[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Work or continue college meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1465087201792.jpg (195 KB, 1012x968) Image search: [Google]
1465087201792.jpg
195 KB, 1012x968
I'm at a fork in the road and idk what the fuck to do.

I've been in college for 2 years working on a nursing degree and have nothing to show for it but some college credits and a ton of financial and academic stress.

I live in southeast TX and there's a TON of industrial work in this area that pays great. Anyways, one of my friends works for an industrial contractor (Martin Marietta) and told me he could get me a job operating a concrete mixer truck for about $22/hr, full benefits, "rain out" job so if it rains you just stay home and still get paid for 8 hrs, paid vacation and holidays, as much overtime as you want, etc.

And then on the other hand I have 2 and a half YEARS of school left for my nursing degree, where a fresh grad nurse can expect to make about $25/hr in this area.

I'm really torn, the concrete job is honestly so fucking tempting. The only thing holding me back is that it wouldn't exactly be the fulfilling, lifesaving, gratifying thing I wanted to do with nursing.

TLDR: $22/hr job now with great benefits, or continue college meme for 2 and a half more years for $25/hr

also note that with either path, I want to start my own business once marijuana is medically/recreationally legalized in TX, so would I be better of just taking the concrete job while I wait?
>>
>>17245459
Why can't you work the mixer job and go to school at the same time?
>>
>>17245512
wouldn't be able to attend clinical hours with a full time schedule
>>
>>17245459
Industrial jobs are disappearing. Construction work dies during recessions. There are signs that the economy never truly recovered and is heading for another bad run. Finish school. Search for a part-time construction job that fits around clinical hours.
>>
>>17245598
they're not going anywhere in this area
>>
>>17245698
getting the nursing degree is by far the better option, but if you don't want to put up with the stress of being a student (lol) then the construction industry isn't a terrible alternative. I'd recommend finishing the degree if you can.
>>
The starting wage might be similar, but the earning potential is greatly different. My dad was in college to be an accountant, dropped out to work in manufacturing. His salary now is less than when he started if you adjust for inflation. If he had finished his degree and had been an accountant for 30 years, he would be making around twice as much as he does now.
>>
shit I could be a professor
where do I sign up to teach the history of memes? I've been in this trash heap since 2002 on somethingawful
I could do a whole class on the evolution of cockmongler and I bet nobody here even remembers that one.
>>
>>17246250
2004 here....shit its been so long
>>
>>17246250
I was a join4goon faggot, fell in love with the forums, kek
>>
>>17245598
are you from the moon or just rich and a child? nothing you said makes any sense.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.