with themselves at least on the surface, the issue I'm having is just an internal struggle.

I feel like i shouldn't like all this european oriented stuff... but if I hear LOTR music from a friend's tv or I watch a WoW video on youtube, man, it feels so fucking good. Everything is amazing, the music, the aesthetic, the dramatic hero stories, everything.

Are my thoughts warranted? Is it OK to keep liking this 'white' stuff and just go on with my life? I feel like if I did the latter it'd just be the equivalent of sticking my head in the sand and ignoring the racial elephant in the room.
>>
>>17245895
That's your inner slave master great great great grandpa in you. It is alright.
>>
I don't know if this makes me a sjw or whatever but, your race has nothing to do with liking what you like.
Flaunt it or don't enjoy what you enjoy.
>>
>>17245895
>i have interests that aren't stereotypical

My class in highschool only had me and 2 other white kids. Im like 36% black (40% for college admission). Most of the people in the band were weebs and as a matter of fact they ran an anime club on friday. Just be yourself -- i spend time reading hindu books and watching Ramayan.
>>
>>17245895
Uh...What the fuck is the problem? If you compare with weebs, they like jap shit and are fucking cancer about it. There are people who like what they like without being cancer.

So all in all: You can like anything as anyone, as long as ur not cancer about it.
(Also, arent you fucking from a western country? Its fucking aimed at you, its not many but i know a fair amout of black guys into dnd and lotr)
>>
>>17245895
Take pride in the fact that white people are the master race, and you subconsciously identified with our culture. You may have a dark outside, but there is still a spark within.
>>
File: image.png (118 KB, 250x210) Image search: [Google]
image.png
118 KB, 250x210
One of the best fighters in my HEMA club is black.

Surprisingly the entire community is extremely liberal.

You should look into it anon.
>>
>>17246204
>HEMA
>liberal
Fuck this gay earth
>>
>>17246209
I was pretty surprised too, I've stood around and listened to instructors coming up with ways to get more "minorities" interested, so it wasn't so "lol white".

I think that people who are interested should join, we don't need quotas or anything like that.
>>
>>17245895

You're fine, dude. I can't understand how we all came to the conclusion that "cultural appropriation" is supposed to be a bad thing. You're not obligated to like things that were created by people who look like you. Just do what you enjoy, life's too short to overthink it like that.
>>
>>17246218
meme forced by upper middle class white girls in university, just for the sake of having something to be offended about/victimized by, since the status of victim gives you power in places that take privilege theory seriously. Just one more element of the feminist takeover of academia.
>>
>>17246218
Cultural appropriation kills culture, that's why, dolt
>>
>Is it OK to keep liking this 'white' stuff and just go on with my life?

As an Official White Guy, yes, it is okay for you to like our geeky fantasy and historical stuff.
>>
>>17246272
Idk bro he still has to pass the test
>>
>>17246262

No it doesn't. It exposes it to a wider audience, they might not interpret it in exactly the same way you do, but their "misuse" doesn't damage your own culture in any way. If anything, it just raises your profile and visibility, and encourages people to learn more about you.

This is how people come together and get to know each other. They learn to enjoy each other's stuff. That's how the "melting pot" originally worked, that's how it's supposed to work. It's like some liberals have come full circle and now they SUPPORT segregation. Fuck you, and your college professor
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 480x476) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 480x476
>>17246350
Faggot
>>
>>17245895
White nerd here, grew up on the outskirts of the hood. All my friends are black, all my friends love nerdy shit right along with me.
>>
>>17246355

But picture A isn't possible in America at this point, everyone's already mixed together.

Does this mean people need to stop "appropriating white culture" and using our inventions? Think it through
>>
>>17246195
What a fucking bizarre comment.
>>
>>17245895
>realize every one of these things is well... medieval. it's european. White.

OP, what if I also started disliking anime because I don't have pointy eyes, huh?

Seriously, OP, grow a pair.

I also lived in Portugal most of my life and half of my friends were from Cabo Verde and Angola and Mozambique... that didn't stop any of them from participating in milenar traditions/celebrations just like white folks did... in fact we had a blast together.

Dude, you can still read harry potter and LOTR (or even watch anime, like I do) without feeling that you're betraying your ancestral roots.
>>
bro your all good in this day and age anyone can mingle with any culture it doesnt matter whats on the surface its the inside thats important. look at it as if your broadening the horizons of who you are forget about social stereotypes and just live life the way you want
>>
>>17246370
White countries are the ONLY countries where picture B is happening.

What countries will be for whites anymore? Hm? None, because that'd be racist!
>>
>>17246384

>White countries are the ONLY countries where picture B is happening.

How can you possibly believe that's true? Judged globally, racial tension/culture clash in the modern US is very tame. Look at Zimbabwe, Brazil, the Dominican Republic, Pakistan, Syria, Indonesia, South Africa, the Philippines, the list could go on and on
>>
Like what you like, my man. If you like it, and it's not hurting you or anyone else, what's the problem? If it's good, it's good.
>>
>>17246395
Hmm I actually never considered third world nations. My bad, I feel pretty silly now
>>
>>17246410

>White countries are the only countries in the entire world having trouble with multiculturalism!!
>Whoops, I guess I forgot to take the rest of the entire world into account
>>
>>17246410
90% of the world's population is in the third world
>>
>>17246417
I'm just not interested in continuing this anymore so I ceded
>>
I guess asians cannot like egyptology either!!!

OP this is pointless. Go see PF/5e artwork and you'll see this isn't off.
>>
>>17246370
>But picture A isn't possible in America at this point, everyone's already mixed together.
So this means this should happen in Europe as well?
>>
>>17246497
Allahu akbar
>>
Your culture is what you want it to be. Look at all the white folks hanging onto hip hoppity culture like a scraggly beard. That's not white culture at all, but they own that crap and make it theirs.

Also, let's say you and I met. I'm white, and we're into the same stuff. We have something in common that is more important than the amount of melanin in our skin: Neither one of us grew up in medieval Europe, or would fit in while visiting the Europe of today. We're into things that are based on a culture we have NEVER been a part of. But it's our culture now, and I'll throat-punch someone who tells me I'm not German enough to love me a good Hussar. I'm a fuckin American and I'll do what I want, BITCH.
>>
>>17245895
How would you feel if I was a white guy and was super into Japanese animation and video games? Am I doing a disservice to someone by enjoying the works of another culture? White medieval fantasy writers don't write for white people or to preserve white culture, they write because they love fantasy and want to share that with others.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.